Flare Audio – FLARES® – (R2.x successor) KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN
Jun 9, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #241 of 544
@holden4th new Flares are clear step up from all previous range but are closest to R2pro's in tonality and fullness of sound.
I've also had the chance to listen to Campfire Vega and they're not even close to Flares Pro sound quality. Price is not a factor here. Vegas have exaggerated bass quantity to the point it stopped being acceptable and it's not really high quality bass. It may change with more burn-in but how much can they change really? Andromeda's are far better tha Vega's but I still prefer new Flares (and old ones too to be honest).

Be aware though - new foams from Flare are extremely fragile - I've already managed to broke two pairs - and I'm always careful with new products. @all999 has also broken one pair.
So be careful everyone! Especially since they're not currently available for purchase.

Can you explain under what situation of handling that the foams are broken?

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #242 of 544
I have never seen any reviewer claim wireless sounds better than wired.

Yet. Ever thought they may be sponsored/connected to a cable manufacturers? It's a large business.
Aptx HD supports 48kHz / 24bit. It's more than most of us ever needed. Wireless Flares Pro sounds better to me than my last setup DX200 + Andromeda.

Can you explain under what situation of handling that the foams are broken?

Gently pulling off to replace with another tips. Testing new earphones as usual.

20170609_121343.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #243 of 544
Yet. Ever thought they may be sponsored/connected to a cable manufacturers? It's a large business.
Aptx HD supports 48kHz / 24bit. It's more than most of us ever needed. Wireless Flares Pro sounds better to me than my last setup DX200 + Andromeda.

Gently pulling off to replace with another tips. Testing new earphones as usual.

So, use of fingernails to hopefully grab that center yellow cylinder is key to keep these from ripping off the center when removing.

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #244 of 544
Nope. Mine broke off while inserting in ear. So you also can't insert them too deep.
You all need to be careful but there's still big chance you'll broke yours as well. It's just that fragile.

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #245 of 544
@barondla you can play whatever you want 24/192 or even DSD - music app will handle it an converse to 24/48. Human ear can't possibly hear the difference. It's just that 24/192 albums are usually effect of new mastering, that's why they sound better. When you convert them to 16/44.1 they will still sound just as good - don't kid yourself. Or please do - spend whatever you want if you think more money spent = better sound with no regards to reality.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #246 of 544
Well, I stream Tidal via wi-fi to my DAC/Amp. My transport recieves the signal via wi-fi.
Don't mix up wireless phones (which is crap in general) and wireless data transfer. It does not really matter if the signal came through the wire or the air, it's just the data transfer.
Not sure about bluetooth though...

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #247 of 544
@holden4th new Flares are clear step up from all previous range but are closest to R2pro's in tonality and fullness of sound.
I've also had the chance to listen to Campfire Vega and they're not even close to Flares Pro sound quality. Price is not a factor here. Vegas have exaggerated bass quantity to the point it stopped being acceptable and it's not really high quality bass. It may change with more burn-in but how much can they change really? Andromeda's are far better tha Vega's but I still prefer new Flares (and old ones too to be honest).

I don't know about the new PRO (which I might get BTW, I am interrested by a quality bluetooth option) but while the R2 Pro are amazing value for money and I like them, they're not at all in Vega territory in terms of clarity, layering, texture and imaging (and of course they don't pack the same punch by far). I think you should read the Vega thread a bit and see how many of us concur than 200 hours is a minimum burn-in time to get the real picture. Also, source is critical, Vega crave power if they're underpowered well... you don't get what they can offer. Also I would recommend a neutral source with them, if you give a listen on a warmer DAC/Amp then it will definitely be too much. With DX200 balanced they just sing like no other dynamic driver (I have still to hear The Dream though).

Jun 9, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #248 of 544
I don't know about the new PRO (which I might get BTW, I am interrested by a quality bluetooth option) but while the R2 Pro are amazing value for money and I like them, they're not at all in Vega territory in terms of clarity, layering, texture and imaging (and of course they don't pack the same punch by far). I think you should read the Vega thread a bit and see how many of us concur than 200 hours is a minimum burn-in time to get the real picture. Also, source is critical, Vega crave power if they're underpowered well... you don't get what they can offer. Also I would recommend a neutral source with them, if you give a listen on a warmer DAC/Amp then it will definitely be too much. With DX200 balanced they just sing like no other dynamic driver (I have still to hear The Dream though).

When these were first mooted last year, I had planned to get the PROs to give me an alternative sound to the aluminium cased R2As.

I've also been reading the Vega thread with a lot of interest over the last few months. At the moment the cheapest I can get them is $AUS1700 which is a hell of a lot of money for a set of iems. I am tempted to either save up or jump on a used pair. Despite the fact that I'm now of pensionable age, my hearing is still above average for my age and I like Deep House, EDM etc. I am also a classical music aficionado and it takes a good set of monitors to deliver that spatial separation needed for a great listening experience. While my IE80s were good, the Flares were a revelation in this regard in delivering a much more realistic experience of, say, what a cello string sounds like when the bow is drawn across it.

Power to drive the Vegas won't be an issue as I'll use them at home. I've got the Fiio E7/E9 DAC/Amp combo which would certainly drive the Vegas if the specs I read are accurate. They certainly made my hard to drive HD580s sound so much better.

The downside is that the Vegas are three times the price. While I am aware of the concept of the law of diminishing returns, all the reviews I've read of the Vegas suggest that they are without peer in the DD world.

I'm going on vacation at the end of the week so this will forestall any decision to buy the PROs. Great to have such knowledgeable feedback.

Jun 10, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #250 of 544
Anyone know or confirmed with Flare if that Y-splitter to 3.5mm TRS accessory has shared grounds? If not, easy to swap out with a balanced connector.

Also, how heavy is that Y-splitter? The size reminds of the L/R Y-splitter block on the previous Flares.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #251 of 544
Anyone know or confirmed with Flare if that Y-splitter to 3.5mm TRS accessory has shared grounds? If not, easy to swap out with a balanced connector.

Also, how heavy is that Y-splitter? The size reminds of the L/R Y-splitter block on the previous Flares.

Splitter is very light. I don't know about shared grounds but it's not easy to swap since to my knowledge this is a first of a kind solution.

@hongky You can order such cable from any custom cable makers I think. But it's something new because it has to end with mmcx sockets instead of mmcx connectors as is usually the case.

@davidmolliere I can't argue with what you're saying because I don't know how much burn-in the pair that I've tested had. But - it wasn't fresh out of the box and it was a demo so if Vegas really need 200h then either store or manufacturer screwed up putting up for tests a product that doesn't sound as it should.

Anyhow - I'm guessing you didn't hear R2pro the right way either... It's very hard to find right synergy for them. They can sound great out of good smartphone, but when you find the right DAP, then the magic begins...
If you have a chance listen to them with Colorfly C4 (via 6.3mm jack) - it's an end game pairing when it comes to natural, musical, organic presentation. It still won't pack a punch like Vegas but that's not the point.
Andromeda is more widely praised than Vegas and I'm sure I've heard this one with its full potential and still choose Flares (old ones).
When it comes to clarity, details and layering, try R2A with iBasso DX100 and you'll be blown away. Another end game pair. But still Vegas will have an upper hand in punch and probably texture.

When it comes to comparing Vegas to new Flares... My guess is Vegas will loose on all accounts. But that's just my guess :)
It's great that we have such a great selection of audio gear...

Jun 10, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #252 of 544
There is a 30 day money back guarantee with the Flares - I'm sure they'd send you some new foams. Sounds like a manufacturing fault to me - the centres shouldn't detach like that. All your old tips from the R2s will fit though, Comply T200 compatible

Personally I prefer this limited release to a kickstarter. The thought of having to wait yet another couple of months.... and kickstarter can mean they are inundated with orders that they find too hard to fulfill so if they were too popular then that would cause even further delays. This way there is control and planning and we can get them straight away, the next day after the release even! If only I'd seen the email a couple of hours earlier (pesky work) and mine would have arrived already.

Jun 10, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #253 of 544
Would never use these with Cr*ppy sounding wireless. These are pro IEMs. I want the best sound possible. Wireless doesn't even belong on a product with this supposed sound quality. Like putting mud tires on a Ferrari. They should have released these with the balanced adapters. That can improve sonics. I won't even consider purchasing until the balanced adapters are available. Burned once, not again.

You've probably purchased balanced cables from cable companies before - just request they use female mmcx as terminations. Shame though that it would only be from half the cable so not worth going crazy with fancy conductors.

Jun 10, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #254 of 544
So lets play Dave Brubeck - Time Out at 176.4/24, Supertramp - Crime Of The Century 192/24, The Eagles - Hotel California 192/24, Soundgarden - Superunknown 192/24, etc. Oops, won't play via Bluetooth. Guess the AK kit wins in this situation. No point in trying this experiment. I have too much music in resolutions higher than 96/24.

The Flares w/Wireless may sound better than some other equipment wired, doesn't mean the Flares won't sound even better hooked direct. I have never seen any reviewer claim wireless sounds better than wired.

Wireless is NOT for sound quality. It is for other, practical reasons. If you don't need wireless headphones then of course don't pay extra for something you wont need.

This *could* be a very very great wireless adapter - I guess another thing to test - that Flare has come up with? No point putting it down becuase it's wireless, only put it down if it's bad wireless.

Jun 10, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #255 of 544
There is a 30 day money back guarantee with the Flares - I'm sure they'd send you some new foams. Sounds like a manufacturing fault to me - the centres shouldn't detach like that. All your old tips from the R2s will fit though, Comply T200 compatible

Yes, they fit but I prefer broken "audiophile" tips.
Yes, they will send me new foams but I have to pay for it.

It's a bummer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back