Flare Audio – FLARES® – (R2.x successor) KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN
Jun 13, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #271 of 544
Another great feature of these IEM's is the comfort levels, they are light and very comfortable like the R2's were. They are marginally longer but not that would really notice once they are in the ear.

:)

20170609_122558.jpg 20170609_122657.jpg

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #272 of 544
Oh and the cable is a massive improvement!

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #273 of 544
Ok, I've given the BT module a wee quick play on my Iphone 7+ using Spotify. It works really well, probably better sound quality than wired to my phone but this is only a very quick test and would probably take with a pinch of salt until I can check at more length but a very positive start.

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #274 of 544
Very quick few tracks using HF player with Flac tracks on the Iphone and again good results. This so far for me is very promising for a wireless solution for smartphones.

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #275 of 544
My impressions are similar to the above - a feeling of more detail across the range compared to R2Pros. It's not massive change : noticeable but subtle.

I ended feeling it a more relaxed listen too, especially with dance stuff with pumping bass. Is just as deep and present (actually, perhaps slightly stronger?) but it held my attention more, more drawn into the sound rather than it slowly getting on my nerves.

Perhaps that's a sign of less distortion by comparison?

I can see why those tips failed - they are really gripped hard by the body of the iem! One can see the differences in shape of the body from the pictures posted up - slightly longer and less smooth at the rear of the tip shift thing. Plus the new tips have a more rubberised internal collar than say the plastic of Complys. A little lubrication was needed to get the tips on the first time i.e. a lick.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #276 of 544
Looks to be 4 conductors in the cable to the jack - wonder if the Flare jack snaps together some how and can be opened..

Coming back for another listen - theres more attack and texture to the sound than the R2, which in my mind is the same as saying more detail. Not a massive difference, I'd like to say again, but noticable.

Jun 13, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #277 of 544
Looking at the old R2s beside the new PRO, the barrels are a different length but the tips seem to be the same. I have acrylic custom shells on my R2As. I am wondering if they would fit the new Flares. Is it easy to take the shells off one pair of iems and attach them to another?

Jun 13, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #278 of 544
Looking at the old R2s beside the new PRO, the barrels are a different length but the tips seem to be the same. I have acrylic custom shells on my R2As. I am wondering if they would fit the new Flares. Is it easy to take the shells off one pair of iems and attach them to another?

I was swapping tips between my r2s and the Flares Pro ok. Easy isn't the word because of the tight fit on the new iem - gripping foam tips to pull them off wasn't easy without breaking them but putting them on was fine.

I bet your custom shells will be ok too.

Jun 14, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #279 of 544
I was swapping tips between my r2s and the Flares Pro ok. Easy isn't the word because of the tight fit on the new iem - gripping foam tips to pull them off wasn't easy without breaking them but putting them on was fine.

I bet your custom shells will be ok too.

So it won't be a problem to prise the acrylic shells from my R2As? They seem quite well connected and I don't want to break anything.

Jun 14, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #280 of 544
That would depend on your particular shells. I think only someone with the same shells would be able to help you. I can only say that the Flares take any tip that is the same as the Comply 200 size - a standard size. Maybe your shells are not designed to be removed ever? I would ask the people who made them.

Jun 14, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #281 of 544
Didn't see the 30 Day | Money Back Guarantee, ordered!
We shall see :)

Jun 15, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #282 of 544
Got mine, they're brighter yet less peakier than what I remember of R2Pro (currently out of service). The box is very huge for an IEM, I wasn't expecting that, they really took the criticism about the packaging to heart heh.

Gotta use foam tips to show their full potential, silicone tips kinda kill the bass.

Jun 15, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #283 of 544
I suppose that would also depend on what sort of silicone tips you are using. I've noticed that the Spiral Dots perform differently to the Spinfits. I also wonder if seal with some silicone tips would also be an issue. I am ambivalent about these at the moment. I've not seen a post that says that they will out perform my R2As but then again, how many of those who've posted have heard the R2As?
My final thought: "Is this a $AUS400 pair of iems with a $AUS200 bluetooth add on?" I love my R2As but I also know that in the DD market they can be improved on. The same level (or better) of bass with better top end clarity and detail would certainly interest me.

Jun 15, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #284 of 544
Got mine, they're brighter yet less peakier than what I remember of R2Pro (currently out of service). The box is very huge for an IEM, I wasn't expecting that, they really took the criticism about the packaging to heart heh. Gotta use foam tips to show their full potential, silicone tips kinda kill the bass.

I'll get mine tomorrow if DHL goes well :)
I'll sure try their audiophile tips first (with care, as they appear to be very fragile...)

By brighter, you mean better clarity and transparency or better treble extension (or both)?
Which source did you use?

I am very curious about what a bluetooth /DAC module tuned specifically for the Flare PRO, with balanced out...

Jun 15, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #285 of 544
I suppose that would also depend on what sort of silicone tips you are using. I've noticed that the Spiral Dots perform differently to the Spinfits. I also wonder if seal with some silicone tips would also be an issue. I am ambivalent about these at the moment. I've not seen a post that says that they will out perform my R2As but then again, how many of those who've posted have heard the R2As?
My final thought: "Is this a $AUS400 pair of iems with a $AUS200 bluetooth add on?" I love my R2As but I also know that in the DD market they can be improved on. The same level (or better) of bass with better top end clarity and detail would certainly interest me.

Not heard the R2A but they do outperform my R2pro's in all aspects, esp the soundstage and highs. The BT module seems to be a worthwhile addition from my limited testing so far. I kind of look at is I am happy with the £350 paid for the earphones, they outperform iem's that I have paid higher amounts for plus I get this fancy wee BT module almost as an added extra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back