Flare Audio – FLARES® – (R2.x successor) KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN
Jun 10, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #256 of 544
That's unusual for Flare compared to all the replacement cables they provided for free. I would say those foams are not fit for purpose : comsumer rights and all that (ok, UK consumer rights..).

Out of interest, what are the silicone tips like and how do they compare ? For some people, foam tips are just a no no (I don't understand them.. ).

Jun 10, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #257 of 544
@LuckyNat like all999 wrote - we can only buy spare foams and at a very steep price. Given that new ones will be as fragile as old ones that could mean 20£ per week for foams. That's unacceptable - never had this problem with Complys, only 1$ Chinese foams broke like that (not as fast though).

Jun 10, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #259 of 544
That's unusual for Flare compared to all the replacement cables they provided for free. I would say those foams are not fit for purpose : comsumer rights and all that (ok, UK consumer rights..).

Out of interest, what are the silicone tips like and how do they compare ? For some people, foam tips are just a no no (I don't understand them.. ).

Silicon tips are useless - those are Flares like the old ones :), foams only.
I've had the same experience as you with cable replacement so I was kind of surprised when I received a message that they can send me foams but for a full retail price and as a special favour since they don't sell those yet.

Jun 10, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #260 of 544
Been waiting for these to come out, the R2pro are one of my favorite IEM's so hopefully these will surpass those. Hopefully tips will be fine, if not they will go back!

Jun 11, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #262 of 544
@davidmolliere I can't argue with what you're saying because I don't know how much burn-in the pair that I've tested had. But - it wasn't fresh out of the box and it was a demo so if Vegas really need 200h then either store or manufacturer screwed up putting up for tests a product that doesn't sound as it should.

Anyhow - I'm guessing you didn't hear R2pro the right way either... It's very hard to find right synergy for them. They can sound great out of good smartphone, but when you find the right DAP, then the magic begins...
If you have a chance listen to them with Colorfly C4 (via 6.3mm jack) - it's an end game pairing when it comes to natural, musical, organic presentation. It still won't pack a punch like Vegas but that's not the point.
Andromeda is more widely praised than Vegas and I'm sure I've heard this one with its full potential and still choose Flares (old ones).
When it comes to clarity, details and layering, try R2A with iBasso DX100 and you'll be blown away. Another end game pair. But still Vegas will have an upper hand in punch and probably texture.

When it comes to comparing Vegas to new Flares... My guess is Vegas will loose on all accounts. But that's just my guess :)
It's great that we have such a great selection of audio gear...

What is true of the R2 Pro is true of the Vega, pairing is of the essence and yes Andromeda is more widely praised but the Vega will be polarizing people with their sig.
I have run R2 Pro with the ZX2, WM1A and DX200 I don't have a ColorFly C4 handy but basically what you're saying is try with a warmer sounding DAP?

About X "beating" Y I have never seen that hobby that way, as it's also down to personal preferences in terms of sound sig and not only purely "technical" performance. I for one always highly favored IEMs and headphones that trigger and emotional response from me no matter what price range or technical abilities. Flare is known for providing great value for money, but the Vega sure are a kind of their own if anything for their unique tuning.

I'll report back if I go for the new Flare with impressions :)

Jun 12, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #263 of 544
I'm always a cynic when it comes to audiophile mentions of emotion.. If it's the sound quality that causes an emotional response then the music isn't very good. Chord changes , lyrics surely trigger emotion and they are present on the worst of equipment. Emotional response also is 90% about your feelings on a particular day aren't they? Anyway, that's a personal opinion.

Jun 12, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #264 of 544
Has anyone from the US bought a pair of these? If so, are you willing to say how much they cost you?

The Flare website lists them as costing £349, which quickly changes to $442.09 once the website detects my location. When I add them to my cart, the price starts as £349, quickly changes to $442.09, and then quickly changes again to $713.59. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Edit: Asked too soon. I changed the currency to GBP instead of USD and it now reports $442.09.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #265 of 544
What is true of the R2 Pro is true of the Vega, pairing is of the essence and yes Andromeda is more widely praised but the Vega will be polarizing people with their sig.
I have run R2 Pro with the ZX2, WM1A and DX200 I don't have a ColorFly C4 handy but basically what you're saying is try with a warmer sounding DAP?

About X "beating" Y I have never seen that hobby that way, as it's also down to personal preferences in terms of sound sig and not only purely "technical" performance. I for one always highly favored IEMs and headphones that trigger and emotional response from me no matter what price range or technical abilities. Flare is known for providing great value for money, but the Vega sure are a kind of their own if anything for their unique tuning.

I'll report back if I go for the new Flare with impressions :)

No - first of all Colorfly C4 is not really warm sounding DAP - it's neutral, there's no obvious coloration to the sound but it's very organic and full-sounding. Organic, big sound with focus on kind of soft and a bit emphasized midbass section can give an impression that it's warm.
And no, I'm not saying to try it with particular kind of DAP - I'm saying which DAP. That's the case with Flares - you can't really anticipate which source will be perfect for them - you have to try it and see.

Jun 13, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #266 of 544
I'm always a cynic when it comes to audiophile mentions of emotion.. If it's the sound quality that causes an emotional response then the music isn't very good. Chord changes , lyrics surely trigger emotion and they are present on the worst of equipment. Emotional response also is 90% about your feelings on a particular day aren't they? Anyway, that's a personal opinion.

I get your point but ever listened to a great track on lousy portable or crappy headphones and just get plain annoyed which detracts from the emotion of music? Or else, a concert with lousy setup? Or a great piece being badly played live?

Well it's not all about the music being intrinsically good, but also being conveyed/portrayed "properly", and I don't have the right term since many gear portray music differently and that was my initial point I don't care much for absolute accuracy but I do pick the gear that portrays music in the way I like and get me involved in it and appreciating it like a fine wine or spirit.

That's why there is no point in saying X is better than Y as it will always depends on your preferences (unless you aim at perfect accuracy if that can be measured... and we're not computers :p There is a reason why psycho-accoustics exists and the brain is a tricky thing :D).

No - first of all Colorfly C4 is not really warm sounding DAP - it's neutral, there's no obvious coloration to the sound but it's very organic and full-sounding. Organic, big sound with focus on kind of soft and a bit emphasized midbass section can give an impression that it's warm.
And no, I'm not saying to try it with particular kind of DAP - I'm saying which DAP. That's the case with Flares - you can't really anticipate which source will be perfect for them - you have to try it and see.

Ok I stand corrected I misunderstood, yep synergy is of the essence and sometimes it's hard to find.
I still have the R2pro and enjoy them, just not as much as the Vega :)

Edit : I did give the R2Pro a much longer listen with the DX200 (amp 1) today, did some tip rolling too as tip selection is very sensitive on the R2 Pro IMHO. I enjoy the RHA Dual Density the best.

I forgot how relaxed a listen they are compared to the Vega :p
I could see myself shooting for the new Pro there, before it runs out of stock...

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #267 of 544
My new Pro's arrived today and initial impressions are very positive.
First off the packaging is awesome, lovely box! Not tried the wireless module but will over the next few days.

Have been listening to the R2pro's quite a bit the last few days in preparation for these arriving. Using the Fiio X5 mk3 as my source with a mixture of Spotify and Flac tracks.

The sound from the new Flares is not overly dissimilar to the R2's. The bass response is to me much the same, retains the slam that I love about the R2 but once again it doesn't muddy the other frequencies, if anything it is maybe a little more refined. What I do notice this time round is more detail in the highs and a little more space and air to the overall sound, these are another great IEM from Flare.

Jun 13, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #268 of 544
My new Pro's arrived today and initial impressions are very positive.
First off the packaging is awesome, lovely box! Not tried the wireless module but will over the next few days.

Have been listening to the R2pro's quite a bit the last few days in preparation for these arriving. Using the Fiio X5 mk3 as my source with a mixture of Spotify and Flac tracks.

The sound from the new Flares is not overly dissimilar to the R2's. The bass response is to me much the same, retains the slam that I love about the R2 but once again it doesn't muddy the other frequencies, if anything it is maybe a little more refined. What I do notice this time round is more detail in the highs and a little more space and air to the overall sound, these are another great IEM from Flare.

I look forward to your impressions, I wouldn't discount the bluetooth module unless I am mistaken it is balanced out and might be (times are changing) a very compelling (superior to single ended cable ?) option especially for people that don't have audiophile DAPs and run things out of their phone. I am one inch from pulling the trigger for that very reason as an alternative during vacations where I move a lot and don't want to carry round 2K+ gear :p

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #269 of 544
I look forward to your impressions, I wouldn't discount the bluetooth module unless I am mistaken it is balanced out and might be (times are changing) a very compelling (superior to single ended cable ?) option especially for people that don't have audiophile DAPs and run things out of their phone. I am one inch from pulling the trigger for that very reason as an alternative during vacations where I move a lot and don't want to carry round 2K+ gear :p

I've not discounted the BT module, quite looking forward to hearing what it can do, if I get a chance will have a little test later today.

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #270 of 544
Another great feature of these IEM's is the comfort levels, they are light and very comfortable like the R2's were. They are marginally longer but not that would really notice once they are in the ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back