Flare Audio – FLARES® – (R2.x successor) KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN
Jun 8, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #226 of 544
@xoxiax
1) weirdly enough, isolation is more or less the same as in old ones. I still have to test them outside but for now rest assured it's very good or great.
2) From what you're saying R2pro should already be good enough for you. But yes, there's more midbass and subbass than in R2A's - there's more body and more punch while retaining or even improving clarity and resolution. I definitely wouldn't call them basshead IEMs but they're definitely not bass-shy either. I would like a tad more subbass and a little less midbass but it's great the way it is.

I can already tell you that Campfire Andromeda have probably better treble and Sony MDR-EX1000 have still a little better subbass but overall they both are inferior to Flare Pro. You can't have it all but with Flares you get plenty and then some. Highly recommended.

Thanks!!!
Sounds really promising, hope they launch soon a cheaper version without all the extras i don't need. I just want the bettered little flares with a stronger fixed cable. How i'd love some Flare Audio's information about it....

Jun 9, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #230 of 544
According to Flares website (thanks RobA for the tip about changing browsers) I can get these for $AUS589.19. That might be even less after the UK elections with the way the GB pound is plummeting. Before I do fork out I would need to know that these are a significant upgrade on R2As. The bass on the R2As is quite exceptional, especially in the lower registers. The one area they do lack is that the high end is a little polite. While this means that I can use these for hours, I do feel that I am missing out on some of the detail with chamber music. I like the R2As so much that I got custom shells for them. From what I read in many reviews, both here and elsewhere, the R2As bass slam, depth and accuracy was superior to the R2Pros.

I was also hoping for a kickstarter campaign but them's the breaks.

If there is not a significant improvement with the Flare Pro then I suppose I'll just have to stack away my dollars to eventually get the Campfire Audio Vegas. Until then I'll read any reviews with great interest.

Jun 9, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #231 of 544
@holden4th I did a brief listening last night and it's a clear step up over R2S, I don't have R2Pro, sorry. Don't know how they compare to each other.

About Vegas, give them a proper listening session before buying. I didn't like them, mostly for bloated bass region.

Jun 9, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #232 of 544
@holden4th new Flares are clear step up from all previous range but are closest to R2pro's in tonality and fullness of sound.
I've also had the chance to listen to Campfire Vega and they're not even close to Flares Pro sound quality. Price is not a factor here. Vegas have exaggerated bass quantity to the point it stopped being acceptable and it's not really high quality bass. It may change with more burn-in but how much can they change really? Andromeda's are far better tha Vega's but I still prefer new Flares (and old ones too to be honest).

Be aware though - new foams from Flare are extremely fragile - I've already managed to broke two pairs - and I'm always careful with new products. @all999 has also broken one pair.
So be careful everyone! Especially since they're not currently available for purchase.

Jun 9, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #234 of 544
I think the three models outlined at the beginning will be stuck to. Davies mentioned something like a sub £99 price point for the lowest model at the show I met him at - but that was March 2016 and things change, including Brexit and 20%+ fall in the value of the £ !

Jun 9, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #235 of 544
To the first happy owners – could please guys make a comparison with any Balanced Armature IEMs at the same price range to understand how the Flares Pro perform in terms of instrument separation and details retrieval?

Do that later, I'd rather a comparison with balanced armature models that sound as good and then see how they differ on price. Hopefully wil be as good as things twice the price (or 4 times if you factor in a price without the wireless module) ?

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #236 of 544
[QUOTE="barondla, post: 13533967, member: . Have zero use for the dac blu tooth box. Too limited resolution. I have 24/192 and DSD. Very surprised they are using mmcx to hook to the box. Many aren't fans of mmcx for reliability.

[/QUOTE]

But the wireless protocols can't handle those resolutions so a DAC handling them would be wasted and add cost. I wouldn't be surprised though if the dac chips used can handle it, but the receiver can't.

Mmcx is one kind of standard mean compatability with other cables. I guess though a female to female coupler would be required for now until a balanced cable is released specifically.

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #237 of 544
Would never use these with Cr*ppy sounding wireless. These are pro IEMs. I want the best sound possible. Wireless doesn't even belong on a product with this supposed sound quality. Like putting mud tires on a Ferrari. They should have released these with the balanced adapters. That can improve sonics. I won't even consider purchasing until the balanced adapters are available. Burned once, not again.

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #238 of 544
Spare tips will cost 20£ for 3 pairs and will be released in following months - not to soon I think.
Given that while being careful I've managed to broke 2 pairs within 24h - that's big letdown. If you want your new Flares to sound their best you have to be prepared for additional cost - and it won't be small.

Thankfully they sound great with Comply' though much darker and bassier and because of that less clear an detailed - but I'm sure some people will prefer that.

On other topic - I've tested isolation and while it's not as good as on the old Flares it's still good and above average.

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #239 of 544
Would never use these with Cr*ppy sounding wireless. These are pro IEMs. I want the best sound possible. Wireless doesn't even belong on a product with this supposed sound quality. Like putting mud tires on a Ferrari. They should have released these with the balanced adapters. That can improve sonics. I won't even consider purchasing until the balanced adapters are available. Burned once, not again.

They sound better wireless than flagship customs with flagship AK (Custom Art Harmony 8.2 + A&K AK380).
Don't judge before your try something!

Jun 9, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #240 of 544
So lets play Dave Brubeck - Time Out at 176.4/24, Supertramp - Crime Of The Century 192/24, The Eagles - Hotel California 192/24, Soundgarden - Superunknown 192/24, etc. Oops, won't play via Bluetooth. Guess the AK kit wins in this situation. No point in trying this experiment. I have too much music in resolutions higher than 96/24.

The Flares w/Wireless may sound better than some other equipment wired, doesn't mean the Flares won't sound even better hooked direct. I have never seen any reviewer claim wireless sounds better than wired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back