:flag_sg: CanJam Singapore 2016 (20 February - 21 February)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #361 of 732
For those thinking about food options in Singapore here are some recommendations...essentially the locals like myself will go to these places, and you can't go too wrong!

Mind you, food in Singapore is not that cheap compared to Malaysia or Indonesia, and alcohol is quite expensive as well.

Around Pan Pacific hotel area

1. Suntec city - Just a walk across Pan Pacific hotel, there are lots of dining options around the world's largest fountain.  Some of my favourite places there includes Muthu Curry (famous for their Fish head curry), Din Tai Fung (Chinese food), Kay Lee Roasted Meat (roasted duck, pork belly, honey baked pork collar), Tonkichi
2.  Marina Square - Connected to the Pan Pacific Hotel itself.  The place to try out would be Wee Nam Kee Chicken Rice (one of Singapore's signature local dish), Ah Lam's Cuisine (noodles and salt baked chicken).

Slightly further away but worth the trip

1. Old Airport Road food centre - lots of really good local hawker fare, be prepared to queue for the more popular stalls.
2. People's Park Market
3. Tekka Market (right next to Little India, lots of really good, soulful India and Chinese food there)
4. Bugis area/ Albert Street food court - located near Sim Lim Square where you can find all kinds of electronics gadget.

Avoid

Satay by the Bay, Glutton by the Bay, Marina Bay Sands (unless you're prepared to pay through your nose), the infamous Newton Hawker Centre (ultimate tourist trap).
Hotel food are ridiculously overpriced.

Try this if you dare

Durian season has just started and those who dare to take on the challenge can try them out around the Bugis area.

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #362 of 732
Kallang / Geylang is stone throw away from the expo / Suntec area. Just couple of MRT stops away. If you can share your budget, I am sure some of us can recommend some places for you. Alternatively, you can check out website like www.asiatravel.com. Or use the hotel $$$ for some new toys at the expo :nerd:

Kallang/ Geylang has some of the best food for the money..Do note that Geylang is the red-light district area, so it does get a bit seedy after dark...

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #364 of 732
Clear Tune Monitors, Custom Art, Eartech Music, Effect Audio, InEarZ, Lime Ears, Norne Audio, Rhines Custom Monitors, and Whiplash Audio Dynamics added to exhibitor list!
So...... Music Sactuary? :joy:

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #366 of 732
I never been to big event like this. I wonder that's the do and don't at CanJam?

I'm still thinking if I should stay near Chinatown or commute from JB.

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #367 of 732
I never been to big event like this. I wonder that's the do and don't at CanJam?

JB...use the hotel $$$ for new toys :nerd:

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #368 of 732

Unless you've  never made the trip from Malaysia to Singapore (!), I'm guessing you'll be fine. As for the event itself, the golden rule I follow at ANY hobbyist event is 'Dont be a dick'. From memory, Malaysians have a reasonable understanding of line etiquette : I cant say that the same holds true for everyone in that region. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #369 of 732

Unless you've  never made the trip from Malaysia to Singapore (!), I'm guessing you'll be fine. As for the event itself, the golden rule I follow at ANY hobbyist event is 'Dont be a dick'. From memory, Malaysians have a reasonable understanding of line etiquette : I cant say that the same holds true for everyone in that region. 

In addition to not being one, don't show yours too.... LOL

Sorry for the bad pun... just really bored at work. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #370 of 732
Haha thanks for the reply guys.

I've been to singapore numerous time. Still have my Cepas easylink. I'm from North Malaysia. Perak state. Getting to and around central part of singapore are relatively "kacang" compared to Kuala Lumpur.

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #371 of 732
Agreed - central Singapore is a breeze compared to central KL. One thing I do find odd is that cab drivers - in every other respect the best in Asia - dont relate to street numbers : they want the name of the building. When I asked what happens when the tenant with naming rights moves out of that building, my cab driver just smiled - clearly that sort of thing is beyond the understanding of a mere Gwailo  :)

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #373 of 732
Sitting here in Terminal 1 at SIA waiting for my connection to BKK, I can easily imagine the throng of Head-Fiers dashing to the Arrivals Hall a little over a month from now. Every time I come here, they've moved a little closer to the dream of automating the airport - cant say I'm overly confident that my bag will end up where it needs to, but in hindsight the system is only replicating what the human check-in staff would have done once the tag was in place. About the only tips I can give you are universal the world over - avoid the Money Exchanges (notoriously poor rates at the airport vs those in the city) and the food but other than money for the cab ride into the city you arent likely to need to change money anyway.

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #375 of 732
UE!! Pls come to SG CAMJAM!!!

And pls exhibit your store next to JH. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back