:flag_sg: CanJam Singapore 2016 (20 February - 21 February)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #571 of 732

Ipoh tadak haha. And apologies in advance to Singaporeans, is your Char Koay Teow still sweetish and is your bakuteh still clear pepper soup? Lol.

Ohhh, snap! Oh no you didn't 
tongue.gif

But really, try the good local stuff la, same things we get back home for what. Eh, you free for coffee, etc after Saturday? Dinner got plans with friends, but can do kopitiam or something first.

Feb 17, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #573 of 732
Ohhh, snap! Oh no you didn't :p

But really, try the good local stuff la, same things we get back home for what. Eh, you free for coffee, etc after Saturday? Dinner got plans with friends, but can do kopitiam or something first.

Malaysian hawker food is honestly so much better.

Feb 17, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #575 of 732
Lol this thread might derail with singling - manglish and the rest of the world wondering What are they talking bout XD

Feb 17, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #576 of 732
Chill guys, I'm in it for the music and good eats. Last time I've been to S'pore was the early naughties. Frankly I can't wait.

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #580 of 732
Does this guy ever say something neutral or negative about a product? He seems like he loves everything and everything he has tried is kind of the best in the world. It's extremely annoying and suspicious.

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #581 of 732
  Does this guy ever say something neutral or negative about a product? He seems like he loves everything and everything he has tried is kind of the best in the world. It's extremely annoying and suspicious.

If you're talking about Jude I think its more of theres too much stuff to talk about and he rather focus on the positives. The old old videos he made for headfi he would weigh pros and cons but consider that the video were quite long relative to these sorta videos where each product only had a couple of minutes at most. Thats my opinion anyways so don't quote Jude on this.

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #582 of 732

I had the opportunity to visit the Head-Fi offices recently and I can tell you that the number of products they have in the building is simply staggering. I see no conceivable way that Jude and Joe could produce a Head-Fi TV episode for every single product they receive, so it makes sense that they showcase the ones they like and the ones that bring something interesting to the table. When anyone discusses a topic they find interesting it's not unusual for them to show excitement, and Jude's posts and videos reflect that enthusiasm. I go about it the same way when I'm considering writing a product review. If it's not something I find enjoyable or fascinating then it's difficult to summon the effort required to write a full review, let alone produce an entire video segment.

Here's a Head-Fi TV video where Jude talked about a product that didn't work for him. The concept behind the TakeT BPP is cool but he didn't notice any difference when using it, and as a result there's no love or "best in the world" to be found.

tl;dr It only seems as though he likes everything because he doesn't talk much about the products that don't "wow" him.

Feb 17, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #583 of 732
  Does this guy ever say something neutral or negative about a product? He seems like he loves everything and everything he has tried is kind of the best in the world...

Let's first talk about this video specifically, since it's the one in this thread:

1. It's the 2016 CanJam Singapore Preview Video. The purpose of the video? To highlight just some of the cool products that will be there, and to hopefully attract more people to the show. If I've heard a product (like the Shangri-La, KSE1500, HD 800S, etc.) that just wows me--and if they're going to be at the show, and if a lot people are eager to try them for themselves--then I think featuring those products in a video like this makes a great deal of sense.

Now let me talk about the videos we make, in general, in the context of your comment:

I had the opportunity to visit the Head-Fi offices recently and I can tell you that the number of products they have in the building is simply staggering. I see no conceivable way that Jude and Joe could produce a Head-Fi TV episode for every single product they receive, so it makes sense that they showcase the ones they like and the ones that bring something interesting to the table...

Bingo.

This suggestion that I like everything I hear would be instantly dispelled by a visit to my office. At any given time, we have so many products on-hand--with a constant influx of review units, loaners, and stuff we buy coming in--that we simply can not review it all.

Anyone who knows me well has some idea of what my personal schedule is like, which is fairly characterized as being on the busier side. @AxelCloris, spent the better part of a business week at Head-Fi HQ working with us, and ask him (probably better via PM, so as to not derail this thread any further) how much listening time we were able to get in during that week. Yes, we got some listening time in--no, it's never as much as I'd like. Some days I'm lucky enough to spend hours on end listening, but my schedule (especially these last few years) has made those kinds of days harder to come by.

Regarding making videos: Maybe @joe and I have crappy workflow (I don't think so, but we did learn to make YouTube videos by watching YouTube videos about how to make YouTube videos), but our videos can take some time to make. Days (and the associated costs of those days) go into making a video like this one. Video shooting time, writing, photography, editing, and occasionally associated travel--these are not insubstantial time-sucks and resource draws. In consideration of all that, what motivates us to do all that's necessary to make videos the way we do them are products we listen to and really like or love and think that others in the community might similarly like or love.

...It's extremely annoying and suspicious.

Well, if I'm annoying to you, perhaps that can't be helped. Suspicious? Am I recommending or showing enthusiasm for products that I'm alone in my appreciation of? While no one person can recommend any audio product (or any other kind of product for that matter) that everyone will like, "suspicious" might suggest I have a history of dishonestly recommending stinkers that pretty much I alone like, and that most others end up not liking.

One thing we learned about watching YouTube videos about how to make YouTube videos is that pretty much anyone can do them--they can be as simple as talking to a webcam and using your laptop's built-in mic, a bit more complicated as we do them, or full-on professionally assembled productions like TheVerge.com does them (and which I really dig).

So, @Collot, if there's a type of video that you want to see--and even more so if it's what you think many others also want to see--then find some products that didn't impress you, flip your laptop lid open (which I'm assuming has a webcam), shoot a video to review them, upload them to YouTube, and embed your videos in posts on Head-Fi. I'm not kidding, I'm not being a smart-aleck--you should give it a try.

Now, back to CanJam Singapore: It's 5:20 a.m. local time here in Singapore, and I've been flying for the better part of 24 hours. I ran into Jerry Harvey (of JH Audio) on the leg from NRT to SIN (though we unfortunately weren't seated together). I can't wait to see you all here. If you spot my name badge, please stop me and say hello.

It doesn't take a psychic to see a fun weekend ahead.

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #585 of 732
Even though Jude was trolled (by a known, repeat offender), I do feel to add that he does work his proverbial rear-end off, including now, where he will be hard at getting CanJam in Singapore going. Joe too. 

Just for fun, years ago, I tallied up all the products mentioned in all Jude's videos and found that, excluding Sennheiser, the number of sponsors' products came to about 50%. With Sennheiser it was somewhere around 70%. What's more, the mentioned products cover only a tiny fraction of those actually made by all the sponsors, so even irrespective of the fact that I know Jude just doesn't think in the way he is often accused, it would simply be physically impossible to be able to entertain such a bias even if he did.

Sorry that I'm missing CanJam in SG this time. 

Let's first talk about this video specifically, since it's the one in this thread:

All I'll say is that your attire is extremely inappropriate. You really should be doing the video shirtless, to give viewers a better idea on how to dress for Singapore weather. :p

Google image search "Nikongod r10" if you dare. I don't think Jude loves headphones so much he'd consider being naked with them. 
wink_face.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back