Flac vs mp3 quality
Nov 27, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 6
Pls do a search before creating a new thread. There are already many threads about the same topic.

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #4 of 6
I have an ipod classic 6g and a sansa clip +...do you think that the differences between flac and mp3 are very audible in this portable player?

Yes. If the difference isn't obvious there is something wrong somewhere, I can spot it every time, either through my 20k 2 channel system or my sons clip+ with porta pros

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #5 of 6
I have an ipod classic 6g and a sansa clip +...do you think that the differences between flac and mp3 are very audible in this portable player?

Here's something to get you started - http://www.head-fi.org/t/570621/flac-vs-320-mp3

Be very careful picking your way through the BS when people claim massive differences between properly encoded lossy files and lossless (I'm talking about 256acc / mp3 320). You'll find most people who say they can easily tell them apart have never performed a properly volume matched abx test (and this is actually very easy to set-up - all you need is foobar 2000, the abx plugin, and a decent ripper and encoder).

My advice - read some threads (search function is great), and rather than ask opinions, perform an abx yourself.

You'll probably find you are like most of us - that aac256 / mp3 320 encoded properly is pretty much transparent when tested under controlled situation.

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #6 of 6
Download foobar2000, install the ABX compararator,...then decide for yourself.

Too many will claim FLAC is better, ALAC is better, WAV is better, etc. Test for yourself, try to do a blind test, then DECIDE WHAT'S BEST FOR YOUR EARS. I think you'll notice that most people are not able to tell the difference. In a high end HOME setup it quite possibly will sound better,...maybe.

Me, lossless is for archive purposes, and lossy is for portables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back