FLAC Player for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
Dec 23, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #181 of 320
I don't think it sounds better but it saves transcoding and maintainig two copies

Dec 23, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #182 of 320
Until I can get 24/96 out of my iphone I'll resample to 16/48 anyways (from 1gb per LP to 400mb) if source is high-def...
As alac has gone opensource I will be testing out transcoding to alac and see if itunes can be worked with. For my home setup I will stick with fb2k though. I like the control you get.
I love flacplayer and have been using it for since summer, but because of the way apple operates it will allways be harder to manage than their own default player.

If I should happen to find the money for a http://aloaudio.com/algorhythm-solo-rx-mk2-amp-alo-audio-interconnects-combo-package-black.html setup I will go for that for shure...

Have anyone used the algorythm solo with flacplayer?

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #183 of 320
I use the Solo all the time from an iPad 1 running the FLAC player.  Works and sounds great.

Quote:
Until I can get 24/96 out of my iphone I'll resample to 16/48 anyways (from 1gb per LP to 400mb) if source is high-def...
As alac has gone opensource I will be testing out transcoding to alac and see if itunes can be worked with. For my home setup I will stick with fb2k though. I like the control you get.
I love flacplayer and have been using it for since summer, but because of the way apple operates it will allways be harder to manage than their own default player.

If I should happen to find the money for a http://aloaudio.com/algorhythm-solo-rx-mk2-amp-alo-audio-interconnects-combo-package-black.html setup I will go for that for shure...

Have anyone used the algorythm solo with flacplayer?

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #184 of 320

Quote:
Also files transferred in this way counts as programs so when iTunes makes a backup it will try to back up up to 64 GB

Any ideas how one can make itunes miss these files when backing up? or back them up to the recycle bin?  
I have auto sync off, so all is well untill I change an app, then off goes the old pc chugging away for a good while slows everything down, and then I have to find all the files and delete them.
Any ideas much appreciated :)
Cheers
DC

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #185 of 320
When it starts doing the backup part of the sync cycle you click the grey X in the progress panel and it will abort the backup and carry on with the rest of the sync. The down side to this is that you have no backup at all but it's either or, there is no middle ground

Jan 5, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #188 of 320

Quote:

Just so you know, after some experimenting, I discovered that the iPhone (at least the 4S) handles 24-bit/48kHz ALAC.  Can't handle higher (even though iTunes can, it just won't sync to the player), but this is PLENTY.  Dithering to 16-bit has been having increasingly frustrating results for me.  24/48 is still pretty big, but not as ridiculous as I thought it might be.

I also discovered that, rather surprisingly, the 4S powers my Denon AH-D2000 quite effectively.  It's not quite as nice as my iBasso D1, but it's pretty admirable given how difficult these things are to power properly.  It's also worth noting how much better the 4S sounds than my old iPhone 3G.  Tremendous difference.

Jan 8, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #189 of 320
Just wondering, how did you confirm that the 4S can play 24/48?  I thought it was agreed that Apple iOs limits the playback of all non-iPad iDevices to 16/48?

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #191 of 320
Being able to play is not the same as sending it out at that same resolution. Flac player plays at least 24/96 (have not tried higer res) but the hardware/os renderengine downsamples to 16/44(48) before sending to the digital extractors. iPad with cck sends higher to usb dacs. My info is pre 4S so don't know if it is any different

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #192 of 320
I wish this were documented somewhere.  It does seem possible that it's being scaled to redbook on the fly since the soundstage seems to be getting collapsed, sort of like a non-shaped dithering does.  Meh.

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #193 of 320

Quote:
Being able to play is not the same as sending it out at that same resolution. Flac player plays at least 24/96 (have not tried higer res) but the hardware/os renderengine downsamples to 16/44(48) before sending to the digital extractors. iPad with cck sends higher to usb dacs. My info is pre 4S so don't know if it is any different

My understanding is the the 4S (which I use) only outputs 16/48 also. I've been having great results with the FLAC player, it saved me a lot of time converting most of my whole library. That being said lately I've been ripping CDs into ALAC as I don't have to do as much organization that way. Only complaint for me is that some types of CDs become disorganized, like when there are multiple artists per album. There is probably a way to fix this, I haven't messed with it too much.

Feb 13, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #195 of 320
Can anyone clarify for me whether or not the iphone 4 running flac player is resampling 24/96 flac to 16/48 or 44.1.  I just found out that both of these will play through the front usb on my marantz sa8004.  flac player crashes when switching from a 16/44.1 to a 24/96 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back