FLAC Player for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
May 8, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #301 of 320
TuneShell gives you a nifty web interface to upload FLAC files, just turn on Wi-Fi within the app and it give you IP Address and Port number.

Creating folders is a little bit of a PITA though, have to do it through the device...I reached out to the developer.

I have a growing number of FLAC files. My buddies think I'm crazy because my hearing isn't great. But the lack of lossy compression is to die for.

May 9, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #302 of 320
I'm using a program called I-mazing and it bypasses iTunes altogether. I can see the folder structure of the app I use to upload flac files directly with my MacBook without using itunes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 10, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #303 of 320
OK, I've tried many Media Players and FLAC players with my collection of DAC's from my iPhone and iPad.

I've got:
- Nuforce DAC-80
- Nuforce uDAC-2
- Nuforce iDo

The DAC-80 is great because it indicates the bitrate it receives, so you're know what the App is actually pushing out of your iPhone.
Some players SAY that they play bit-perfect, but a DAC like the DAC-80 reveals it's not truly doing so, but resampling.

Most players resample the content to 16/48 which sucks. That is not what we listen to FLAC for.

The best players I use now are:
- DS Audio from Synology. It actually pushes out FLAC files that are 16/44.1 bit-perfect. And you have the convenience of listening to your entire FLAC collection from your NAS without downloading to your phone. I use it for all my 16/44.1 listening, it's just perfect. But: hi-res files get down sampled to 16/44.1 as well. No hi-res output bit-perfect.
- FLAC Player (of EUR 9,99) is the ONLY player out there, at least as far as I found and tested, that ACTUALLY outputs hi-res audio to your DAC bit-perfect. It is the ONLY player that actually got my DAC-80 to display it was playing 24/192. And by connecting the RCA coax digital out of the uDAC-2 to the DAC-80, I can confirm also the uDAC-2 is playing all up to 24/96 bit-perfect. But: FLAC Player isn't great in terms of convenience. You have to upload all FLAC files to your iPhone or iPad and since I only need it for hi-res FLAC files, it is eating too much memory off my phone. The developer of FLAC Player really should work on streaming FLAC off your NAS directly, using SMB or NFS or something. Or even DLNA even though that risks your NAS to resample. I hope he'll invest in developing a streaming interface, as that would make FLAC Player awesome. Right now in my opinion, it isn't even worth the EUR 9,99 I spent on it, even though it's good to know that TECHNICALLY my iPhone/iPad running iOS 9.3.1 can output 24/192 bit perfect.

May 10, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #304 of 320
  TuneShell gives you a nifty web interface to upload FLAC files, just turn on Wi-Fi within the app and it give you IP Address and Port number.

Creating folders is a little bit of a PITA though, have to do it through the device...I reached out to the developer.

I have a growing number of FLAC files. My buddies think I'm crazy because my hearing isn't great. But the lack of lossy compression is to die for.

Agreed. You don't need to be an audiophile to hear the difference between compressed and FLAC. Anyone with good cans and patience, to actually listen to the sound well, easily hears the difference between FLAC and compressed. And once you hear it, there's no way back.

Just take an old CD you have, rip it to FLAC using Exact Audio Copy and then listen to the same CD from a streaming service like Apple Music or Spotify. Compressed 320k MP3 is okay, but anything lower than that, you easily hear the difference.

Jun 11, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #307 of 320
Yes, FLACPlayer by Dan Leehr is the best and the only one that outputs 24/192 really. But, you must upload those gigantic 24/192 files in your phone. Pppplleeeeaaasseee Dan, can you make a version of FLACPlayer that can stream off a NAS...?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jun 13, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #308 of 320
Will be awesome if author add an album art to album list

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #309 of 320
Looks good

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #310 of 320
Still using FLAC Player on my Apple 64GB 3rd-gen Touch that maxes out at iOS 5.1
redface.gif

Had to do a device reset recently & was perplexed how to get the right (older) version of FLAC Player re-installed.
I shot Dan an email, to which he promptly replied with the simple steps to accomplish what I needed.

Thumbsup!

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #311 of 320
Great to see you're happy and that you're in direct contact with Dan. I'm still only half happy with my ten bucks investment in FLAC Player because it is not able to stream audio from my NAS. As I bought FLAC Player to play hi res files, which are obviously too big to store on my iPhone, to me FLAC Player in fact is quite useless.

So, in the end I'm using the recently released FooBar which works great. But foobar doesn't (yet) output high res like FLAC Player does. As a matter of fact, FLAC player is the only iOS player I know that truly outputs 24/96 and even 24/192.

Can you ask Dan to make FLAC player support streaming from a NAS?

Sep 25, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #314 of 320
Is there an ios app that can output 24/96 to DAC? I have FLAC Player by Dan Leehr already but don't want to spend money on other apps without knowing.

I have encountered a strange thing. I connect my iPhone 6s to Fiio ALPEN 2-E17K with micro USB on Fiio and Lightning on iPhone. I can verify on the Fiio screen that it is receiving digital 24/96.

If I use a normal apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, the player plays for 1 minute fine but after that, the audio starts to have distortions.

Now if I use an apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, these were made for iPad Pro, Flac Player plays the whole audio fine, no distortions.

Any idea why and how do you connect your iphone to a DAC? What DAC and adapter you use?

Sep 27, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #315 of 320
I've always been a huge fan of VOX by Coppertino. They REALLY want you to sign up for LOOP, their cloud storage for lossless files, but you don't really need to. Their sound engine and equalizer presets are the best on iOS , and the design is light years above Apple's. The only flaw is that it's iPhone only, but you can force it onto your iPad if you want to. Alternatively, I've been testing out Sennheiser's CapTune app, and absolutely love it. The design is slick, and the SoundCheck feature, which parametrically makes an equalizer based on your preferences, is fantastic for cars, speakers, and any headphones. I'm only mentioning it second because I haven't used it for very long, but I really believe it'll overtake VOX soon. BONUS: if you have Sennheiser Momentum Series headphones, Sennheiser built in a preset for you. I believe both apps will function properly through USB or Mini (RIP), so no problems there. If you're plugging it into a DAC or amp, I might recommend CapTune because it has more granular output controls, while VOX tries to be as streamlined as possible.

EDIT: I saw some replies above asking about 24/96 output. For that, use AmpliFLAC. Yes, it's expensive, but it does precisely 0 thinking for you, so lossless truly is lossless. No delay with Steven Wilson's Hand. Cannot. Erase. at 24/96 FLAC, regardless of what output method you use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back