FitEar F111 — Impressions, Reviews & Discussion (previously TO GO! 111)
Mar 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #228 of 902
So, has there been any sort of consensus on whether the F111's tuning has changed? I'm still a bit troubled by reports that the bass quantity has been boosted by FitEar. Personally I found the F111's tuning to be to my liking already. I've already got the TO GO! 334 if I want more bass.

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #229 of 902
Quote:
So, has there been any sort of consensus on whether the F111's tuning has changed? I'm still a bit troubled by reports that the bass quantity has been boosted by FitEar. Personally I found the F111's tuning to be to my liking already. I've already got the TO GO! 334 if I want more bass.

Where did you get the information from? Meanwhile I'll snoop around and see if I can find any info on that.

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #231 of 902
Well, I can't say for certain if they really did alter the tuning, but another, perhaps more likely possibility is that horn systems have a tendency to alter perceived response more than normal. Essentially, the 111 is using a specially-designed horn to boost high frequencies (rather than use underdamping in the case of the ER4S and 4B) --- if the quarter wave resonances line up the right way, and FitEar did design a horn with the right length and right doubling diameter, then it could effectively boost high frequencies to a level where it matches the ER4S, but retains the same electrical dampening of the ER4P; bass response would certainly behave differently in the ER4S and ER4P than the horn-boosted F111. I don't know specifically how the horn may change the way the bass sounds, but it's mostly likely that such a big horn sitting so close to the ear drum has some standing wave reflection effects that alters psychoacoustics in a way that we don't understand. Sorry, don't have time to flesh out the explanation more. I've been investigating this phenomenon, reading on some horn system information in hearing aid design as well as in loudspeakers, but I don't completely understand it fully yet.

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #233 of 902
Quote:
Actually, I was referring to posts made by you and Tom earlier in this thread.

Oh :/

Well, I wasn't suggesting that FitEar boosted the bass quantity of F111; I did point out how the bass is not what I predicted it to be. There's definitely a small discrepancy between the FR graph and what I heard--It's definitely still fast and delicate kind of bass, but I do think that the F111 is bassier than what the FR graph might suggest. I think it might be as Tom said about the acoustic horn; I think it's doing some funny tricks to my ears.

Judging from its serial number, my F111 (S/N 082434) probably belongs to an early batch of F111--I have never seen a pair of F111 with S/N lower than 082400 aside from the one shown on FitEar website, 080001--Assuming that there really was some sound alterations, it's likely that my pair is among the non-altered early batch. I could be wrong on this one though.

Anyways earlier today I mailed FitEar just in case to ask if there's any changes, but they haven't replied so far. Suyama-san did say in his recent-ish blog post that there was some un-announced cosmetic changes in the past, but not sound tuning changes. He also added that post-revision FitEar universals will still sound the same as the pre-revision batches.

In the end I think it's just a matter of "different ears, different perceptions"--I'm sure you will enjoy your F111 just fine.

*edit*

The F111s are in my ears this morning, and thankfully they're pretty much the way I remember them. No surprising bass here (to my ears, at least)! Whew!

Beautiful IEMs. Thank you again, FitEar.

Lol you posted as I was typing my post. Good to know that your enjoying your pair!

Anyways, I haven't seen the post-revision F111; is there any noticeable cosmetic changes on your F111?

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #234 of 902
Oh :/

Well, I wasn't suggesting that FitEar boosted the bass quantity of F111; I did point out how the bass is not what I predicted it to be. There's definitely a small discrepancy between the FR graph and what I heard--It's definitely still fast and delicate kind of bass, but I do think that the F111 is bassier than what the FR graph might suggest. I think it might be as Tom said about the acoustic horn; I think it's doing some funny tricks to my ears.

Judging from its serial number, my F111 (S/N 082434) probably belongs to an early batch of F111--I have never seen a pair of F111 with S/N lower than 082400 aside from the one shown on FitEar website, 080001--Assuming that there really was some sound alterations, it's likely that my pair is among the non-altered early batch. I could be wrong on this one though.

Anyways earlier today I mailed FitEar just in case to ask if there's any changes, but they haven't replied so far. Suyama-san did say in his recent-ish blog post that there was some un-announced cosmetic changes in the past, but not sound tuning changes. He also added that post-revision FitEar universals will still sound the same as the pre-revision batches.

In the end I think it's just a matter of "different ears, different perceptions"--I'm sure you will enjoy your F111 just fine.

*edit*

Lol you posted as I was typing my post. Good to know that your enjoying your pair!

Anyways, I haven't seen the post-revision F111; is there any noticeable cosmetic changes on your F111?

Mine is 82412 from a very early batch i presume. (July 2012)
I'm looking for new tips, can anybody recommend me some good ones?
From the stock tips the best for me are the medium, the bi-flanges are also comfy, but you loose some punch ans detail.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #239 of 902
Anybody has compared the Fitear F111 against Ocharaku Flat-4 SUI ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back