Fit for a Bat! – Flagship IEMs Shootout (8:CT6E, 7:H8P, 6:JH13, 5:K10, 4:BD4.2, 3:A12, 2:W500, 1:SE5U)
Aug 30, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #350 of 1,062
It's possible to force fit the SE5 due to their silicone shell.

I have heard Jelt's SE5Ulti and I have one description for it: Treble lacks bite. Treble has no impact. I can't feel the treble.
Certainly poor fit because treble sounds nothing like that. But you know...however you hear it...

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #351 of 1,062
Would you mind elaborating on why you wouldn't use it on a daily basis?

So do you own it? Because there are no demos that I know of. What don't you like about it?

Jason's (Jelt2359) ears are quite similar to mine - I can wear his CIEMs without experiencing discomfort. As such, I've tried his SE 5-way Ultimate on a few occasions.

They offer an airy, massive soundstage that matches my Roxanne with ease. Clarity and detail are also its strong points. The SE 5-way Ultimate sounds remarkably like an open headphone, with excellent spatial and imaging qualities.

However, as a (huge) basshead, the SE 5-way Ultimate lacks in sheer bass presence. Lows are punchy but lean, with texture and quantity falling short compared to say, my Kaiser 10. I listen to a lot of EDM (~2/3s of my music collection), and I've found the SE 5-way Ultimate lacking in overall satisfaction - there's not enough bass to conjure up an all-round head-thumping experience.

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #352 of 1,062
Jason's (Jelt2359) ears are quite similar to mine - I can wear his CIEMs without experiencing discomfort. As such, I've tried his SE 5-way Ultimate on a few occasions.

They offer an airy, massive soundstage that matches my Roxanne with ease. Clarity and detail are also its strong points. The SE 5-way Ultimate sounds remarkably like an open headphone, with excellent spatial and imaging qualities.

However, as a (huge) basshead, the SE 5-way Ultimate lacks in sheer bass presence. Lows are punchy but lean, with texture and quantity falling short compared to say, my Kaiser 10. I listen to a lot of EDM (~2/3s of my music collection), and I've found the SE 5-way Ultimate lacking in overall satisfaction - there's not enough bass to conjure up an all-round head-thumping experience.

Thanks! So can I assume from this that the A12 has more overall bass quantity than the SE5U? If so, is it a sizable difference or just slight?

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #353 of 1,062

I do not know if it is a fit issue or a matter of taste, because I never found the SE5 bass lacking in quantity, and I own the Roxannes and the 335.

Aug 31, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #356 of 1,062
I have stupid question, but I was curious since i first time hear IE800. I never had CIEM, and my question is - wich CIEM models sound similar to the Sennheiser IE800?
And if I decide to get some CIEM's, which I should choose to not make "step back"?

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #357 of 1,062
Thanks! So can I assume from this that the A12 has more overall bass quantity than the SE5U? If so, is it a sizable difference or just slight?

Yes, the A12 has a slightly bigger mid-bass boost than the SE 5-way Ultimate. Sub-bass extension goes just as deep, but I get a bit more rumble with the A12 on my EDM tracks. I would say that the difference isn't very great, but it's noticeable.

I do not know if it is a fit issue or a matter of taste, because I never found the SE5 bass lacking in quantity, and I own the Roxannes and the 335.

I don't think it's a fit issue, because I can wear Jason's other customs just fine - for example, the BD4.2, A12, W500 AHMorph, and Kaiser 10. These IEMs have bigger, more prominent bass than the SE 5-way Ultimate. Hence, it could very well be down to a matter of taste, since I like a lot of low end presence in my earphones.

Aug 31, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #358 of 1,062
No experience with the SE5U, but spin up Loose Yourself to Dance by Daft Punk with the A12 and close your eyes - you are AT the club.

Yes, the A12 has a slightly bigger mid-bass boost than the SE 5-way Ultimate. Sub-bass extension goes just as deep, but I get a bit more rumble with the A12 on my EDM tracks. I would say that the difference isn't very great, but it's noticeable.

Thanks. I'm considering one or the other based on overall performance of both but am a bit worried they will be too bassy for me.

Aug 31, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #359 of 1,062

Thanks. I'm considering one or the other based on overall performance of both but am a bit worried they will be too bassy for me.

I listen to metal mostly, with a sprinkle of gangster rap.  I can tell you the A12 bass is damn perfect.  Metal sounds horrible when it's overpowered by bass and NONE of my metal, even the bass centric metal sounds overpowered.  When I turn on some gangster rap, it sounds incredible.  I don't know what an SE5ULT sounds like but I doubt it sounds any better than the A12 in the bass department.

Plus if you get the A12 when the adjustable module is released, you'll be able to adjust bass to your perfect setting.  I'd crank it all the way up for rap and lower it for metal.  While not being intended as a bass adjustment, the ADEL module in my estimation would operate much like the hole in the back of a dynamic speaker with regard to sound. 

My .02

BTW, search youtube for an artist named BASS MEKANIK if you want to test your bass, holy crap:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiNJdAT4opI

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #360 of 1,062
I listen to metal mostly, with a sprinkle of gangster rap.  I can tell you the A12 bass is damn perfect.  Metal sounds horrible when it's overpowered by bass and NONE of my metal, even the bass centric metal sounds overpowered.  When I turn on some gangster rap, it sounds incredible.  I don't know what an SE5ULT sounds like but I doubt it sounds any better than the A12 in the bass department.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiNJdAT4opI

Well... If you haven't heard it I don't think you should make such a conjecture

Just saying

Users who are viewing this thread

Back