Fit for a Bat! – Flagship IEMs Shootout (8:CT6E, 7:H8P, 6:JH13, 5:K10, 4:BD4.2, 3:A12, 2:W500, 1:SE5U)
Aug 26, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #331 of 1,062
The point of the Adel module, according to Stephen ambrose isn't so much that it's adjustable for different sounds as it is that it's adjustable for the stiffness of your eardrum. You adjust it so that the membrane can compensate correctly for the stiffness of your own eardrum. If the membrane is too stiff, the Adel module might as well be fully closed. If the membrane is too soft, it doesn't actually do anything beneficial; it ends up removing some sounds and ruining the listening experience because it absorbs some of the acoustic response of your eardrum.

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #333 of 1,062
I took a look at your music preferences and saw we share a lot. I don't listen to hardcore and trance that often anymore, but it is where my roots lie.. Hardcore rose in Holland when I was young and captured my generation :wink: Good to know which ciems a fellow basshead prefers for future reference. Def interested in the W500.

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #335 of 1,062
The
how is the isolation with the membrane all the way tight and also somewhat looser. This is my great concern as I often listen outside of quiet environments.
adjustable membrane is not yet available. From my experience with the universal version, even with the automatically adjusting one, isolation was comparable to something like a shure IEM with silicone tips.

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #337 of 1,062

great list Have heard half of list but only with universal. Once I moved to custom it clarifies you can't properly compare  apples to oranges-it is probably a better comparison to have 2 rankings CEIM and Uiem
Therefore my favorite universals were Earwerkz and Angie with bass turned up. YMMV.

Aug 28, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #339 of 1,062
ear protection vs. slightly less isolation-a conundrum for sure especially when a custom iem should be truly great fit with near perfect isolation.

Another factor you should consider is that the adel allows much higher volumes comfortably to get the most out of your amp. Isolation wasn't bad even with the universal demos.

Aug 28, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #340 of 1,062
Perception of soundstage and imaging is likely heavily related to noise attenuation. The less noise attenuation the less closed in the sound feels.

The word 'reference' is pretty much meaningless to the point that you should ignore it. Frequency responses between 'reference' headphones and IEMs varies so wildly that it is useless.

Aug 28, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #341 of 1,062
Another factor you should consider is that the adel allows much higher volumes comfortably to get the most out of your amp. Isolation wasn't bad even with the universal demos.

Damn right it gets loud, I accidentally turned my iphone 5 on max and my ears hurt for AWHILE.

Aug 28, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #342 of 1,062
Aug 29, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #344 of 1,062
  I took a look at your music preferences and saw we share a lot. I don't listen to hardcore and trance that often anymore, but it is where my roots lie.. Hardcore rose in Holland when I was young and captured my generation :wink: Good to know which ciems a fellow basshead prefers for future reference. Def interested in the W500.

Yeah. EDM has always been in my blood since I started exploring beyond the boundaries of MTV (~10 years old, or so). Started from Eurodance, then went into the whole House and Trance scene, then found the Hardcore Techno genres. Love most of them, with the exception of stuff like Chillout or Ambient, which are a bit too bland and slow for my tastes. 
wink.gif

BTW, nice to meet a fellow EDM basshead.

Anyway, if you love your bass, do give the W500 AHMorph a test one day. Another good custom IEM contender is the Lear BD4.2. Both deliver gobs of well-textured, hard-hitting bass.

Aug 29, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #345 of 1,062
No love for SE5Ult?
biggrin.gif

Unless that question was directed at my wife, then, no, the SE 5-way Ultimate is not my cup of tea. 
biggrin.gif
 It's technically brilliant, just not something I see myself using on a daily basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back