Fischer DBA 02 or Radius DDM?
Nov 5, 2010 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

shiroemon

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I'm about to buy another earphone because I accidentally lost my RE0.. Which one do you think suits me most? I would like a great bass while maintaining a good treble and good soundstage.. I don't really care about isolation. Thanks everyone!

Nov 5, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 15
Joker's extensive comparison of IEM's is a must-read.

The DBA-02 has been described as an RE0 with more bass. But if you'd like to expand the bass presence even more, then the DDM may suit you better. Note joker's comments about DDM fit if you're interested in mobility with your IEM.

My ears say that there's plenty of bass from the DBA if that was how the producer intended it, and I don't experience sibilance or harsh treble. They are sensitive to getting a good fit with tips,and there's a variety of "best tip" experiences.

Nov 5, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 15
A good question to ask is: how much did you like your RE0s? Did you find they had enough bass for you or would you prefer more? Did you find them sibilant or just right?

The DDM's are very very different in character from the RE0's, so much so that you may be in for a bit of a shock as to how different they are to the RE0's. What the RE0's do for treble, the DDM's do for bass - detail and texture. They are great, but if you are expecting anything like the levels of detail that the RE0 have in the treble you will be disappointed. I find that the DDM's have better soundstage (or at least, more interesting imaging), amazing bass and mids, but treble is a little recessed. I think the RE0 and the DDM are great complements to each other.

I haven't heard the DBA-02 but understand that it is a similar kind of sound signature to the RE0. I'd go for them if you can a) Find them in stock b) love your RE0's.

And do you have a specific budget? Because there are plenty of other options and good compromises.

Welcome to Head Fi!

Nov 6, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #4 of 15
  Those two iems are completely antithetical. The DDM offers some very textured and well bodied bass that goes very, very low. Quantity wise it can be too much with the wrong tips. The mids are also excellent and the soundstage can be impressive with some recordings. The treble is there but it's recessed.  The dba-02 (which i don't own) is the exact opposite, with a very well extended and extremely detailed treble, but a roll off in the lows. If you want great double basses, drums, guitars, male vocals and in general a polite sound the DDM is a good choise. If you want great cymbals, saxes, violins, female vocals with a fast and detailed sound signature go for the dba-02.

Since you seem to look for a good compromise though, i think that neither of them will offer exactly what you want, maybe you should look to moving armature equipped phones like the eq-5, eq-7, and the Final audio offerings. James has already reviewed and compared most of them here :
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/520503/review-moving-armature-shootout-the-ortofon-e-q7-versus-3-new-final-audio-iems-fi-ba-a1-fi-ba-sb-fi-ba-ss

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 15
I'd possibly like the DDM more than my DBA-02 but joker talks about it's sub-par comfort/fit, isolation and build. Can anyone offer in opinion in that area of the DDM?

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #6 of 15
DDM is a great IEM for its price. It ain't perfect and it caused some pain to several head-fiers complaining about Comfort and isolation issues.
DDM is not designed for  "on the go" use. It is designed for home use mainly. Isolation is an issue if you planing to be in loud environments all the time like NYC subway. If you want better isolation get JVC FX700 or IE8. Both of those earphones priced over $300 USD.
DDM is priced at $160 or so at Musicaacoustics

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #7 of 15
IMO there are two requirements for a healthy relationship with the DDM:

First, you must not need isolation. Even with sealing tips there'd be only limited isolation, yet for the DDM to sound really good you need to wear them with extremely loose seal and therefore even less isolation.

Second, you should think of them as full-sized open headphone replacements instead of in-ears. Similar limitations apply. They aren't really suited for on-the-go. They may look a little bit goofy. They may not have the best comfort (though I have no complaints here). But on the other hand they offer giant sound in a tiny package. From bass texture to soundstage, out of all my IEMs, these are the ones which sound closest to full-sized open headphones (the FX700 are second). How about a full-sized headphone you can just shove into your jeans pocket? If you look at them this way, they are unrivalled.

Oh and thanks @Skies for pointing out moving armatures, I agree. However these are more expensive than both the DBA-02 and the DDM 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #8 of 15
Thanks for all the replies. I just need to ask two more thing: Which tips do you think would be the most suitable for radius DDM? Also, do you know where to order either DBA-02 or Radius DDM? Thanks a lot.

Nov 12, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #9 of 15
Best tips for Radius DDM are sony hybrid. I personally never use them but most of DDM owners like sony's...
DBA-02 you can order from USA dealer or Singapore or Russia directly.

DDM you can order in UK from iheadphones.co.uk or from Musicaacoustics.com
I along with many head-fiers ordered from later one. They are the only official distributors for Radius worldwide. You get best price and service as well. To order just email to them first.
where are you at?

Nov 12, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #10 of 15
Hmm yello, where did you get the idea that most people use hybrids? Hehe, I actually think the hybrids are the worst tips I've used so far with the DDMs, just because they make everything intensely bassy.

I'd suggest any tip you can find with the widest aperture possible, and the thinnest material possible. As James suggests, you actually want to find a tip that will NOT give you a great seal and the sound will balance itself out. Some good ones have actually been the various bi-flanges Head Direct supplies. I myself managed to find some horrible tip I never used which was basically a thin ring of black silicone, and they have worked perfectly for me - so perfectly in fact that I can't actually feel the DDM's when I wear them.

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #11 of 15
^ Oh I think I know where that came from:

Quote:
james444 said:

... I had a lot of time to try various tips with the DDMs and have gotten amazing results. Turned out they have the best balanced sound to my ears with Sony Hybrids 2 sizes smaller than my usual tips, providing only extremely low seal. After a lot of experimenting I ended up trimming the Hybrid's stems so they sit almost flush with the nozzle. Yet it was worth it, because the DDMs sound almost as good now as my FX700, with maybe even slightly better soundstage.

Compared to how bass bloated and treble lacking they appeared when I wore them sealed, it's incredible what a difference tips can make. And thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!
smile_phones.gif

Trimming the Hybrids is crucial though, or else they'll just make everything intensely bassy, exactly like you said.

Nov 12, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. I just need to ask two more thing: Which tips do you think would be the most suitable for radius DDM? Also, do you know where to order either DBA-02 or Radius DDM? Thanks a lot.

If you're in North America, the authorized Fischer DBA dealer is Bugden Audio (actually located Canada).

I believe the Radius DDM source is a reputable ebay seller, but no personal experience here.

Nov 12, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #13 of 15
Musica Acoustics is a great place to get the DDM's. It's a small outfit, and I actually think its probably a one man shop, but the guy is absolutely dedicated, replies to emails quickly and has great prices. I think he is planning to actually set up a direct store front so that people don't have to go through the whole kerfuffle of shooting him emails, but as I understand it he never actually intended to ever start doing direct sales until he got all kinds of requests for the OEM versions of the DDM's. See what changes Head Fi hath wrought!!!

Nov 13, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #14 of 15
How about accessoryjack.com? Are they a good place to get DDM? Also, how do you think the bass in Radius DDM compare to the Monster Turbine Pro Gold? Are they similar in some way? Thanks, and sorry if this question is off-topic. 

Nov 13, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #15 of 15
I'd recommend to  order  from  authorized Radius Japanese Shop Musicaacoustics.com
They offer warranty in case of failure and great customer service.
Contact Dimitri via email and inquiry and pay via paypal.
DDM bass compared to MTPG, I am afraid I have never heard them sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back