Fischer DBA-02 MKII - Impressions and review thread: CK10 threatened!
Nov 26, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #331 of 400
Nov 26, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #333 of 400
Click your link. Then read the fine print below the nickname.

I know how to click on links, but thanks for your great contribution.

It says "now known as DmitriTrush". I'm guessing that's the owner's name, but I still don't know what's going on.

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #336 of 400
Does anyone know if any of the Comply tips or the Shure olive foams fit the mrkii? I've discovered I have different sized ear canals and i can't get a good seal on my right ear. Driving me mad!

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #338 of 400
Quote:
Does anyone know if any of the Comply tips or the Shure olive foams fit the mrkii? I've discovered I have different sized ear canals and i can't get a good seal on my right ear. Driving me mad!

Hi.
I have the Fischer DBA-02 MKI,and I ask if I can use these olive foams.In case I can,is there only one size,or different,and where can I buy them?
Thank you in advance.

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #339 of 400
Quote:
Hi.
I have the Fischer DBA-02 MKI,and I ask if I can use these olive foams.In case I can,is there only one size,or different,and where can I buy them?
Thank you in advance.

Hi Theodore.
Yes, olives can work, so can most of the Comply's. Just check the site for size and manufacture guides. Get the same size that fits Ety or Shure IEM's... you'll be fine.

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #341 of 400
Quote:
How can I check what size have I to buy,because I see that there are three kind of foam sizes S,M and L.

Those designate the size of your ear canals, and how deep you wish the tip to go.

Jul 5, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #343 of 400
My DBA-02 MkII arrived this morning, and I do believe I've found the buds I've been looking for. I've had Klipsch S4i (with a persistent fitting problem), Klipsch X7i (even more fitting problems), the new Apple earbuds (earpods?), Sennheiser CX300, and a couple of others that are too unremarkable to mention.

So, now I'm down to the DBAs and a Sennheiser PX 100 II.  Those and Fiio amps & dacs.

I'm new here, as soon as I can update my profile I'll list the songs that I use to evaluate earbuds & headphones, but so far, these DBAs have passed all the tests.

A short list of the test songs are:

1. Solar - from Red Garland's "Crossings" album.  I want to hear the individual bass strings plucked and not obscured by muddy, sustaining bass.
  2. One For My Baby - sung by Dianne Reeves on the "Good Night, Good Luck" soundtrack. Again, the bass strings being plucked, and a very well recorded vocal by Dianne.
  3. Faithfully Dangerous - Over The Rhine's "Good Dog, Bad Dog" album. I can hear
    Karin Bergquist​
    inhaling, a well mic'd, well recorded vocal.
  4. 1812 Overture - Erich Kunzel and Cincinnati Pops with the Kiev Symphony Chorus & Children's Choir Of Greater Cincinnati. An early Telarc recording that I originally purchased on vinyl to "showcase" my Klipsch Cornwalls. The cannons are a test of .... cannons, and the choral work is clear as a bell. Not to mention the bells themselves, which make the recording.
  5. Skeletons - Rickie Lee Jones from her "Pirates" album. Excellent vocal recording, great voice. Most of the song is Rickie's voice accompanied by an acoustic piano.

Thanks to all of you for the comments & advice that caused me to end up with these excellent IEMs!!

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #344 of 400
Quote:
Obviously, it is much too early for a review. I've had these things in my ears long enough to give me earache if these were the CK10. Thankfully, there is no metal plate anywhere that sticks out. These are VERY comfortable in the ear, very small, and very light. Overall, a bit lighter than the CK10, a bit thicker at the housing, but a smaller footprint in the ear. 

As you know, I've not used the MKI before, so I'm not used to Fischer. In fact, before I got these from Musica Acoustics (thank you Dimitri!) today, I'd never used a Fischer product before. 

Sound bites:
Very smooth, powerful if slightly understated bass. Understated as in detailed and powerful, but gives air to the mids equally. Very very lovely sound. I'd think that people who have the SM3 but want something brighter might like these though they are not as warm as the SM3. 

For classical: Mozart Symphony No. 18 in F
Great reach up top, but not abrasive. Good space and powerful, moving mid section. Bass comes in enough to bump in the bottom, but gives support to mids. Violins are beautiful. Here, the MKII bests the CK10 for sure. Where the CK10 borders on shrill, the MKII rifles in speedily, but without attendant screeching. I find this a more comfortable (long listening) earphone for classical (so far) than the ER4S or the CK10. 
DBA-02 MKII: Grade: A
CK10: B+

For electronic: Frank Molder Firefly
Overall impression is competent, at times genius. Genius is the very smooth, extended highs that melt into their surroundings. Better presentation than CK10. Bass is adequate, even oomphy at times, but again, the melting of mids and bass smoothly is the kicker. Many spacey sounds wrap around the head perfectly in wide arcs. Very trippy for IDM and slower electronic music. A thicker mid-oriented bass (like that found in the ACS T1) would be killer. As it is, I find these very good, but not excellent for all types of Electronic. 
DBA-02 MKII: Grade: B+
CK10: Grade A

What's to love:
Size: tiny.
Cable: build quality is very good, very strong. I won't be swinging from trees off these, but I swear a small person could without falling.
Comfort: very very good both up over the ear, and down, like an earbud.
Accessories: there are millions of ear pieces there! I'm floored. And the case is very very nice. 
Sound: in a word, perfect. As everyone knows, the CK10 has been my benchmark since 2008. For build quality, it still is. The DBA-02 MKII, however, is a smoother, slightly deeper, slightly less fatiguing sound than the CK10. These will grow on me, I'm sure. But, it doesn't need to. I'm sold. I have no idea if these sound the same as the DBA-02 MKI or not, but I don't care. These are lovely. I'll put them in my list of top three for sound preference.

What's cause for pause:
Cable: flat cable is microphonic and moves around A LOT. I will need to find a cinch as I don't like the included ear guards. Cables should be round.
Plug: I wish it were L-shaped. It isn't, but it is well stress-relieved, and is very supple. Same with the earphone side stress relief. It could be better, but it isn't bad. 

Considering that overall, earphone build quality seems to be going down among all manufacturers for the same prices, I think the DBA-02 MKII is very nice. I can't wait to spend a few more hours before bed with these. Speaking of which, there is NO way, considering the angle at which they enter the ear, you can sleep with them on your side. 

Lotsa' love here.

Just bumping this thread up... wondering where your impressions have settled with more time?

I am currently using Hifiman RE-400s and would like a little more detail and speed. It sounds like the DBA02II is a slightly better option SQ-wise but I want something I know will last me a good few years.

Dec 1, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #345 of 400
Just wanted to say that I have been really enjoying these IEMs out of my stock AK100. I received them about 3 days ago and I did notice some harsh treble on the first day. Right now I am probably at the 40 hr mark of burn in, and I am not noticing anymore of that initial harshness- in fact, the treble is smooth, transparent, yet remaining quite detailed to my ears. Acoustic guitar strings really shine on these. As expected, the bass, though on the light side, is very quick and punchy. Overall, I am very impressed so far and this could be the best $199 that I have ever spent on head fi gear
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back