Fischer Audio FA-011 VS Brainwavz HM5 with FiiO E11 Audio Amp
Sep 12, 2012 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

headsounds

100+ Head-Fier
I've read the reviews this website for both headphones, but I haven't read anything specifically about the Brainwavz HM5 with the FiiO E11 amp, which is offered on mp4nation.com for 159 dollars.

Both headphones are recommended to be amplified.

The fischer is a bass heavy set while the Brainwavz is a neutral monitor (please correct my "headphone language," as I'm still learning)

With the FiiO E11 amp, the Brainwavz would sound even better overall, with extended range and clarity and also have the ability to get a bass boost.

I am leaning towards the HM5 + amp because I like the very neutral clear sound, and if I want to have more fun and worry less about balance, I can just bass boost. Whereas I buy the FA-011, I will have headphones that always have a bass boost, and I probably won't be in the mood for that 24/7.

Any comments reguarding the HM5, FiiO E11 amp, or the HM5 are welcome.
Thanks.

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 15
Hmm it seems that with this combo, if I have a crappy sound card in whatever I'm plugging into, the sound won't be that great?

Does this mean I have to get one of those amps that processes the sound instead of a sound card? Like the FiiO E17 Alpen DAC & Headphone Amplifier?

This whole "lets get into good headphones" has already far eclipsed what I was wanting to spend.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 15
If all your into is music (2-channel audio), then get the Fiio E10, USB-DAC-headphone amplifier, $70.
I do like the sound of my HM5s, but (bass boosting) amplifiers will do very little at boosting the HM5 bass.

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 15
The FiiO E10 looks like it isn't portable.

I want to leave the option of going portable open in the future, without buying an additional amp.

After reading multiple build quality problems with the Fischer Audio FA-011, I have decided not to take the risk, even though I most likely would enjoy the sound if it wasn't a dud.

So Brainwavz HM5 it is!

Now, what portable amp to go with it?

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 15
Heya,

The HM5 (or FA003) are fantastic with the E11. Excellent neutral sound, very clean and crisp, good mids, great sound stage for a closed phone, very comfortable, very good passive isolation and quite durable, they're tank-like, so they won't snap on your first clumsy move. And they can get plenty bassy with the help of the E11 (or any bass boosting Fiio, or equalizer for that matter).

Very best,

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
If all your into is music (2-channel audio), then get the Fiio E10, USB-DAC-headphone amplifier, $70.
I do like the sound of my HM5s, but (bass boosting) amplifiers will do very little at boosting the HM5 bass.

Heya,

The flat +3db boost in bass is quite noticeable from the Fiio line's EQ/bass switches.

Very best,

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
The flat +3db boost in bass is quite noticeable from the Fiio line's EQ/bass switches.

Guess I'll have to test it myself.
It's been awhile sense I've used my HM5s.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 15
FYI. The HM5 don't really need an amp.

Also, unpopular opinion here. I found the HM5s to not really be as neutral as everyone says. They're not as unbalanced as some other headphones maybe, but not especially neutral. I thought the the treble was very nice and smooth, but overall balance was actually a little bit dark with loose and muddy bass/lower mids. Wonky soundstage with hollowed out center image too. I wouldn't use the word "crisp" to describe them anyway.

Hmm it seems that with this combo, if I have a crappy sound card in whatever I'm plugging into, the sound won't be that great?

Does this mean I have to get one of those amps that processes the sound instead of a sound card? Like the FiiO E17 Alpen DAC & Headphone Amplifier?

This whole "lets get into good headphones" has already far eclipsed what I was wanting to spend.

You don't necessarily have to get anything. Plugging straight into a computer is not as big a deal as it's made to sound, unless it's hissy or underpowered or something. An iPod or portable player is likely more than fine IMO. It's not like if you plug good headphones in they will suddenly transform and sound all crappy. The DAC and amp is more like the icing on the headphone cake.

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 15
Just tested the HM5 with the Fiio E11 (Essence STX as DAC), the bass boost on the E11 does give a nice bass bump to the HM5.

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 15
MalV, knowing your stuff comes with the burden of being pestered with questions..

So iincase you happen to stumble upon this, have you tried both the SRH840 and HM5 within a reasonable span of time of one another? Which did you/do you favor?

I have an HM5 clone on the way (NVX) and I'm curious if this was a somewhat redundant purchase, given that I already own SRH840s and they seem to be recommended interchangeably on here.

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
MalV, knowing your stuff comes with the burden of being pestered with questions..

So iincase you happen to stumble upon this, have you tried both the SRH840 and HM5 within a reasonable span of time of one another? Which did you/do you favor?

I have an HM5 clone on the way (NVX) and I'm curious if this was a somewhat redundant purchase, given that I already own SRH840s and they seem to be recommended interchangeably on here.

Heya,

They're pretty similar. I think the SRH840 gets the edge in overall resolution and realism. The HM5 (FA003, NVX) were more comfortable and isolated better to me with deeper cups and felt like I could throw them through a window and they'd be ok and still work. I think I overall preferred the FA003 (HM5, NVX) simply because it had a nice relatively neutral signature, but was able to get low on sub-bass and enhanced well when I wanted to, had superb isolation, and simply was built like a tank-beast. Treble was a touch bright on the FA003 (HM5, NVX). They really are quite similar though. And similar price. Comes down to a signature preference to figure out which is right for you. At $99 the HM5 is an absolute steal. But some people may not like how big they are, they're huge, bulky too.

Very best,

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #12 of 15
Thanks a bunch. It sounds like they're similar enough that I'll have to pick one and get rid of the other (perhaps to fund some DT 880s, unless those are similar too, arghh).

The NVXs weighed in at $130 but, the upgraded ear pads seem of more value to me than the silly plastic stand the HM5s come with.

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Thanks a bunch. It sounds like they're similar enough that I'll have to pick one and get rid of the other (perhaps to fund some DT 880s, unless those are similar too, arghh).

The NVXs weighed in at $130 but, the upgraded ear pads seem of more value to me than the silly plastic stand the HM5s come with.

Heya,

The DT880 is a different headphone, way better sound stage, very detailed, airy, neutral, but with excellent extension. It's a world class headphone to me that scales with gear. It compliments any set of closed headphones in the sense that it's semi-open with a different sound, the sound of open, which to me gives a more silent and spacious sound to the moments between things that have more volume, where as in closed headphones, I find I hear more often the "hiss" of a recording, which is part of the recording. Open air headphones give it a more realistic "they're in the room" sound to it, but intimate, not like speakers.

I would definitely choose between the SRH840 and HM5/NVX/FA003 and keep one, not both, and then look towards something like the DT880 if you want a compliment to your collection, or alternative open air headphone if the DT880 doesn't do it for you, like the HD600, HE300, HE400, HFI2400, AD900, etc.

Very best,

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #14 of 15
Okay,

just placed an order for the Brainwavz HM5.

I hope I can hear sub bass all the way up to the light-n-high tinklies or they're going straight back.

HIFI hear I come, hopefully...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back