Fischer Amps: FA-4 E XB - Rhapsody series (3/4/5 drivers upcoming)
Oct 5, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #436 of 2,161
  Thanks Shane, I skipped a line.

Eke, I haven't compared to SD3 yet. The FA4 is fatiguing and it has too much (sub-) bass. That's all I said.
If you'd read my review on SD3 you'd know I'm not happy with the bass boost either and also that it's a upper/mid bass that bleeds into mids. It extends just fine, however. Sub-bass is very well perceptible, even at low volumes. But there is just much more going on at 180 Hz. So in that sense the FA4 does not extend deeper but it has the boost shifted to the end.

I'm switching between FA4 and SD2 today and I have yet to find a recording with which I rather grab the Fischers. The SD2 sounds more 3D, more linear, more organic and smoother in the mids.
The FA4 has this very distinct BA feeling of thin and artificial tones that reminds me of the PFE1xx. I need some more getting used to.

Or you may just prefer the sd2's, which you've proved after buying them again :p 

Oct 5, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #439 of 2,161
I don't find the bass on the FA-4E XB excessive in the slightest simply because it's so well balanced with the mids and highs.

For me it's impossible to compare the amps to IEMs with roll off like the SD2/SD3.

Oct 5, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #440 of 2,161
  So I got the FA4 in my ears right now. They are undoubtedly fine IEMs.
What I like most so far is the treble. It's pretty smooth although pronounced - I would not call it sibilant and they are even moderately enjoyable with bad recordings.
The loudness tuning definitely has quite a lot bass with low end rumble. It's very different to SD3!

What I can't see so far is the big soundstage. It's actually very narrow coming from SD3 and comparatively flat next to SD2, which renders bodies better IMO.

I will try different tips tomorrow. UE900 silicone tips are too fatiguing for me so far so I will try something with a narrower nozzle.

What I meant was that I am a bit overwhelmed by the amount of sub-bass. It's not IE800 quantity but it's definitely too much for my taste. However, the bass does not color mids as warm as the SD3.
So it depends: the SD3 has (much) more bass, but not as fatiguing. The FA4 has a cleaner (or more lightweight) transition from bass to mids but can be fatiguing with the amount of sub-bass.

Ironically, I find the InEar double flanges to work best so far. With multi-flanges the FA becomes more enjoyable to me as both, rumble and highs, are taken some air out of the sails.

Soundstage is much smaller than compared to SD3, no doubt. It's as wide as SD2 but flatter.

Keep in mind, this is only the second day and brain burn-in is still in process.

How does one go from extreme to extreme here?

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #441 of 2,161
Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How does one go from extreme to extreme here?

Sorry if I speak in riddles. What I mean is this:

Objectively, the FA4 is a well-executed v-shape. I can see how people enjoy it. It's full of energy, if you want. Bass is clean, very clean! Treble is also smooth and mids are ok. Right now I see it as a welcome alternative to TF10 and PFE232.
"They are undoubtedly fine IEMs."

However, I do not see the FA4 as natural. At all. It's a fun sounding 'phone and due to the v-shape it's not only fatiguing but it provokes rumble and harshness. Mids are recessed and lack a bit of body, IMO.
I actually prefer the FA-3(E) (without XB) and thus, obviously, the SD2.
Thus: "... can be fatiguing with the amount of sub-bass."

I hope it's easier to understand now.
BTW, here's a pic of them worn.

Now as far as fun sounding phones go, I don't think the FA brings anything new to the table. After 30mins the highs wear me out. So personally I prefer some narrow bi-flanges. I will post pics later. If you tame the highs a bit, a lot of the separation and airiness dwindles leaving a flat soundstage. My guess is, if you boost bass and highs of FA3 with an EQ, you have the same result with a slightly lower separation. Maybe music_4321 was tricked by the forward highs?

I think what bothers me most, though, is that it reminds me very much of analytical BA phones. The presentation is dry.
My girlfriend - not knowing what FA is, what the FA4 costs, what technology is inside, not knowing my personal opinion - just told me that they sound flat and not musical. She is very accustomed to my SD2, though, which she grabs every chance she gets. (Which is the reason I bought the SD2 again after selling them since my 'soon to be' custom Stage 3 probably annihilates any neutral universal out there.)

As for SD3 vs FA4, here is what I think:
The StageDiver has far superior build. The FA doesn't even have the nozzle covered and dirt and ear wax can just fall inside the housing. This is a serious issue.
I have also posted a picture of my girlfriend wearing the SD in another thread - the StageDiver fits us both perfectly. I have no issues with the FA but my gf says they are less comfortable and it kinda shows if you compare both pictures.
The SD3 is not fatiguing although in quantity it has much more bass. Yet it feels tighter and bigger at the same time. Soundstage of SD3 is huge - it is still the biggest I have heard among any universal. The FA4 does not come close!
The bass and highs of FA4 are cornering me and pushing me to a wall. The SD3 feels more open and like it has infinite space in any direction.
This recording (LSO - Carmina Burana) also shows better separation in the chorus even though SD3 has recessed highs.
So, unfortunately, the FA leaves me unimpressed whereas the SD3 still can wow me. But do not mistake - the SD3 is not suitable for Classical music!
As I see it, only one of the two pushed boundaries this year.

If anybody wants, I can come back with objective impressions (without comparing to either SD) in a few days. I don't have to share if you don't want, I just wanted to silence my personal curiosity of this IEM and what Fischer Amps has to offer.

I do not want to talk the FA4 bad! My expectations and requirements have increased a lot since I spent some time with the Stage 3 (do not confuse with StageDiver 3). 
I remember a time when I enjoyed the HJE900. No doubt the FA4 would have knocked me out my boots back then - but currently there are other IEMs that come closer to my personal ideal (neutral and fun).

Oct 6, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #442 of 2,161

Sorry if I speak in riddles. What I mean is this:...........................

Thanks for your personal verdict, I now know where you stand. You seem to have a unique view here regards your sound preference and it's application to the Fischers.

Oct 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #443 of 2,161
   Mids are recessed and lack a bit of body, IMO.

I don't agree, i find them balanced with great extension at both ends Ive owned mid centric iems like the shure 535, sm3 and um3x and i don't miss anything in the mids with the fa 4e, in fact there is more detail and clarity in the fa 4e than in any of this iems and never found a hollow or a part recessed, but not only in the mids, I'd say this is applicable to the full spectrum they are more detailed and revealing than any of those. They reach super high( with excellent sparkle and 0 sibilance) and down low, separation is oustanding( and i own the um3x, i put the amps in that league) in a wide ( for me) or at least big soundstage. On the other way i find the sound to be very realistic with nice timbre, space and air between the instruments.

I also lend my fa 4e to 2 different people which didn't know what a ba or a dynamic iem is and they were blown away.

Finally from what i understand of your opinion, it seems the fa 4e   are average iems. Anyway I find your opinion a bit weird because here are 4 or 5 users which own both or have listened to both and mostly of them prefer the fa or think that both are great iems, apart from eke which seems didn't like the sd3 at all or dark beat and that's why i can agree with your opinion or personal preference as cecala said above. having owned 5 top tier ba iem and the sony wx 1000 i must say the fa 4e are excellent iems really well tuned and objectively  superior to those. 

Don't get angry with me zino is what i think after all :wink:

Oct 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #445 of 2,161
eke2k6,
Did you get an opportunity to use Gavin's silver/gold hybrid cable on the Fischers?

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #446 of 2,161
  eke2k6,
Did you get an opportunity to use Gavin's silver/gold hybrid cable on the Fischers?

No, and I don't think I will. I tried removing the stock cable this morning, and it was taking a bit more effort than I would like to apply. I left it as is because of painful memories from my TF10 days.

Oct 6, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #448 of 2,161
Eke, have you tried to rub Fishers? If yes, then have you tried to spit on them? Only after you exhaust all these options you will be allowed to come with your impressions. Actually spitting is the strongest remedy tool so try it, you will not regret doing this :p

Oct 6, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #449 of 2,161
Have you tried foam-tips, Zino?

i prefer the foams sound too in fact i used only the comply t500 in medium with them. But it's been a long time i didn't use them, the acs custom tips are a really nice upgrade, better than any upgrade cable I've tried in terms of sq.

No, and I don't think I will. I tried removing the stock cable this morning, and it was taking a bit more effort than I would like to apply. I left it as is because of painful memories from my TF10 days.

yep the 2 or 3 first tries the cable is not very easy to take off, by the way tomorrow I'll receive my new fiio rc I don't expect a big upgrade but I'm still curious

Users who are viewing this thread

Back