First UE11 Impressions
Nov 15, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #1,456 of 1,600
hey I am 16 and look at my equipment
smily_headphones1.gif
I plan on adding ue-11's to my roster sometime soon

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #1,457 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The X5 is a very nice sounding player (I have one as well), an amp probably isn't strictly necessary with it.

An amp might improve bass roll-off and stereo crosstalk to a certain extent, but it's certainly not a "night and day" difference with the UE11.

Another question about that:
Is that about amping the headphone out or the line out?
Because I've read another post from you on iaudiohpile.net about using an amp with the x5's line-out and you recommended not to do it. Or is there anything new known about that (like for example as assumed there that it might have been an issue only with your test x5 or so)

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #1,458 of 1,600
Indeed, the line-out on the X5 is pretty bad, the headphone-out is way better. Other people came to the same results as me, it's not an isolated case with my X5.

Check the frequency response difference I measured between the X5 and iRiver H340 line-out (without load): RightMark Audio Analyzer test: comparison - The H340 has a good line-out, the X5 hasn't.

And line-out vs. phone-out on the X5: http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Compa...e-x5-phone.htm (this is how an amp would "see" the two outputs of the X5). Frequency response and harmonic/intermodulation distortions are infinitely better on the headphone-out.

So I definitely recommend amping the phones-out in this case, as weird as it is. The line-out has hardware issues, there's nothing a firmware update or EQ setting could do about it.

On a side note: it's pretty funny that Qables sells overpriced line-out docks for the X5, which are more or less useless...
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #1,459 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey I am 16 and look at my equipment
smily_headphones1.gif
I plan on adding ue-11's to my roster sometime soon

lol why don't you pounce for some ACS T1s instead. or wait for westone 3 customs

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #1,460 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, the line-out on the X5 is pretty bad, the headphone-out is way better. Other people came to the same results as me, it's not an isolated case with my X5.

Check the frequency response difference I measured between the X5 and iRiver H340 line-out (without load): RightMark Audio Analyzer test: comparison - The H340 has a good line-out, the X5 hasn't.

And line-out vs. phone-out on the X5: RightMark Audio Analyzer test: comparison (this is how an amp would "see" the two outputs of the X5). Frequency response and harmonic/intermodulation distortions are infinitely better on the headphone-out.

So I definitely recommend amping the phones-out in this case, as weird as it is. The line-out has hardware issues, there's nothing a firmware update or EQ setting could do about it.

On a side note: it's pretty funny that Qables sells overpriced line-out docks for the X5, which are more or less useless...
wink.gif

thanks. quite a pity that an otherwise awesome player got such issues. guess I'll still try out the headphone out + amp, maybe it does make a difference.

qables..well.. I personally don't believe in audible differences of cables (as long as you don't use ultra-ultra-cheap cables or want to go over long distances), so websites like qables are always quite amusing to look at.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #1,462 of 1,600
HP out (with volume maxed), going into an amp works great with the X5. This was clearly the consensus when the X5 came out and was all the rage. I just wish Cowon would make a new version with flash memory - AND joystick!

BTW: to the other poster who was concerned about fit, you can try the Comply Soft Wraps - little foam strips that you wrap around the stem. Works pretty well, you can play around with positioning before having new acrylic put on.

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #1,463 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by LBC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comply Soft Wraps

icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
damm they're into weird names these days.

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #1,465 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by LBC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HP out (with volume maxed), going into an amp works great with the X5. This was clearly the consensus when the X5 came out and was all the rage. I just wish Cowon would make a new version with flash memory - AND joystick!

BTW: to the other poster who was concerned about fit, you can try the Comply Soft Wraps - little foam strips that you wrap around the stem. Works pretty well, you can play around with positioning before having new acrylic put on.

If you aren't scared of modifying your X5, on iaudiophile.net (I think) were some how-tos on replacing the HD with a SSD.

The Comply Soft Wraps look useful. Well, I hope my UE 11s will fit when I get them, so this should hopefully only concern me in a few years or so
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, LBC: What is a "Silver Dragon IC"? A PM about that would be nice. Maybe that's something one needs to know, but I don't - I don't really understand what else you need besides the DAP, amp and the headhones.
/edit
Oh, it's just a cable.

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #1,470 of 1,600
Darn. UE will ship them on Dec 1st. Which means I'll probably receive them not until the 5th - if I'm lucky.
Well, at least I've finally made peace with my tf10 and the comply foams - I've hated them a few month ago, tried them again a few days ago and absolutely love them. So comfy, finally it's convenient to wear them for a few hours a day, now the waiting time is slightly changed to the better (;

Users who are viewing this thread

Back