First UE11 Impressions
Jun 25, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #1,306 of 1,600
Hi UE11 owners,

would like to check with you folks,

how do you know if you are getting a good seal with the UE11?

When you push on the faceplate, are you able to push in furthur? Meaning does some air escape when you push on the faceplate?

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #1,307 of 1,600
They should only have one position. You might be able to wiggle them around a tiny bit, but not much.

If you can push on the faceplate and get better sound -- particularly bass -- then your fit needs work.

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #1,308 of 1,600
So I had some impressions made yesterday, and had them overnighted to UE, but the rep I spoke with said that they've not had very good luck with the USPS. I'm hoping this isn't the case with my delivery. Right now, I'm spending time on usps.com tracking the order to see if it's been delivered yet. No luck so far...... *sigh*

Jun 25, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #1,309 of 1,600
UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Jackie from Ultimate Ears and she verified that they've arrived, and the impressions are acceptable. Provided everything goes well, I should be ue-11 equipped next Wednesday!!!

These next few days won't end fast enough!!!

Jun 25, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #1,310 of 1,600
Congratulations-- hope you enjoy them.

Remember to post pics post Wednesday!

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #1,311 of 1,600
Keep your wallet open for that good chance that your new UE (or Westone) custom IEMs will require *ahem* warranty repair. I've just had to pay return shipping charges for both new UE and Westone IEM warranty repair out of my own pocket.

Check this out: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/com...m-iems-334599/

I was a little surprised that the customer is responsible for additional expenses after also being inconvenienced by earpiece fit and other issues that were no fault of the customer.

It's not a significant expense, especially in terms of overall expense here, but it can and does add up in cases in which a customer has to mail the things repeatedly.

This no-reimbursement-for-shipping policy is in place at both Westone and UE. I sent an email to Westone objecting to this policy, and received a basic "that's our policy" response, but was reminded (twice) to "have a nice day!".

So, keep both fingers crossed that your UE11s are as they should be, right out of the box. Mine were not, but odds are in your favor. And have a nice day! (yack)

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #1,312 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Linthicum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep your wallet open for that good chance that your new UE (or Westone) custom IEMs will require *ahem* warranty repair. What that means is, if your brand new custom IEMs don't fit or have other issues, you the customer must fund the shipping expense back to UE (or Westone), however many trips that takes for them to get it right.

I actually got those expenses covered with my last recasing. Jeanette Coffey told me to ship back my 11s along with the receipt for both the audiologist's fee and shipping back to UE, and they would pay for it.

That, and letting us have two pairs each for the price of one due to an artwork screw-up, I have very little to complain about UE customer service.
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 9:59 AM Post #1,316 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Linthicum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just sent her an email asking why this policy is applied to some customers and not to others. Will keep you apprised.

Well this is because there has been so much trouble with ours (ordered them in jan 2008 and the issues still haven't been addressed). You don't know the whole story, it has truly been a roller-coaster.

After everything we've been going through, it feels like we should be getting this treatment. There will always be extremes with this kind of products where UE will stretch their policy.

Jun 26, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #1,317 of 1,600
I guess there isn't a standard policy that is adhered to... with UE they provided me with a no cost extra cable with free shipping. I am also sure they would have fixed any fit issues for no extra charge.

But the standard policy may be different.

Jun 27, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #1,318 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matteman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually got those expenses covered with my last recasing. Jeanette Coffey told me to ship back my 11s along with the receipt for both the audiologist's fee and shipping back to UE, and they would pay for it.

That, and letting us have two pairs each for the price of one due to an artwork screw-up, I have very little to complain about UE customer service.
wink.gif

I had to pay for my own new molds and ALL the shipping to UE.

Jun 27, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #1,319 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They should only have one position. You might be able to wiggle them around a tiny bit, but not much.

If you can push on the faceplate and get better sound -- particularly bass -- then your fit needs work.

biting on my kunckles, staying still during the curing really helps the mold.

for some strange reason though, my right ear is STILL not sealing as well as the left lear, the RIGHT moniter seems to have a gap in the ear which i can hear air escaping when i press on the faceplate. when i press on the LEFT moniter, there is no air escaping.

actually the sound doesn't change because of this air gap, it's just the "feeling' that something is inbalance and the isolation might be slightly better for the left moniter. and the feeling that the right moniter is always popping out.

i am seriously considering just accepting this pair though i am not entirely satisfied but there is only so much i can do. I did send an email to UE asking what else can be done. So far, no replies.

Jun 27, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #1,320 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by zhix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for some strange reason though, my right ear is STILL not sealing as well as the left lear, the RIGHT moniter seems to have a gap in the ear which i can hear air escaping when i press on the faceplate. when i press on the LEFT moniter, there is no air escaping.

<snip>

i am seriously considering just accepting this pair though i am not entirely satisfied but there is only so much i can do. I did send an email to UE asking what else can be done. So far, no replies.

When you talk to UE by phone, ask the Lab Supervisor if they would be willing to do a "build-up" on your right ear, rather than you having to get new molds. Your needed adjustments are in the tolerance of 10 thousandths of an inch. What other labs have done is to add small applications of clear lacquer to increase the size in the last 1/2 end of the right mold. It is not visually objective and can make the difference between "great" and "almost good".

Beware, the lab may have to make a couple of attempts, which would include more shipping unfortunately. The lab has no sense of reference so you need to be as descriptive as possible. What are you doing when you lose the seal? Standing, sitting, exercising, laying down, chewing, yawning, etc. Also please note how loose the gap is--a little, slight, happens all the time, etc. This will give them a reference how many applications of the build up material they need to apply in the lab. Given your present situation, I think it is worth another couple of tries. Ask that they bear the costs of shipping, which is normally expected at this level of corrective service.

I thought you might like to have some encouragement from another user who has been through this type of war before with another company (six times). Don't take no for an answer. They are your product and you deserve to have it work correctly for that kind of money. Also, please be sure you are talking with the supervisor of the lab who actually does these type of enhancements before you ship the product in. That is the most important person that can really help you, but keep the Customer Service Manager in the loop on all of these requests and financial commitments.

Hope this helps. Keep your chin up. You are almost there!
david

Users who are viewing this thread

Back