First UE11 Impressions
Feb 9, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #1,516 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE11: How can you have 4 separate drivers per channel and STILL have a recessed midrange?
confused.gif

I would hope the UE11 would sound kind of like an ER4s on steriods.

I've had the UE11's about since they came out....I'll provide some insight(or at least hope to).

They are the best IEM's I have ever heard. I have compared them directly with the W5000, K1000, HE60, and the list goes on. The only category they cannot compete with is openness. They sound great, but they still sound like an IEM. The are as dynamic as the he60 and k1000, but the sound is "smaller" so to speak.

They are very forward, not recessed at all(and I hate recessed mids), but they are very true to the recording. A lot of songs are more forward, but some are recessed due to the recording. So, some songs sound different, which can be annoying to me(because it sometimes sounds like I'm not listening to the UE-11 if that makes sense). Sometimes songs sound perfect for my preferences, but then for others it sounds like What? lol

On the UE-11's you have to take a chance...you can't sell them and NO sound is for everyone. At meets there were a lot of people who loved the baby orpheus, but there were also people who didn't(due to the lack of bass)...you have to understand that you may be apart of the minority and not like the UE-11. The only thing that will decrease this chance is by researching them and knowing what you like. If this is too much of a risk, then it may not be a good product for you. I got lucky, I guess. I love the sound, but I can undestand how someone wouldn't.

The best I can describe them is like the hd650 with more of a dynamic punch(speed and accuracy). I like them directly from the ipod or laptop, but I have to admit that the fact that they are IEM's get too me at times...cans provide a more whole sound and are less constraining.

I hope this helps in at least the slightest...

Feb 10, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #1,518 of 1,600
Update: I sent them back, they returned them promptly with no explanation as to the problem but the recessed mid-range (that only applied to vocals) is gone, they are now what you would expect form a such a $$$ IEM, so I will presume my original order was faulty? Customer service was excellent as always. It has been a love hate relationship for a long time but now my monitors are up there with the very best I have heard. Yes they are very recording dependant.

Edit: They also sent me, for free, the old-style thicker cable because I complained I had to replace the new-style cable twice. Again excellent customer service.

Feb 10, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #1,520 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not get a T-Shirt but I ordered a year ago I believe. Maybe the T-Shirt is a new promotion?

I got a t-shirt when I ordered mine, but they gave me the wrong one - I wanted the promotional one. Though to be honest, I was more interested in the monitors :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am very interested in hearing more about UE11 recabling -- any news from apuresound or others. I am tired of the flimsy cable that comes with the UE11s. I have already gone through two cables-- where the cable bends and goes into the IEM is where mine have broken. I do not know if I would expect better SQ from a recable but at least higher product quality/reliability.

I have the older / thicker cable (I believe it's referred to as the "Transworld" cable) in both lengths (48"/120cm, 64''/160cm) and have had no issues. It has no problems supporting the weight of the monitors.

@mark_h: Glad to hear you got your UE11s fixed.

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #1,522 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by chowk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the older / thicker cable (I believe it's referred to as the "Transworld" cable) in both lengths (48"/120cm, 64''/160cm) and have had no issues. It has no problems supporting the weight of the monitors.

@mark_h: Glad to hear you got your UE11s fixed.

Thanks for cable info. I am going to reach out the sales guy and see what he thinks or if they have some of the older cables in inventory ... just sitting around doing nothing. Plus I can ask for a T-Shirt
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #1,523 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the UE11's about since they came out....I'll provide some insight(or at least hope to).

They are the best IEM's I have ever heard. I have compared them directly with the W5000, K1000, HE60, and the list goes on. The only category they cannot compete with is openness. They sound great, but they still sound like an IEM. The are as dynamic as the he60 and k1000, but the sound is "smaller" so to speak.

They are very forward, not recessed at all(and I hate recessed mids), but they are very true to the recording. A lot of songs are more forward, but some are recessed due to the recording. So, some songs sound different, which can be annoying to me(because it sometimes sounds like I'm not listening to the UE-11 if that makes sense). Sometimes songs sound perfect for my preferences, but then for others it sounds like What? lol

On the UE-11's you have to take a chance...you can't sell them and NO sound is for everyone. At meets there were a lot of people who loved the baby orpheus, but there were also people who didn't(due to the lack of bass)...you have to understand that you may be apart of the minority and not like the UE-11. The only thing that will decrease this chance is by researching them and knowing what you like. If this is too much of a risk, then it may not be a good product for you. I got lucky, I guess. I love the sound, but I can undestand how someone wouldn't.

The best I can describe them is like the hd650 with more of a dynamic punch(speed and accuracy). I like them directly from the ipod or laptop, but I have to admit that the fact that they are IEM's get too me at times...cans provide a more whole sound and are less constraining.

I hope this helps in at least the slightest...

Cannot resale would be a big issue for me, what happens when UE12 comes out? waste 1200 bucks?

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #1,525 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cannot resale would be a big issue for me, what happens when UE12 comes out? waste 1200 bucks?

No longer an issue for me, I would not sell them if I could. If I could afford it I would purchase another pair, maybe two a backup and different artwork.

As for a UE12, there are still people who swear by the UE10.

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #1,526 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can resell them - sort of... some stores are specialized in cracking customs open and refitting them for other person's ears.

naaa...big hassle, Ill pass, its still too expensive for a portable...I rather get a HD800 ^ ^

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #1,527 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No longer an issue for me, I would not sell them if I could. If I could afford it I would purchase another pair, maybe two a backup and different artwork.

man, we are talking of thousands of dollars for a different artwork hey~Lol~I might give UE10 a try...

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #1,528 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You still enjoy them. That is the problem with us. We have to have the latest and greatest. I am not exempt, honestly I would upgrade since they(ue's) are so fit to my taste. The best thing about them for me, is that I can walk outside and still experience a "hi-fi" sound. When I first got them, I used to walk around outside like "omg, I can't believe I am hearing what I am hearing outside!" lol.

The resale issue is a true issue and I can see why someone would not want to take the risk, but I am glad I did. I'd be pissed though if I didn't like them! Honestly....they are already overpriced(like many hi-fi cans/iems), I'd want to kill UE if I hated them. lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree, I always worry about something happening to them, because they are one of the best purchases I have made(again maybe not for everyone though).

There are only two purchases that I have made in my "head-fi career" that I didn't have the slightest regret and that is the UE11 and the Sennheiser HE60. And that means *something*, look at all the cans I have sold. lol

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #1,529 of 1,600
I've had my UE 11s for several months now and thought I'd weigh in.

First and foremost, I absolutely love them. I was hugely worried about spending that much, but haven't looked back since they came. I don't have experience with good full-sized headphones, but these are in a completely different league from other IEMs (I have experience with TF10, 530, Westone 3). With good source material I still have trouble believing how good they sound.

These have to be the single biggest upgrade one can make for a portable rig. They sound better out of the HP out of a 4G iPod than my 530s do with a Classic/LOD/iQube. I'm now using an iMod and with good recordings you disappear completely into the soundstage - can't even tell the music is coming from the phones. It's incredible.

I had a really easy time with UE. Twenty minutes with the Manhattan audiologist they recommend, he shipped the impressions directly to Irvine, the IEMs arrived a day before they were supposed to. I later asked for a one-month extension on the fit warranty - more on this below - and got it without any hassle.

For those with fit problems, I learned something that may be helpful. Mine seal so well that they'll lock into my ears even when they're not inserted properly: which can hurt. I had persistent pain with my left ear from the beginning - the right was fine but the left would start hurting pretty quickly and I'd rapidly have to give it up. The seal was great and they sounded perfect, but really uncomfortable. I didn't want to send them back and kept playing with them (the extension was so I could take them on the road over Christmas break without sending them back within the formal 30-day window). It turned out that I had to figure out how they wanted to go in; with me, it means aiming the tip slightly upward as I insert them and rotate them backward. Once I got the hang of it they've been perfect. So if you're having problems, this could be it.

This thread was a big help while I was thinking/fitting, so thank you.

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #1,530 of 1,600
Here's my original thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...-today-406007/ but I figure I'd just add to this one.

Today I got my UE-11's back after sending them back for a new color a refit of my right ear. I was really missing them. I love my Westone 3's but I really really like the open soundstage the 11's have. I thought my left ear was perfect before but I think it may need a change. It loses seal easier than my right. The left is generally less bulky, I like the ear plug feel like my right ear is. I'll decide in a couple weeks if I should send my left ear back for a second time.

Here are some pics. I'll start with the look I was going for with these.

[size=xx-large]This[/size]
logo_rhcp.jpg

[size=xx-large]+[/size]

[size=xx-large]This[/size]

[size=xx-large]=[/size]
IMG_1407-1.jpg

IMG_1430-1.jpg

I originally tried to get a good mix of colors but it turned out like this
IMG_1318-1.jpg

The new ones are much better, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back