First Time Amplifier Buyers : Here is some advice for you
May 4, 2004 at 5:13 AM Post #46 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by wei_zhu
hi gsferrari, I need help.

I'm looking around for my first amp, I mainly want to use it portable with my Shure e3c or el cheapo sony mdr-ex71
tongue.gif
. My source is the ipod or iriver imp 550. I listen to hiphop, r&b and a little of pop. I looked at your startpost, Xin supermicro or Xin superdual or headroom airhead or totalhead are good for portable use. Or woulf you recommend anything else?

You are on the right track. Those are nice amps...you could build your own CMOY for less. If you want a slightly better amp that will last you a few more years on the upgrade path then get a portable PIMETA

May 5, 2004 at 12:19 PM Post #47 of 65
Nice thread Gsferrari, thanks.

What about the tailisman 3H and 31H amps? Class A amps with a nice review by Kunwar.

TonyAAA

May 6, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #49 of 65
Thanks Gsferrari for the great Thread.

What do people feel about the Rega Ear and the new Creek OBH-21/SE?
etysmile.gif

May 6, 2004 at 4:02 AM Post #50 of 65
Just a thought. You might add a $$$$$ category. In this you could add:

Weebl/Blue Hawaii
Stax T-2
Manley 300b Classic Pre-Amp
Cary 300B
Angstrom Research
Orpheus

You might also move the Blockhead to this classification.

Additionally, I would second the various Melos (Melii?) in the $$$ or $$$$ section.

Otherwise, excellent post.

May 6, 2004 at 11:28 AM Post #51 of 65
gsferrari..

might wanna add what constitute a PPA and a maxed out PPA. cause methinks noobs such as myself wouldnt know whats a maxed and whats not.

as in, maybe highlight the differences between the two? just a suggestion. and honestly till today i still dont know when a PPA is considered maxed out and when it is not. nobody seems to set the guidelines for that
confused.gif

May 6, 2004 at 11:56 AM Post #52 of 65
ixeo, I might be able to help here, at least for the Laroco PPAs. Here is the basic difference between the economy version and the maxed-out version:

The Deluxe build (maxed-out) includes the following:
Black Gate Capacitors
Cardas RCA's
Silver Interconnect Wire
Burr Brown 627 Opamps

The Economy build includes the following:
Nichicon Muse Capacitors
Oxygen Free Copper Wire Interconnects
Tiffany style RCA's
AD8610 Opamps

Both grades include the Ultra Linear Diamond Buffer, Hand Crafted Chassis and the 24V Elpac Power Adapter.

After that there are several options you can add, like AOS DAC, rechargable battery board, lab supply, stepped attenuator etc..etc...the list goes on...

However, there are many, many different PPAs out there, and the words "maxed-out" mean different things to different builders and buyers.

I've probably missed out a bunch of stuff here, but others will surely step in and add their bit, too
wink.gif

Hope this helps!

May 16, 2004 at 9:40 AM Post #53 of 65
Two reasons for this post:

First - its the best amp post for some of us beginers, thanks

Second - I believe the Talisman amp is well rated and might be included

Just a last point to make. Wouldn't it be great to rate these amps for different cans. Very subjective and lots of work but just a thought.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

May 16, 2004 at 2:45 PM Post #54 of 65
Talisman Amp ?

Forgive my ignorance but I have not heard of this particular equipment. Can you provide more information and a review or two? That will be awesome
wink.gif

It is just near impossible to do a can -> amp matching review unless everyone here contributes. BUT - seeing that they have already contributed in the past I dont see why they should do so again unless they really have nothing else to do.

A search should yield various reviews and you might have to search a little more to find that review which has your cans and the amp you are looking to get.

If you cannot find it then post a request and I am sure someone with that equipment will jump in with their opinions.
wink.gif

Cheers!

May 17, 2004 at 11:40 AM Post #55 of 65
Okay, here is the link to the Talisman review:

www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66125&highlight=talisman

Can I add that I am considering this amp for a couple of reasons: first I can buy it in Australia, second its good review, plus I like the idea of separate power transformers.

Now where you would rank this is a different question. Certainly $$$ or $$$$ depending...

Cheers,

TonyAAA

May 22, 2004 at 11:12 AM Post #56 of 65
Don't mean to bring this thread back if nobody else is interested... (I find it very useful) but any owners of the MAD ear+ like to suggest where to place it?

TonyAAA

May 23, 2004 at 9:57 AM Post #59 of 65
the link to the Talisman review is here

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66125

I did the review and have since listened to quite a few other amps.
It is still the best money i have spent on a headphone component so far.
Believe me when I say , This thing is crystal clear and does what a good amp should do. transparent, clinical, clear and totally unfatiguing.
this also means that brighjter sounding headphones might not sound that good. that said the MS Pros that i have sound excellent on this amp and even after listening to other amps I keep going back to it.
I also happen to have the MAD Ear+ 25th edition special. This amp is regarded as the lost brother of the Grados. If that is the case then the the Talisman is the lost twin of the Grados or for that matter any headphone that I have heard. Since getting into this hobby I have heard a fair few now and I absolutely love it.
Now that I have replied to the thread I will go and read the rest of the posts
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2004 at 8:40 AM Post #60 of 65
gsferrari...

...good thread!

BTW: the Earmax Pro is still listed under solid state!

peacesign.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back