First Time Amplifier Buyers : Here is some advice for you
Apr 19, 2004 at 5:59 PM Post #16 of 65
Done

(darn the stupid 10 character limit
frown.gif
)

Apr 19, 2004 at 5:59 PM Post #17 of 65
gsferrari - This is a good thread - helps almost-newbies like me, too!

Just curious - would a computer soundcard be equivalent to the low end sources listed in your $$-Fi section? I'm considering getting a new amp for my computer set up. I'm already using a Meta42 amp. Are there better amps to use with a computer soundcard? (I use an M-Audio Revolution, but I may upgrade that, too....)

Apr 19, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #18 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by OakIris
gsferrari - This is a good thread - helps almost-newbies like me, too!

Just curious - would a computer soundcard be equivalent to the low end sources listed in your $$-Fi section? I'm considering getting a new amp for my computer set up. I'm already using a Meta42 amp. Are there better amps to use with a computer soundcard? (I use an M-Audio Revolution, but I may upgrade that, too....)

If the sound card has an optical out or a REAL line out then it would classify as a $$-Fi source. But it needs to be a rather nice sound card or at least an external DAC like the Xitel ones...

www.xitel.com

Apr 19, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #19 of 65
For what it's worth,the Earmax(in both versions)is a single ended triode OTL valve amp and would(assuming the exchange rate as it is today)cost approximately $900 in the US.

Apr 19, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #20 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
If the sound card has an optical out or a REAL line out then it would classify as a $$-Fi source. But it needs to be a rather nice sound card or at least an external DAC like the Xitel ones...

www.xitel.com

Good idea... M-Audio Revo, Audiophile, Terratec EWX (and cards with similar design/chipsets) should be a 'minimum requirement'... Soundblaster Live's got to go (in the trash can)
tongue.gif

Also, in my opinion all soundcards should be amped for much better SQ, even if they have a headphone jack. Same reason that people use 'line out' to a quality amp from standalone gear rather than built-in headphone jacks... they just aren't very good quality.

Apr 19, 2004 at 9:10 PM Post #21 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Good idea... M-Audio Revo, Audiophile, Terratec EWX (and cards with similar design/chipsets) should be a 'minimum requirement'... Soundblaster Live's got to go (in the trash can)
tongue.gif

Also, in my opinion all soundcards should be amped for much better SQ, even if they have a headphone jack. Same reason that people use 'line out' to a quality amp from standalone gear rather than built-in headphone jacks... they just aren't very good quality.

Should also include the Lynx Model 2 and RME DIGI96 cards although the Lynx is well beyond the RME in terms of cost and versatility.

Apr 19, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #22 of 65
Aside from the EMP thing already mentioned, I don't think the RA-1 should be placed so low, I'd give it at least a mid level position / rating, after all it was designed for RS-1 / RS-2 and IMO deserves something better then entry level, also you'd be spending far too much on such an amp compared to the phones etc.

Apr 19, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #23 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spent&Bent
Aside from the EMP thing already mentioned, I don't think the RA-1 should be placed so low, I'd give it at least a mid level position / rating, after all it was designed for RS-1 / RS-2 and IMO deserves something better then entry level, also you'd be spending far too much on such an amp compared to the phones etc.

The problem with the RA-1 is that it is a glorified op-amp based amplifier which competes with the PPA as far as price is concerned. But it is a no-contest with the PPA as far as performance is concerned. Which is why I put it among the rest of the op-amp based amplifiers in the $$-Fi

Also - it is in the company of the Gilmore Lite
k1000smile.gif
which I think is a far more superior amplifier...

I dont think anyone should be ashamed of the $$-Fi - just because the $ count is low doesnt mean it is a bad setup. I have heard some $-Fi setups that are better sounding than a few $$$$-Fi setups
rolleyes.gif

Apr 19, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #24 of 65
Quote:

I object to the "Low-Fi" "Mid-Fi" and "Hi-Fi" classifications. This is not the way these terms are commonly used in the audio world, and I think it would just confuse newcomers. E.g. if Grado SR-60s are "low-fi," what does that make a pair of cheapo Coby earbuds (No-Fi?
biggrin.gif
).

Since an objection should come with a suggestion, how about "budget hi-fi," "midrange hi-fi" and "ultra hi-fi" (or something similar to these terms).

LOL, I agree with Fewtch.

Add a "No-Fi" category.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Apr 19, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #26 of 65
If I have read correctly the ZOTL belongs ot the third group, is a nice amp, and you are missing also the RKV, Melos, and the new AT digital amp, (which nobody seems to have heard).......and the Sudgen (a good match for ATs lovers)

Apr 19, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #27 of 65
Quote:

The problem with the RA-1 is that it is a glorified op-amp based amplifier which competes with the PPA as far as price is concerned. But it is a no-contest with the PPA as far as performance is concerned. Which is why I put it among the rest of the op-amp based amplifiers in the $$-Fi

Isn't the PPA also op-amp based?

Apr 19, 2004 at 11:42 PM Post #28 of 65
Quote:

tongue.gif

Well not exactly, just send it to me, I will use it in my computer, to heard those "musical noises" I can get out of it....LOL....(while listening music in any other place)....

Apr 19, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #29 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
Isn't the PPA also op-amp based?

Thanks God it is....!!!

Apr 19, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #30 of 65
Quote:

Also - it is in the company of the Gilmore Lite
k1000smile.gif
which I think is a far more superior amplifier...

I dont think anyone should be ashamed of the $$-Fi - just because the $ count is low doesnt mean it is a bad setup. I have heard some $-Fi setups that are better sounding than a few $$$$-Fi setups
rolleyes.gif

Sorry for my ignorance, but in what way do you feel the RA-1/RS-1 combo lacking compared to the RS-1/PPA? this is a genuine question since I have never heard a PPA.

Edit: question answered in pm thanks again gsferrari.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back