First "real" headphones
Nov 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

rambisco

New Head-Fier
My first time on here. So no fancy terms or anything, ok people >:xf_eek:. Anyway, I currently have HD 203's which I got for christmas last year when I didn't know anything about headphones. These are ok, but on some songs, the bass is just not that loud. Yes, I'm another "bass junkie". I'm looking to see if I'll see a significant improvement from the 203's that will justify the cost. I'm looking for anywhere from 70-120 dollars. (will go higher if it REALLY justifies the price)

Some things I care about:

Sound leakage, as long as someone sitting next to me can't understand the words, I'm fine :p. (I listen to my sennheisners at about 80% volume off my iPhone, to give you a rough idea)
Style. I know it's not really that important, but they can't be pink.
And lastly:

How overrated are beats? I have a lot of friends with beats, and I want to know how bad I can prove to them beats suck. 

And lastly, wireless is a +++++++++++. (As long as it doesn't sacrifice quality..? Probably would increase cost alot, so really not that important 
tongue.gif
)

Don't want to need an AMP, I also use onboard sound when on my laptop and my iPhone. so if they have to be driver tweaked for perfection, then I probably won't want them :p

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 12
My first time on here. So no fancy terms or anything, ok people >:xf_eek:. Anyway, I currently have HD 203's which I got for christmas last year when I didn't know anything about headphones. These are ok, but on some songs, the bass is just not that loud. Yes, I'm another "bass junkie". I'm looking to see if I'll see a significant improvement from the 203's that will justify the cost. I'm looking for anywhere from 70-120 dollars. (will go higher if it REALLY justifies the price)

Sound leakage, as long as someone sitting next to me can't understand the words, I'm fine :p. (I listen to my sennheisners at about 80% volume off my iPhone, to give you a rough idea)
And lastly:

How overrated are beats? I have a lot of friends with beats, and I want to know how bad I can prove to them beats suck. 

And lastly, wireless is a +++++++++++. (As long as it doesn't sacrifice quality..? Probably would increase cost alot, so really not that important :p )

"Bass junkie" headphones that sound great I would recommend:

UE6000 -- I am positive you will be able to find a deal on these for black friday for less than the 200 price tag.

V Moda LP2.

Oh how I wish you did not stirr the beats pot. There are enough beats bashing threads on here. Just search if you need a fill of beats comments.

If you want to drop cash for a wireless headphone.. get the UE9000 which again I wouldn't be suprised if you can get them for far less than $400 on black friday deals. Either that or refurbished Sennheiser MM550's pop up now and then for about $250.

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 12
First, I assume my iPhone will give a loss of quality. Is this true?
Second, my laptop has this sound card. (realtek ALC269) I don't know how much better it is than standard integrated, but here's to hoping:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=27&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=166
Quote:
Heya,

Ultrasone HFI 580
Reloop RHP-20
Pioneer HDJ-1500-K
Denon DNHP700

You're not going to get wireless in this range with excellent sonic properties.

Very best,

That's what I was expecting with the wireless.

A couple things: 
I'm probably leaning toward the Denon or the Ultrasone at this point, because they're cheaper. Is the $160 reloop really worth the extra 40? Not to sound stingy but you guys really saturated my budget fast.
Some people in the reviews are saying things like, if you don't have a decent sound card, don't get these. Or: An amplifier really brings out the sound. True? Finally,
How would these compare to the HD 203's?
Giving me links and expecting me to be able to discern differences is overstating my abilities 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
"Bass junkie" headphones that sound great I would recommend:
UE6000 -- I am positive you will be able to find a deal on these for black friday for less than the 200 price tag.
V Moda LP2.
Oh how I wish you did not stirr the beats pot. There are enough beats bashing threads on here. Just search if you need a fill of beats comments.
If you want to drop cash for a wireless headphone.. get the UE9000 which again I wouldn't be suprised if you can get them for far less than $400 on black friday deals. Either that or refurbished Sennheiser MM550's pop up now and then for about $250.

$200 is a little too steep for me. But I'll check back on the sale days. Are they alot better performing (specifically bass) than the ones Mal posted?

thanks alot guys!

Nov 21, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 12
First, I assume my iPhone will give a loss of quality. Is this true?
Second, my laptop has this sound card. (realtek ALC269) I don't know how much better it is than standard integrated, but here's to hoping:
I'm probably leaning toward the Denon or the Ultrasone at this point, because they're cheaper. Is the $160 reloop really worth the extra 40? Not to sound stingy but you guys really saturated my budget fast.

$200 is a little too steep for me. But I'll check back on the sale days. Are they alot better performing (specifically bass) than the ones Mal posted?

thanks alot guys!

I really can't comment on your laptop sound without hearing it. It might be fine I just don't know.

The UE is a great sounding bass emphasized HP and includes a built in amp which takes batteries in one side. Denon and Ultrasone are both known for bass as well. I wasn't really trying to steer you away from Mal's suggestions, he posted while I was typing my answer. He is a guy who enjoys good bass too so he knows what he's talking about. I haven't heard those models.

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 12

And lastly:

And lastly, wireless is a +++++++++++. (As long as it doesn't sacrifice quality..? Probably would increase cost alot, so really not that important :p )

Don't want to need an AMP, I also use onboard sound when on my laptop and my iPhone. so if they have to be driver tweaked for perfection, then I probably won't want them :p

I always hear good things about the ath-m50 ($100). The MDR-XB500 may be good to take a look at and do more research, extra bass ($70). Also, the sr80i is a decent choice, but may lack the bass you desire ($99). You'll get a more surreal music experience with open ended headphones (headphones people can hear the music while you're listening), but closed don't leak as much sound and drive more bass, etc. Beats are overrated and I wouldn't mention that word too much on these forums.

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
I always hear good things about the ath-m50 ($100). The MDR-XB500 may be good to take a look at and do more research, extra bass ($70). Also, the sr80i is a decent choice, but may lack the bass you desire ($99). You'll get a more surreal music experience with open ended headphones (headphones people can hear the music while you're listening), but closed don't leak as much sound and drive more bass, etc. Beats are overrated and I wouldn't mention that word too much on these forums.

Right now, I'm really liking the M50 and the Ultrasone HFI-580. Everyone is praising the M50 (amazing amount of positive reviews), but a thread on the first page of this forum is talking about how overrated they are. And those XB500's are almost PERFECT but they look so absurdly huge!! http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61V4Asi8XpL.jpg ?? That looks insane! I might screw it and get them anyway, but still, that's crazy. As for the Ultrasone, I really don't know how they compare. They seem to have good bass, but so do the XB's, and they're 70 dollars cheaper. And, again, lastly:

How do all of these compare to my HD 203s?? I'm just a little kid saving his money, lol, so every penny counts for this, and I don't want it to be a waste.

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
Right now, I'm really liking the M50 and the Ultrasone HFI-580. Everyone is praising the M50 (amazing amount of positive reviews), but a thread on the first page of this forum is talking about how overrated they are. And those XB500's are almost PERFECT but they look so absurdly huge!! http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61V4Asi8XpL.jpg ?? That looks insane! I might screw it and get them anyway, but still, that's crazy. As for the Ultrasone, I really don't know how they compare. They seem to have good bass, but so do the XB's, and they're 70 dollars cheaper. And, again, lastly:

How do all of these compare to my HD 203s?? I'm just a little kid saving his money, lol, so every penny counts for this, and I don't want it to be a waste.

They're not that big. M50 and XB500 side by side.

Get the Ultrasone.

Very best,

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

They're not that big. M50 and XB500 side by side.

Get the Ultrasone.

Very best,

Oh. That helps put it in perspective. Thanks.

So you feel the 50 dollar price difference between the sony and the ultrasone would be justified & noticeable to someone as "noobish" as me when it comes to quality headphones? If so, hoping they don't leak, I'll get those.

(and is there a reason you guys are avoiding my question? are my HD203's so bad it's not worth answering? lol, I'm just going to guess these blow them out of the water)

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

The Sony XB500 have significant bass quantity, while the Ultrasone HFI-580 have less bass quantity (still quite bassy) but they have much higher bass quality and more clarity throughout the entire frequency range. The ATH-M50 aren't to be considered, given your preferences.

Overall, the HFI-580 are the best option for bass emphasized headphones that also have detailed sound. If you just want bass (quantity) and bass alone, get the XB500.

EDIT: And yes, they are an improvement over your HD203 on just about all aspects.

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

The Sony XB500 have significant bass quantity, while the Ultrasone HFI-580 have less bass quantity (still quite bassy) but they have much higher bass quality and more clarity throughout the entire frequency range. The ATH-M50 aren't to be considered, given your preferences.

Overall, the HFI-580 are the best option for bass emphasized headphones that also have detailed sound. If you just want bass (quantity) and bass alone, get the XB500.

EDIT: And yes, they are an improvement over your HD203 on just about all aspects.

Ok, I'm actually about to decide now! Lol. Also, what are you guy's opinion on the M-Audio Q40? I've heard alot of good things about that too. Also, I found a nice comparison between the 580 and the XB500: http://www.head-fi.org/t/542838/ultrasone-hfi-580-vs-sony-xb500-comparison-review

and I'm wondering whether I'll be able to tell the difference in the quality. I understand the XB has more bass, but the others have better quality bass. (Well, better quality everything.) Is that quality very noticeable? Worth 50 dollars? I'm not sure if my untrained ears would be able to pick up a difference. I know it's hard to really tell how sensitive one's ears are, but I can definitely tell the difference between 128 vs 192 vs 320kbps music. But thank you guys for all your help, and putting up with a n00b.

tl;dr Q40 vs HFI-580 vs XB500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back