first post on this forum, asking suggestion about a good amp/DAC solution for HD 25-1 II
Mar 2, 2011 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

weipim

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All!

I have been lurking around here fore a few weeks, and the degree I am getting into this audiophile area is faster than I imagined.

here is my problem :{pc/iphone 4} -> {USB/ANALOG/LOD} -> {Missing} -> {HD 25-1 ii}
I need to fill up the missing part! Budget will be below 200, the cheaper the best.

Here is a brief of my story:

Use purpose: I would like to listen some music with my Iphone 4 in college( walking on campus, library etc, and sorry for using Iphone 4, i know it's not really an audiophile vocabulary) and when at home I would like to plug into my desktop and listen to music plus gaming. Therefore I would say my need is heavy on versatile: a solution that will be flexible on different scene rather than maximizing marginal audio quality.

What I have bought: a few weeks ago, I tried a pair of DT 660 + E5 from a friend, and it really did not stand out to my ears. the bass is bloating and the treble is hurting my ears: listened to the APE's on my desktop. I did not tried on my iphone 4 since I thought it can only get worse.

So I came back on this forum and after some researching, I ordered the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II with an extra pair of velour pads. I think it is more portable than the dt 660 ( the headband was hurting my head since I got a HUGE HUGE HUGE SQUARE head) and the bulky size of dt 660 worries me as well. Thus I think the hd 25-1 ii could be a better solution in this case, and also I ordered some fiio LOD for outputing from my iphone 4. now the only thing missing( i hope) , is a portable amp/dac. I am aware that a lot of people say I don't need an amp to drive the hd-25-1 ii, however my concern is at 70 ohms impedance a little extra power might still be helpful, especially that I don't have great sources of sound: I have an onboard realtek sound card for desktop and an lenovo tablet laptop and iphone 4 as music player... this is also the reason I was thinking of including a DAC here, but bottom line is, I am confused.

So after all, I would really appreciate any suggestion on my situation, and a set of solution to help me perfect my "rig" will be really really helpful than just telling me what amp model to get.

The genre of music I listen to: 5% classic, 20% gaming, 35% hip hop gangsta rap shizzle ( but I am not a basshead at all) and 40% asian pop music.

Thank you very much this is my first post ha.

Weipim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back