First Pair of Good Headphones
May 23, 2011 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Clark

New Head-Fier
I'm looking into buying some headphones, I'm having trouble narrowing them down, and I'm seeking advice. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Right now, I would mostly use them to listen to music, but I would like to be able to use them for gaming and movies, as well. I listen to a wide variety of music - I consider myself a music enthusiast - but I mostly listen to alternative rock (Radiohead, etc.), and I like the music to sound as unaltered from the source as possible. Eventually, I want to be able to use them as studio monitors.

I think I have decided I want closed circumaural headphones, but I'm open to suggestions. I don't want to buy a headphone amp, as my budget is limited, so I want a pair that will perform well without one. And, of course, I'd like them to be comfortable to wear for extended sessions.

After researching extensively, I'm currently interested in Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, Shure SRH440, and Sony MDR-V6. The Sony's are the most affordable (currently available for about $65), and I know they're legendary and have been around forever, but I've read that they don't sound that great. The Sennheiser's and Shure's are both available for about $99 and I've read both great and mixed reactions to both, depending on the source. I've read nearly universal praise for the Audio-Technica's, but they're about $150, and I'd really like to spend under $100, if possible.

What do you guys think? Do one of these four sound like they'd fit my needs, or do you suggest something else? Thanks!

May 23, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #2 of 19
I think you've rounded up the usual suspects, although your purposes for the headphones need to be more clearly defined.

"Studio monitor" and "true to source/recording" are 2 requirements that tend to go hand-in-hand; however, what kind of studio monitoring do you aim to engage in? Is it production/mixing, or will you just need something to function as a tracking/monitoring device for an instrumentalist? If it's the latter, then yes, a closed headphone billed as a "studio monitor" will likely do the job.

As for gaming: are you a serious gamer? Or just casual? Regardless, will you be playing online (which will probably lead to a mic requirement), and will FPS be an important genre for you? 
It's generally thought that good headphones for competitive gaming are open, for a better sense of space/positioning, and are not bassy, so as to avoid drowning out details. On the other hand, headphones just for fun are probably a bit bassy, because that makes explosions sound more engaging. Ditto for movies.

May 23, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 19
As a studio monitor, both. I like to do some recording and mixing on my computer (using Audacity, usually), but I'm also planning on going back to school for audio engineering (focusing on studio recording).

Casual gamer these days, and I rarely (if ever) play online anymore. Xbox 360 hooked up to 42" Panasonic plasma and a Pioneer 5.1 receiver, either of which I can use for sound if I needed to chat online, so that's not an issue. I'm not sure I would use them too often for movies, but I'd like to have a pair that would perform adequately, if needed. Basically, right now I'm sharing a room and the other person is gaming online constantly, and chats loudly, and I'd like to be able to tune him out.

May 23, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 19
Hm... I guess you could rule the M50's out for neutrality. There's conflicting opinions on how neutral it is; on top of that, there are 2 iterations of the M50, and one is supposedly bassier, so purchasing it might run the risk of getting the "wrong" version for your purposes.

I'm sure you know that mixing, headphones are generally frowned upon. Therefore let's be realistic: whatever phones you get now will merely suffice for casual/amateur level production work, and if you decide to pursue that path seriously, then you can look into monitor speakers.
On that note, the 280 seems to have more divided opinions on its ability as a monitor, though I know some good musicians who use one at home and on stage (the bassist in a full band, for e.g.). Pomplamoose also uses them while recording, and they make some truly excellent music.
The V6 has a good industry rep, it seems. Only tried them briefly once, can't comment much on their sound.
440 is really quite decent--neutral to my ears, good sense of space.

None of these headphones will likely be that great for gaming, but since you just want to game casually, that requirement needs to take a major backseat.

What's this about using the TV or receiver for sound if you need to chat online?

May 23, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 19
I was just saying that if I absolutely needed to chat while gaming online, I could use the Xbox headset and have the game's sound play through either one of those.

Anyway, yes, using the headphones for gaming/movies is more of an auxiliary requirement. And as a studio monitor, it would be more for amateur and casual use.

The main use would be for listening to music.

May 23, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 19
May 23, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
Hm... I guess you could rule the M50's out for neutrality. There's conflicting opinions on how neutral it is; on top of that, there are 2 iterations of the M50, and one is supposedly bassier, so purchasing it might run the risk of getting the "wrong" version for your purposes.

I'm sure you know that mixing, headphones are generally frowned upon. Therefore let's be realistic: whatever phones you get now will merely suffice for casual/amateur level production work, and if you decide to pursue that path seriously, then you can look into monitor speakers.
On that note, the 280 seems to have more divided opinions on its ability as a monitor, though I know some good musicians who use one at home and on stage (the bassist in a full band, for e.g.). Pomplamoose also uses them while recording, and they make some truly excellent music.
The V6 has a good industry rep, it seems. Only tried them briefly once, can't comment much on their sound.
440 is really quite decent--neutral to my ears, good sense of space.

None of these headphones will likely be that great for gaming, but since you just want to game casually, that requirement needs to take a major backseat.

What's this about using the TV or receiver for sound if you need to chat online?

To clear things up: the M50 white box variants are the balanced ones. The blue box variants are the supposedly bassier ones. The white box variants are pretty balanced, with bass that may but just a tad too much for a neutralist while being too little for a basshead. Versus the 440, the M50s are more fun and warm, and I think it doubles up as a great neutral + fun combo if you're seeking both.
Both the Shures and the Audio Techs are very versatile cans, When it comes down to these two, it's all up to what you want.

May 23, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #8 of 19
The M50's are a good headphone, but they tend to be bassier than some others, so that may turn you off, as well as the higher price point. The Shure 440's are a more neutral headphone I believe, however, they have a tendency to have sharper highs. You could try the Sennheiser HD448/HD428. The 448's are around $100, and the 428's are around $80. From what I've read, there isn't a huge difference in sound, but for 20 bucks more, you might want to just go with the safer pick. They're a great sounding headphone, however, they tend to be lean on bass, so if you want a lot of bass, these won't satisfy you. But, you said you listen to mostly alternative rock, so that might not be a problem for you.

May 23, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 19
Thanks guys. I wouldn't mind a little extra bass as long as it's accurate and not boomy or muddy.

Those HD 448s look pretty nice, too. And they're available for $59 right now. Also, I found the ATH-M50s for $109. Man, I'm going backwards here; I need to eliminate some. Haha.

These are the best prices I can find, including shipping:

Sony MDR-V6 - $66
Shure SRH440 - $90
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro - $90
Sennheiser HD 448 - $99
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - $122

So which of these, in your respective opinions, are the best, regardless of the price? Which is the best value?

May 23, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #10 of 19
"Good with alt rock" and "neutral" don't quite go together. Although of course it's subjective, people generally prefer a forward sound for any kind of rock music. The SRH440's seem like the best pick out of your list, to me at least.

May 23, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #11 of 19
It turns out Google was incorrectly linking me to HD428s rather than 448s, and, thus, they're not actually available for $59. I updated my post to reflect that.

Anyone else want to chime in? Please do.

May 24, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #12 of 19
Fostex T50RP is a great value at around $75. They're excellent out of the box and can be driven from an iPod (I just checked mine). Amping them makes them even better. And if you are up to it, you can even mod them into monster cans that rival top tier headphones. (Search for "Thunderpants".)

May 24, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #13 of 19
I've owned a pair of ATH M50s for a few months now and I couldn't be happier. I listen to a wide variety of music from alt rock, jazz, ambient, and these phones really do give you the best bang for your buck. 

Go with the M50s for sure, you won't regret it. 

May 24, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #15 of 19
Hello, The only two i've had from your list are the V6 and the M50. and I prefer the V6, not a fan of the "fake" bass in the M50, lack punch IMO, the V6 are fun to listen to, not to mention cheaper and more portables (m50 is too bulky for me)

but V6 sure isnt a neutral headphone, a bit of Fun V shaped sound but I dont think the mids sound as recessed as in the M50.

If you consider open, think Alessandro MS1, i prefer those to listen to more altern. like rock, like Radiohead, Pineapple Thief, Porcupine....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back