First new cans in 10 years. Beyer DT990
Oct 3, 2011 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

plexxx

New Head-Fier
I finally purchased some new headphones. After using my Sony V6's for the past 10 years I thought it was time for something new.  I've lurked around here and settled on the Beyerdynamic DT-990's, 600 ohm version.  Got them today and they sound great.  

They sound good connected to the av amp but not great and I find they actually sound better connected to my PC via my USB Lexicon alpha sound device that I use for recording music.  It seems to have no problem driving them, volume knob is at about 30% and its loud enough.

When I have them connected to the amp the quality isn't as good as the lexicon and the amp also has some hiss.  I hear no hiss connected to the alpha

Any suggestions on what I can do to improve my experience with these?  I looked at different DACs and headphone amps but haven't decided on any.

Oct 3, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #2 of 8

Quote:
I finally purchased some new headphones. After using my Sony V6's for the past 10 years I thought it was time for something new.  I've lurked around here and settled on the Beyerdynamic DT-990's, 600 ohm version.  Got them today and they sound great.  

They sound good connected to the av amp but not great and I find they actually sound better connected to my PC via my USB Lexicon alpha sound device that I use for recording music.  It seems to have no problem driving them, volume knob is at about 30% and its loud enough.

When I have them connected to the amp the quality isn't as good as the lexicon and the amp also has some hiss.  I hear no hiss connected to the alpha

Any suggestions on what I can do to improve my experience with these?  I looked at different DACs and headphone amps but haven't decided on any.

what is the source from the amp?

Oct 3, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 8
not all AV amps headphone jacks are created equal.  I've got several pairs of beyers and have only found 2 AV recievers or integrated amps that have headphone jacks worth a darn.  try finding a different one.

what kind of av amp is it?

Oct 3, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 8
 First of all, how did you hold back for 10 years? Please tell me your secret :wink:

Secondly, I would recommend getting something like a maverick d1, or fiio e7/e9 (a dac/amp). It's very hard not to hear a difference.

Oct 3, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #6 of 8
If you have the lexicon alpha and are using them mainly with your PC, don't get any amp. I drive all my headphones through my Phonic Helix Board 12 MKII with total ease, despite any impedance.

Oct 3, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #7 of 8
It's a Pioneer VSX-2016 AV.  Surely a capable amp for home theater, but I suppose its either old, has a crappy headphone jack or some kind of grounding issue..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back