First Impressions of Cardas HD-580/600 Prototype Cable
Jan 30, 2002 at 9:52 PM Post #16 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk
That was my question -- are you going to keep them?

DustyChalk,

These prototypes will be going back to Cardas.

I already know I'm not a big Clou Red fan (haven't tried Clou Blue). So my choice will come down to the final production version of the Cardas headphone cable or the Stefan AudioArt Equinox -- whichever sounds better to me. I don't know of any other cables coming out, so it'll likely be one of those two.

Jan 31, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #17 of 56
I just got this email from Cardas:

"The headphone cables shown at CES were the initial prototype, this
product is in the final stage of development. We hope to have it
available to the public by early March. The projected retail price is
approximately $150. They will be available through Headroom, Music
Direct, Audio Advisor, and most of our cable dealers. Please contact
them to let them know you would like to receive one of the first sets,
they will be keeping a list of people who express an interest in order
to receive enough in their first shipment.

Thank you for your interest in Cardas Audio products.

Brian Von Bork
Cardas Audio"

Lextek
cool.gif

I'm calling Todd!

Jan 31, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #19 of 56
I fiqure I could put a Neutrik 1/4" female connector on the end of the severed Clou and have a nice extension for the Cardas. Improved sound is good. Improved sound and flexibility is better.

Lextek
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 31, 2002 at 2:51 AM Post #20 of 56
I really enjoy the added frequency extremes and details that the clous bring, but I find them bright...

It seems that it is between the Stephans and the Cardas now...

Jan 31, 2002 at 9:56 AM Post #22 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
May I just express astonishment (or skepticism) here at the fact that the HD580 / 600 population out there is so large that it can support a market for 2, no, 3 brands of after-market proprietary headphone cables...

Well, although there are a lot of 580/600 cans in use currently, and they have been produced for quite a few years, and are still in current production, there are also other Sennheiser headphones that can use the same cables. The main focus of the new cables are the two top Senn cans, but my HD545's (may they rest in peace) used the same cables, and I would think the 565 and 535 do to. It may not make sense to spend more on a cable than on the cans themselves, but that is about what some people will do, especially with the top of the line Audioart cables that cost more than my HD580s did.

I was going to buy a shorter Audioart Nightpath cable for my HD570's, but for $60, I think I will try to make my own out of Canare cable since the cans use a readily available 3/32" sub-mini plug. The 570's don't really warrant an expensive cable. I'll just save up for a better cable for my 580's.

-Keith

Jan 31, 2002 at 10:24 PM Post #26 of 56
The Stefan AudioArt Equinox HD-580/600 cable just arrived today.

I only just plugged it in, as I wanted it to get to room temperature first (think Michigan winter).

I'll post more information about this cable shortly in a separate thread.

Feb 1, 2002 at 4:14 AM Post #28 of 56
Jude,

Many of us are relying on your esteemed opinion. I think you really need to do a proper a/b/c with the clou red present. It's easy to get excited about something new. I'd be willing to send you my clou red to help in the analysis. Just say the word and I'll send them off to you.

Feb 1, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #29 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by roll-man
Jude,

Many of us are relying on your esteemed opinion. I think you really need to do a proper a/b/c with the clou red. It's easy to get excited about something new. I'b be willing to send you my clou red to help in the analysis. Just say the word and I'll send them off to you.

That'd be fantastic if you're willing. I'll reimburse you for insured shipping, and will ship it back to you via insured shipping.

Are you sure about this? If so, PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back