First Impressions of Cardas HD-580/600 Prototype Cable
Feb 1, 2002 at 7:03 AM Post #34 of 56
Roll-Man kicks ass!
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 1, 2002 at 7:06 AM Post #35 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
May I just express astonishment (or skepticism) here at the fact that the HD580 / 600 population out there is so large that it can support a market for 2, no, 3 brands of after-market proprietary headphone cables...

yeah, no kidding! In all honesty, I highly doubt that even if AKG did make all their headphones with removable cables (they did make two new headphones with replacable cables though, so maybe they WILL equip their headphone line with them) that a company would come along and start making replacement cables for them. the AKG population is too small or maybe just not vocal enough. Still, removable cables are a nice feature and I wish more companies would incorprate them. if nothing else, devoted fans can make their OWN replacements
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2002 at 7:15 AM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda

yeah, no kidding! In all honesty, I highly doubt that even if AKG did make all their headphones with removable cables (they did make two new headphones with replacable cables though, so maybe they WILL equip their headphone line with them) that a company would come along and start making replacement cables for them.

It depends....

If AKG replacement cable market share was the primary goal, it'd only take sales of about three (maybe four) units to corner the market! Just kidding, Neruda!
wink.gif

AKG K501 DIY Replacement Cable Kit -- Subwoofer Included
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2002 at 7:33 AM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
If AKG replacement cable market share was the primary goal, it'd only take sales of about three (maybe four) units to corner the market! Just kidding, Neruda!
wink.gif

AKG K501 DIY Replacement Cable Kit -- Subwoofer Included
tongue.gif

ha....ha....ha.
mad.gif
wink.gif

And just so you know, you can't integrate a K501 with a sub! well, then again, I suppose you sennheiser fans would like it; it makes the bass unnatural and boomy
tongue.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

wait! wait! One more: show me a cable that can control sennheiser bass and unveil the high end, and I'll show you a K501!
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2002 at 8:26 AM Post #41 of 56
Jude,
When I saw the cable at CES it had a very large 1/4 plug.Does yours have this?I did note that it was much more flexible than the clou I used from the Sterophile room.I did'nt notice the earpiece plugs.I actually was very distracted by the turntable that was in the Cardas room and completely forgot about the cable.Turntables and vinyl are my first love, so please forgive me.If the retail price they qouted me of $150.00 sticks, this will be the lowest priced cable item they sell.Did you notice that the Cardas cable is also much shorter than stock or is the one you have longer?The one at CES was 6 foot max.

Feb 1, 2002 at 8:35 AM Post #43 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
Jude,
When I saw the cable at CES it had a very large 1/4 plug.Does yours have this?I did note that it was much more flexible than the clou I used from the Sterophile room.I did'nt notice the earpiece plugs.I actually was very distracted by the turntable that was in the Cardas room and completely forgot about the cable.Turntables and vinyl are my first love, so please forgive me.If the retail price they qouted me of $150.00 sticks, this will be the lowest priced cable item they sell.Did you notice that the Cardas cable is also much shorter than stock or is the one you have longer?The one at CES was 6 foot max.

Yeah, I saw your latest photo posts from CES -- I can see why that turntable distracted you.

Yes, I think I may have the exact prototype you handled.

The earpiece plugs -- to me, this is where Cardas currently has a significant advantage over Stefan AudioArt and Clou. Cardas is either making the plugs themselves or sourcing them to their specs. This means that they can do away with splicing that would be necessary if obtaining the plugs from stock cables. It also means that the cables on the Cardas can go straight into each earpiece plug, eliminating the long heatshrink covers that Clou and Stefan AudioArt use for covering the connection/splice (which I fear could put undue strain on those small earpiece plugs).

The 1/4" plug is indeed quite large.

And, yes, the pre-production prototype I have is shorter than the stock cable. I would estimate it to be about 7 feet long.

Feb 1, 2002 at 8:53 AM Post #44 of 56
If you have the one I handeled at CES then I think maybe yours has the Crosstalk plug.The guy I talked to(not George Cardas)made a big deal about it.he seemed to think that was the big selling point of the cable.I don't know so please don't take my word.If you have been told otherwise then you have the facts.When I was shown the cable it was handed to me plug first and the aforementioned person explaining the virtues and benefits of the new plug.Please keep me posted.I am eagerly awaiting my shipment from Cardas,hopefully containing final production version of this cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back