First Impressions of Cardas HD-580/600 Prototype Cable
Jan 30, 2002 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56
[size=3.5]First off, to answer what will likely be the first questions:
  1. The Cardas cable is significantly thinner and much more flexible than the Clou Red Jaspis. It's not floppy like the stock cable, but it is very flexible.
  2. Though I don't have an exact release date, I believe the full production version of this cable should be available for purchase soon.
  3. It's shielded.
  4. It sounds great (more comments below), and provides a significant sonic upgrade from the stock cable.
  5. In the production version of this cable, there will be a 1/4" headphone plug of a new design that helps eliminate crosstalk.
  6. I don't have a Clou Red Jaspis to do a direct A/B comparison against the Cardas, but I will have a Stefan AudioArt Equinox very soon.
Long story short, I absolutely dig this cable so far.

Though not floppy-flexible like the stock cable, the Cardas headphone cable is far more flexible, thin, and manageable than the Clou Red Jaspis. Additionally, it appears Cardas has either sourced or made their own earpiece plugs and earpiece plug moldings.

NOTE: Since I no longer have the Clou Red, any sonic comparisons I make to them are all the more subjective.

While I remember being impressed with the more revealing nature (versus the stock cable) of the Clou Red (particularly in the highs), I do remember feeling there was a slight sense of tonal disjointedness -- as if the highs were takin’ off and leaving everything else slightly behind. I did find the Clou Red to be an overall sonic improvement over the stock cable, but the wow factor wasn’t enough for me to overcome the stiffness, so I sold them to another Head-Fi’er.

First of all, let me preface any statements I make about the Cardas headphone cable prototype by mentioning that I do not believe the prototype has the newfangled 1/4" headphone plug designed by Cardas to reduce crosstalk. Once equipped with this newly designed plug, the final production cable might exhibit even better performance. Even sans fancy new plug, the sonic performance of this Cardas prototype cable has impressed me considerably more than I can remember the Clou doing.

On a scale with “warm and soothing” on one side and “hyper-revealing/unforgiving on the other”, I’d place this Cardas prototype headphone cable squarely between the midpoint and “hyper-revealing" and, in this case, I find that to be a very good thing. I think it’s maybe the perfect foil for the HD-600’s laid-back presentation -- perfect in that it further opens up the already respectable detail across the frequency spectrum, but with such even-handedness as to keep the wonderful, very musical HD-600 character intact. To my ears, there is absolutely no sense of tonal disjointedness with the Cardas headphone cable prototype. With it installed, my HD-600’s aren’t overly bright, and not overly warm -- they’re so just right, and even more beautifully detailed and musical than before.

I’ve had this prototype for less than a week, so more time is needed to give a full review. I figure I should probably also wait until the full production model is out before I do that.

Stefan AudioArt’s new Equinox cable for the HD-580/600 should be on my desk very soon, and, like at least a few of you, I’m also very anxious to find out how these cables will compare to one another. I can say with confidence that this Cardas cable won’t be easily upstaged.
[/size]

Jan 30, 2002 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 56
Jude said:
Quote:

On a scale with “warm and soothing” on one side and “hyper-revealing/unforgiving on the other”, I’d place this Cardas prototype headphone cable squarely between the midpoint and “hyper-revealing" and, in this case, I find that to be a very good thing.

Hmmm, sounds like the "600" cable I've been waiting for. I've never been a big fan of the Clou.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2002 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
Hmmm, sounds like the "600" cable I've been waiting for.

I'm thinking the same thing, RickG.

I'm definitely looking forward to hearing Stefan AudioArt's Equinox cable too. After hearing it, I have a feeling either the Equinox or the Cardas will be the answer I've been looking for for a long time. I was convinced that that crappy stock cable has been a sort of Achilles heel in my rig, and this Cardas cable has really proven that it was.

Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Can you pass the prototype around once the final product comes out?
biggrin.gif

Audio&Me, the prototypes will likely be back at Cardas HQ soon. You'll have to wait for the final production model to be released. I think you'll find it well worth the wait.

Jan 30, 2002 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 56
May I just express astonishment (or skepticism) here at the fact that the HD580 / 600 population out there is so large that it can support a market for 2, no, 3 brands of after-market proprietary headphone cables...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 30, 2002 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
May I just express astonishment (or skepticism) here at the fact that the HD580 / 600 population out there is so large that it can support a market for 2, no, 3 brands of after-market proprietary headphone cables...

...not to mention that you're talking 6-7 different variations (and hence different cables to plug and unplug into the senns).

Clou blue/red, Cardas, Stefan Equinox/Vision 1...
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2002 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
Why not just start with a Grado?
tongue.gif

acid,

I know how Grado cans sound (except for the HP-1000 ones that I've never heard), and the HD-600's are nothing like any of them (I know you were being tongue-in-cheek
tongue.gif
). Don't get me wrong, I'm a Grado fan too. But the HD-600 is, well, the HD-600.
cool.gif

For the people that dig HD-600's, there's a certain magic -- a certain finesse and respect for micro details, not to mention magical soundstaging abilities. Find a way to improve that and you've got a winner. We've got a winner.

Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs

Quote:

Originally posted by PianoBlack

...not to mention that you're talking 6-7 different variations (and hence different cables to plug and unplug into the senns).

Clou blue/red, Cardas, Stefan Equinox/Vision 1...
wink.gif

You might be surprised....

Searching only through the registered members database (and then only those registered members who've taken the time to fill out their profiles), I found that the HD-600 is one of the most popular headphones in use at Head-Fi. If taken as a single model, the HD-580 and HD-600 together might represent the most popular model, period, together just exceeding all models of Grado combined, among our registered users (just over 300 versus just under 300).

Now keep in mind that not all registered members have filled out their profile information. Keep in mind also that there are still a lot of headphone hi-fi enthusiasts who haven't yet found Head-Fi, and who may never come by (sacrilege!
wink.gif
). Also keep in mind that at this very minute (it varies from minute to minute), 36% of people viewing Head-Fi are guests not registered at Head-Fi, and that the number of unregistered guests viewing the site sometimes exceeds the number of registered members viewing the site.

Interesting, eh? So the HD-580/600 market is probably more lucrative than might be immediately obvious, and represents probably one of the best choices of headphones to make replacement cables for. Admittedly, I don't think all models will succeed, but if I was betting, I wouldn't bet against Cardas -- especially not after using their pre-production prototype.

Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
Any idea on pricing and who will be selling these cables?

lextek, I think these are expected to be priced around $150. Considering how happy I am with the prototype, and considering the very custom nature of such a product, I would be very quick on the trigger at that price.

Jan 30, 2002 at 7:31 PM Post #13 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
Everyone should try to track down an HP 1000. Now that I've had mine for a while it has become my reference which I use to measure all other headphones.

acidtripwow, the Cardas cable will likely be bought by folks who already pretty strongly dig the HD-600's. I've heard a lot of headphones (and will hopefully get the chance to hear HP-1000's some day), but so far only one model of headphone was better to my ears, and that was the big "O" (that's the ~$13,000 Sennheiser Orpheus, for those who might not know). Given that I don't have regular access to the Orpheus, the HD-600's are my current reference.

Getting back on topic:

To answer an earlier question, I don't believe the Cardas cable will be available with a mini plug, but I'll ask. Personally, having to make a choice between a miniplug with adapter or dedicated 1/4" plug, I'd take the latter (I just use the Grado 1/4"-to-mini adapter when I need a miniplug). I find 1/4" plugs more durable (and I wouldn't be suprised if on some miniscule level they measured better).

I'm waiting for more detailed information from George Cardas on the upcoming new 1/4" headphone plug and how it differs from typical 1/4" plugs. I'll let you know what I find out.

Jan 30, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
Considering how happy I am with the prototype, and considering the very custom nature of such a product, I would be very quick on the trigger at that price.

That was my question -- are you going to keep them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back