FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Mar 12, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #1,426 of 1,841
Same with the NE-7M. Good thing there's not a lot to understand, though I it would have been nice to explain in the manual that plugging in headphones turns off the RCA output, that the volume knob controls both the RCA and headphone output, and that turning the volume knob fully off disables the analog outputs and enables the digital output. Not that those facts are difficult to figure out, but stating the obvious is usually what user manuals are for.

"Any country that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers."

Mar 12, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #1,427 of 1,841
The product is nice although it is no miracle as some ppl think.

My problem is the volume pot. It has a nice left side dominance (I like listening to my music on lower volumes and it is quite disturbing).

The workarounds are just ridiculous (using the windows mixer to balance it etc.) and with this problem it is a bit useless. Many of the users wrote to Nuforce but the new products have the same problem, I'm not an electrician but I don't think that a decent volume pot would rise the price so much or it would be so hard to apply to the Udac. I heard/read nice things, bought one but I have to say: I'm disappointed.

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #1,428 of 1,841
Sorry to hear that. Haven't had that problem myself. My first one lost it's right channel early on; infant mortality is fairly common in electronic devices. NuForce sent me a new one right away, with a postage-paid envelope to return the broken one. Second try has worked like a charm since then.

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #1,429 of 1,841
Admittedly I haven't used the uDAC with too many really low impedence headphones/IEM's, but I never notice any volume imbalance on it either. Sorry to hear about that though... it's something I had to deal with my old EF1 and I know how annoying that can be.
redface.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #1,431 of 1,841
I'm running Foobar > Wasapi > uDac at the moment, and I'm just wondering, in the output options, there is an option to 'dither.'

Does anyone use this (for 16bit headphone out?) I've tried reading up on dithering but to be honest it all went a bit over my head.

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #1,432 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by blofsy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The product is nice although it is no miracle as some ppl think.

My problem is the volume pot. It has a nice left side dominance (I like listening to my music on lower volumes and it is quite disturbing).

The workarounds are just ridiculous (using the windows mixer to balance it etc.) and with this problem it is a bit useless. Many of the users wrote to Nuforce but the new products have the same problem, I'm not an electrician but I don't think that a decent volume pot would rise the price so much or it would be so hard to apply to the Udac. I heard/read nice things, bought one but I have to say: I'm disappointed.

My volume pot seems to have less issues than you describe, but it's there to a lesser degree. But I have the same issue with all my $170-$275 iBasso amps, and my Headsix, a Headstage Lyrix, etc... My $400 - $500 RSA portable amps don't have the issue, but they cost 4-5x more. The Meier 3MOVE volume pot is kinda in between.

nevertheless, you might have gotten one more out of spec than others, and I would contact Nuforce and see if they can replace it.

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #1,433 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nevertheless, you might have gotten one more out of spec than others, and I would contact Nuforce and see if they can replace it.

Mine is fine, it seems very hit and miss
redface.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #1,434 of 1,841
I see your point but I think this is defeating the purpose of the device. I would pay a little more ( I can't believe a usable volume pot costs more than ~25$ ) to get rid of the stereo imbalance. Besides I would test the products before selling them.

Anyway I've contacted Nuforce and I'm waiting for their reply. For me this counts as DOA because this channel imbalance is really killing the listening experience using my headphone.

Mar 14, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #1,435 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by blofsy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see your point but I think this is defeating the purpose of the device. I would pay a little more ( I can't believe a usable volume pot costs more than ~25$ ) to get rid of the stereo imbalance. Besides I would test the products before selling them.

Anyway I've contacted Nuforce and I'm waiting for their reply. For me this counts as DOA because this channel imbalance is really killing the listening experience using my headphone.

volume attenuators with perfect channel balance cost a lot, and yes, more than $25

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #1,438 of 1,841
If there's any volume imbalance on my uDAC, I don't notice it. Of course, I haven't listened for it and don't care to. This is with either a 32ohm Grado or a KSC75 (what's its impedance, 62 or 65 or something?) and the volume turned to only 9 o'clock.

@ robjrock: I use dithering. Far as I can tell it does nothing to typical 16-bit playback, but is supposed to help if you've got a 24-bit file getting downsampled to 16 (which the uDAC has to do).

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #1,440 of 1,841
I am impatient too. Some information about availability, guys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back