FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Mar 17, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #1,442 of 1,841
Can anyone testify to the uDAC with Sennheiser HD580/600/650?

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #1,443 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Better than nothing...not bad in a way. But the HD600/650s really deserve a full sized headphone amp.

Cheers

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #1,444 of 1,841
Quote:

hopefully this will help.....for a while my HD600's were fed exclusively by my uDAC. the sound was a big improvement over the standard headphone out, but as you increased the volume, you just got the sense that the uDAC was running out of puff. to the uDAC's credit...the sound never shredded at high volume levels and the unit maintained its composure well above what one would expect for $99.

when i added a LD mkIII however, it was a significant improvement in depth, clarity and overall presence. a good amp really made the 600's come alive and i think whatever difference exists in price is money well spent.

hope this helps....

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #1,445 of 1,841
Ya this is what I see from using an ipod compared to my tube amp with HD580. Its overall presence of the sound which the ipod/onboard sound lacks.

One question for you drandall.. If you connect your Little Dot directly to your pc onboard DAC, what is it like? What difference does the uDAC make? (Using the little dot with both)

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #1,447 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by blofsy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see your point but I think this is defeating the purpose of the device. I would pay a little more ( I can't believe a usable volume pot costs more than ~25$ ) to get rid of the stereo imbalance. Besides I would test the products before selling them.

Anyway I've contacted Nuforce and I'm waiting for their reply. For me this counts as DOA because this channel imbalance is really killing the listening experience using my headphone.

This issue is very subjective and we have published an article to explain what people can expect from such an analog volume control
Nuforce.com | Guides

We can't go around and replace the uDAC whenever someone complains about channel imbalance at low volume. But what we can do is to take the uDAC back and test for it. If we agree, we send you a new uDAC. If we don't, we give you 100% refund.

uDAC is a $99 product and not in the same league as the $449 Icon HDP. We tried to explain in the article that unlike digital volume control, analog volume pot has precision issue at very low volume.

Regardless, customer satisfaction is important. So contact directsales with your help desk ticket ID and someone will make sure it gets resolved.

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #1,448 of 1,841
Quote:

It's adequate for the HD580/600, but not for the HD650 IMO/E.

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #1,450 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This issue is very subjective and we have published an article to explain what people can expect from such an analog volume control
Nuforce.com | Guides

We can't go around and replace the uDAC whenever someone complains about channel imbalance at low volume. But what we can do is to take the uDAC back and test for it. If we agree, we send you a new uDAC. If we don't, we give you 100% refund.

uDAC is a $99 product and not in the same league as the $449 Icon HDP. We tried to explain in the article that unlike digital volume control, analog volume pot has precision issue at very low volume.

Regardless, customer satisfaction is important. So contact directsales with your help desk ticket ID and someone will make sure it gets resolved.

I purchased a uDac a few days ago, and it is in transit. Quick question; how low of a volume are we talking about? If I'm understanding the issue correctly, it should only be a problem with really low impedance (and high sensitivity) headphones where the pot has to be kept near 12 o'clock to avoid wrecking my hearing, correct? I shouldn't see a problem using it with the AKG K701's, for instance?

Thanks for shipping them out so quickly by the way. I was afraid that I'd missed the batch of 2 uDac's that Amazon had advertised as being available, and that I'd have to wait
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #1,451 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I purchased a uDac a few days ago, and it is in transit. Quick question; how low of a volume are we talking about? If I'm understanding the issue correctly, it should only be a problem with really low impedance (and high sensitivity) headphones where the pot has to be kept near 12 o'clock to avoid wrecking my hearing, correct? I shouldn't see a problem using it with the AKG K701's, for instance?

You'd need to crank the uDAC volume up MUCH higher than the affected region to power the K701 sufficiently and loud enough. I'd say it's safe to say that you won't have any issues with the K701 with it, barring any other defects in the product.

Because of all this talk, I tried some of my lower impedence stuff on the uDAC yesterday (RS1, HD238, ESW10JPN) just to listen for any imbalance and I simply don't hear any of it. Got a good one out of the bunch I guess.
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #1,452 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd need to crank the uDAC volume up MUCH higher than the affected region to power the K701 sufficiently and loud enough. I'd say it's safe to say that you won't have any issues with the K701 with it, barring any other defects in the product.

Because of all this talk, I tried some of my lower impedence stuff on the uDAC yesterday (RS1, HD238, ESW10JPN) just to listen for any imbalance and I simply don't hear any of it. Got a good one out of the bunch I guess.
biggrin.gif

Wait, I actually understood a chart for once in my life? Don't tell any math professor I've ever had
biggrin.gif

I bought the uDac as a bedside amp/dac, and it sounds like it should fit the bill nicely. Thanks.

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #1,453 of 1,841
I think I saw somebody mention this earlier, but I'm definitely having an issue where after playing music for a while, the uDAC starts generating a hissing noise. If I unplug and reconnect the USB cable to the back of it, the noise goes away, but eventually comes back. Is my hardware defective? Anything I can do to fix it myself? I love this little guy, and when there's no hissing, the sound is amazing.

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #1,454 of 1,841
For my uDac I have to have the volume so low that the uDac is almost turned off to hear the channel imbalance. Basically left channel goes off and right channel is super quiet. I can't imagine anyone listening that low, and its fine again if I turn it a couple of degrees up so nothing to worry about IMO. No idea if others have it worse but if they're all like this, I dunno what there is to complain about?

Mar 19, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #1,455 of 1,841
Hi there,
Pardon me if i missed out the info i wanted along this thread. i must say this thread is humongous. far too humongous to digest.
I'm pretty interested in purchasing the uDac, but can someone tell me where the uDac draws its power from?

Actually i have a little crazy idea, dunno how crazy it may be. Is it possible for me to use my ipod with this? For example, if i have an LOD terminated with RCA, can i plug it to the RCA jacks on the uDac and plug in my iems from the front of the uDac? sorry if this is a dumb question.

Also, is there anyway i could connect this to an Onkyo ND-S1 Ipod Dock? This would probably be a future purchase, so i must make sure the DAC i buy is compatible with the dock.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back