FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Mar 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #1,456 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicality /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where the uDac draws its power from?

USB.

Quote:

Is it possible for me to use my ipod with this? For example, if i have an LOD terminated with RCA, can i plug it to the RCA jacks on the uDac and plug in my iems from the front of the uDac? sorry if this is a dumb question.

No. The RCA jacks on the uDAC are output while the ones on the LOD are input. You can't use the uDAC as a standalone amp.
Quote:

Also, is there anyway i could connect this to an Onkyo ND-S1 Ipod Dock? This would probably be a future purchase, so i must make sure the DAC i buy is compatible with the dock.

Again, no. The uDAC only has USB input.

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #1,457 of 1,841
Hey everyone, long-time musician and aspiring n00b audiophile here--my neighbor gave me the itch but not the cash to back it up.

Mainly, I've been searching for a way to boost my headphone output and add a more accessible volume knob to my desktop setup. My friend brought down his uDAC and HD600s which obviously blew away my ****ty HD205s. Clearly, my headphones are the limiting factor so I have a two-part question:

1. Will I hear any noticeable improvements with the uDAC even with my 205s?
2. Would any new headphones in the <$100 range (555s?) be worthwhile to get in addition to or instead of the uDAC, or am I too poor to make this work?

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #1,458 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Subby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everyone, long-time musician and aspiring n00b audiophile here--my neighbor gave me the itch but not the cash to back it up.

Mainly, I've been searching for a way to boost my headphone output and add a more accessible volume knob to my desktop setup. My friend brought down his uDAC and HD600s which obviously blew away my ****ty HD205s. Clearly, my headphones are the limiting factor so I have a two-part question:

2. Would any new headphones in the <$100 range (555s?) be worthwhile to get in addition to or instead of the uDAC, or am I too poor to make this work?

From my experience:

If you're still stuck with crappy headphones, pour your cash into headphones. DACs make a difference, but not as much as the headphones. Get a DAC once you've got good headphones. Get an amp once you've got good headphones that need/benefit from amping. Headphones first.

For $99 the uDAC gave me a nice, subtle improvement in detail and extension over my sound card, and a better improvement over onboard. But for $70 the Grado SR60i got me running head-first into the hobby.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #1,460 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Subby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I second what Head Injury said. I've tried the 555's plugged into the uDac, and the improvement is slight. The improvement is much more pronounced on my K701's and DT-770's. The 555's only have so much room to grow, and the uDac has much more power than they need.

This is a great little unit. It feels solid as a rock despite it's diminutive size, and there is plenty of power left using my K701's. It doesn't do as well with them as my HR Micro, but at 1/3 the cost, it's definitely a great little unit. I was even happy with the shipping, which only took two days from Cali to KC (and I chose the cheapest shipping method).

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #1,461 of 1,841
Hmmm... when will the uDAC be in stock? Can't seem to find some available. And also, will the difference be apparent with... wait for it... Senn HD25's? I know these are mid-fi cans but will the improvement be noticeable? I already ordered the LD MKIII and it seems to be overkill, but I might get the uDAC as well in the future. :p

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #1,462 of 1,841
I've never owned a dac before and I can't stand listening to my laptop onboard sound anymore. How does the uDac's sound compare to portable players with similar price like the Fuze or S9? Is it significantly better? Just as good?

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #1,463 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by rymd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never owned a dac before and I can't stand listening to my laptop onboard sound anymore. How does the uDac's sound compare to portable players with similar price like the Fuze or S9? Is it significantly better? Just as good?

The clip is much better. I've never heard a fuze, but I believe they are very similar if not identical in sound to the clip.

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #1,465 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really??? so youre saying the sansa players obliterate the ipod 5.5g???

I don't recall saying anything about the 5.5g ipod. I've never heard one.

I have heard the uDAC and the clip, however, and the clip has much better sound quality, hands down.

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #1,467 of 1,841
Oh boy, here we go...

My Macbook headphone-out is on about the level of the 5.5G iPod video and doesn't totally suck. But to me the uDAC is an improvement in detail, soundstage, power, and overall performance. Both the 5.5G video and uDAC have a similarly smoothed out treble performance via headphone out, and their line out is better with both of them, but that is where the similarities end.

Now, my iMod with Vcap dock will pass up the uDAC, but it keeps up with $400-700 DACs, so...

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #1,468 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard the uDAC and the clip, however, and the clip has much better sound quality, hands down.

Oh boy
ph34r.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #1,469 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh boy
ph34r.gif

Oh boy what?
confused.gif
the uDAC is seriously overrated. It has bloated mid-bass, recessed mids, and thin and grainy highs. For most people, those qualities mean something sounds *bad,* not that it sounds good.

The Clip does not have bloated mid-bass, it has even mid bass. It doesn't have recessed mids, it has even mids. It doesn't have thin and grainy highs, it has even highs. For most people, that means it sounds better.

I guess you could use the EQ to make a Clip/Fuze sound more like a uDAC, which is to say make it sound worse. But otherwise, it has much better, more accurate and more neutral sound. Not sure how you can be serious about audio and not hear that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back