FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Feb 24, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #1,396 of 1,841
If I were to connect uDAC to a new iMac what connection type should I use? IMac has one "Headphone/optical digital audio output (minijack)"
and one "Audio line in/optical digital audio input (minijack)". Should I just use USB?

My speakers (to be connected with uDAC) are Audioengine A2.

Feb 24, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #1,398 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill St. Clair /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The µDAC's only input is USB digital. It has three output choices (one digital, and two analog), but only one input. So you must use USB.

Okey, thanks. I did think about how uDAC would get its power if not connected via USB -- as it is USB-powered.
dt880smile.png

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #1,399 of 1,841
just out of curiosity but does anyone know how the udac is shipped? meaning usps, ups..

finally purchased one of these
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #1,401 of 1,841
oh i was just about to edit my post saying i found out..thanks for even more confirmation :p

im hoping it comes on monday

Feb 26, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #1,402 of 1,841
I think about getting a new toy (DAC and afterwards maybe a new headphone amp too). At the moment I use an aune Mini USB DAC but I wanna go a step forward.

In my mind I have two pictures:
- new DAC (uDAC or Dacmagic or ???) and maybe a new headphone amp (lake people G100 or a similar one)
or
- new DAC and use the aune as a headamp only and buy a new amp in the near future

But the question for me is, is it possible to compare a Nuforce uDAC with a Cambridge DACMagic or is it nonsense because the Cambridge plays in a higher league ? Means the different is great enough and it is recommended to spend the money for a better DAC !? Or do you have other proposals for me ?
And is the new DAC really a big step forward compared to the aune DAC ?

The headphone I use is a Beyer DT880 Ed.2005 (600Ohm).

Thanks

Feb 27, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #1,406 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDuke990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think about getting a new toy (DAC and afterwards maybe a new headphone amp too). At the moment I use an aune Mini USB DAC but I wanna go a step forward.

In my mind I have two pictures:
- new DAC (uDAC or Dacmagic or ???) and maybe a new headphone amp (lake people G100 or a similar one)
or
- new DAC and use the aune as a headamp only and buy a new amp in the near future

But the question for me is, is it possible to compare a Nuforce uDAC with a Cambridge DACMagic or is it nonsense because the Cambridge plays in a higher league ? Means the different is great enough and it is recommended to spend the money for a better DAC !? Or do you have other proposals for me ?
And is the new DAC really a big step forward compared to the aune DAC ?

The headphone I use is a Beyer DT880 Ed.2005 (600Ohm).

Thanks

DACMagic takes a lot of time to burn-in, but in the end it's on a higher level than the uDAC. But it's also a lot more expensive, with a lot more features. I expect the HDP can give the DACMagic a run for the money when driving an amp, even though it lacks a balanced output like the DACMagic, but I don't have one to compare to. The one I heard on three different occasions belongs to wiatrob.

Feb 27, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #1,407 of 1,841
If y'all have some high-end interconnects laying around, give 'em a try with the lil' µDAC. As an experiment I swapped in my Harmonic Technology Magic Link II interconnects from my "bigger rig." Boy does the µDAC love this interconnect!

Ok, at roughly 10X the price of the µDAC, the HT Magic Link II is kinda overkill, but it sure makes this lil' box sing!

Feb 27, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #1,408 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DACMagic takes a lot of time to burn-in, but in the end it's on a higher level than the uDAC. But it's also a lot more expensive, with a lot more features. I expect the HDP can give the DACMagic a run for the money when driving an amp, even though it lacks a balanced output like the DACMagic, but I don't have one to compare to. The one I heard on three different occasions belongs to wiatrob.

Thank you.
I heard that the HDP has a major issue (concerns only the first delivery or design error ?) but I cannot remember what is wrong with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back