FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Jan 13, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #616 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by lh0628 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean that you have problems as well when connecting the uDAC to an amp?

yes, but I have that problem when I connect that amp to any DAC. I also have the same problem with my self-amped speakers. I haven't been able to isolate it. I'm moving in a few months so I'm hoping I'll have better luck in another apartment.

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #617 of 1,841
Amazon posted my review. Sent my order number and review URL to NuForce via their Amazon storefront email form.

Now that I think of it, maybe it wasn't a good idea to use Amazon's feedback mechanism to send my email. Hope it doesn't get you guys in trouble. Must be too early in the morning.

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #618 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great impressions, which pretty much go along with what I have said.

Can you try the uDAC > WA6 > RS-1 with bowls and see if you agree that it's a great match? With flats the RS-1 sound better with the Pico DAC, but the soundstage is better with RS-1 bowls if you have the right DAC like this one.

I tried this combo yesterday, and I did feel that it made the bowls MUCH more bearable for me on the RS1; definitely better than the Pico/WA6 combo with it. Thing is though, that I really don't like the bowl sound on the RS1 overall... I feel that it makes things way too thin and flat for me to the point that if I wanted a such type of listen, I'd rather go with my K701/K271 and get pretty much the same thing (and get better soundstage). I much prefer the RS1 with flats which gives me that in your face mids and visceral bass... I didn't buy the RS1 looking for a flatter/airy presentation anyway. I'm just an all-flats guy with Grados I guess.
tongue.gif

But yes, the uDAC did mate with bowl-RS1 better than the Pico did, giving a better balance.

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #619 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzarg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What type of cables are you using? I found that with one of my desktop amps (Tweak City Audio Gizmo) non-gold-plated RCA cables caused a buzz, but using gold-plated cables got rid of the buzz.

I've tried two sets of RCAs, one is gold plated I think.

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #621 of 1,841
ordered on saturday from amazon and got it today. mailman dropped mine off no more than an hour ago and i've just been playing around with it.

anyone know if there are settings that need to be changed in windows 7? i get sound but am wondering if something needs to be changed to get the best sound. i checked Do Nothing in the sound control panel and then saw that the default format or whatever is set to 16/44.1khz. does this need to be changed to 16/48khz or does that not matter? kinda bummed foobar on my netbook isn't as responsive with a couple seconds or so delay when changing tracks, but i guess i should've known that.

i was able to pick the udac through WASAPI in foobar on my netbook with no problem. i got it working with kernel streaming on my desktop computer. i'm currently testing it with my speakers without any DSPs and just using the tone controls on my amp. no audible differences yet. did a quick test with my hd280's and really can't tell the difference when compared to my netbook's headphone out.

anyways, i love how small it is. i almost wish it was a little larger and/or heavier because my stiff monoprice cables won't let it rest on my desk, haha. i'll write more later when i get a chance to do more testing with my headphones, which aren't exactly great for testing but better than nothing, right?

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #622 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried this combo yesterday, and I did feel that it made the bowls MUCH more bearable for me on the RS1; definitely better than the Pico/WA6 combo with it. Thing is though, that I really don't like the bowl sound on the RS1 overall... I feel that it makes things way too thin and flat for me to the point that if I wanted a such type of listen, I'd rather go with my K701/K271 and get pretty much the same thing (and get better soundstage). I much prefer the RS1 with flats which gives me that in your face mids and visceral bass... I didn't buy the RS1 looking for a flatter/airy presentation anyway. I'm just an all-flats guy with Grados I guess.
tongue.gif

But yes, the uDAC did mate with bowl-RS1 better than the Pico did, giving a better balance.

Okay, now try adding an Amperex Bugle Boy GZ34 to the WA6/uDAC/Bowls combo.
tongue.gif

Or, it's fine to stick with Pico/WA6/flats too, but I had to have the APS v3 cable to make that work for me, as it brought the RS-1 closer to the HP-1000 I had.
beerchug.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #624 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or, it's fine to stick with Pico/WA6/flats too, but I had to have the APS v3 cable to make that work for me, as it brought the RS-1 closer to the HP-1000 I had.
beerchug.gif

Reminds me of what it could have been, as I was just a bit too late on your APS re-cabled RS1 FS ad.
redface.gif
I do admit my configuration right now could use just a bit more highs and resolution. It's still great overall though so I guess I'll just live with it for now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #625 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My only thing to complain is the poor response time to my emails... WHO DO I HAVE TO PESTER TO GET MY FREAKINNN DAAAC... Its been a month and still no dac. jasonl gave me the nuforce email and no one has replied in 3 days

where are you located? Your uDAC must be lost due to international shipping or got stuck at the customs (sometimes the local post office won't tell you).
Please email to directsales@nuforce.com and I will make sure someone act on it.

Things started to fall through the crack during December when we have to make a sudden decision to move to a larger office/warehouse while new staff are being trained. I think we have got back on track now with our support but it is still not where I want it to be.

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #626 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by sohels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jasonl, just out of curiosity - where is this product manufactured?

The chips came from all over the place but the circuit board, chassis and final assembly are made in Taiwan. There is an entire support industries that go with the manufacturing base there.

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #627 of 1,841
Just got my uDac - it's sounds much better than my onboard sound. However, sometimes there's this obnoxious crackling sound and it's really bothering me. It happens even on low volumes. I'm not entirely sure what the problem is and I'm afraid that I have a defective product. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, how can I fix it?

EDIT: I'm using Vista, by the way.

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #628 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where are you located? Your uDAC must be lost due to international shipping or got stuck at the customs (sometimes the local post office won't tell you).
Please email to directsales@nuforce.com and I will make sure someone act on it.

Things started to fall through the crack during December when we have to make a sudden decision to move to a larger office/warehouse while new staff are being trained. I think we have got back on track now with our support but it is still not where I want it to be.

Jasonl,
I already got a response... I'm waiting until Friday Philippine time(which is tomorrow), If it doesnt arrive by then, I'll send another email to have the replacement shipped.

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #629 of 1,841
Ordered a UDac today thanks to this topic! can't wait for it to arrive.

Jan 14, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #630 of 1,841
since this has RCA out and headphone out, can i use my desktop speakers through RCA and my headphones at the same time? like will audio be playing through both of them at the same time?

also, will these be enough for dt880 (250ohm) or will i need something better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back