FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Jan 14, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #631 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by my.self /img/forum/go_quote.gif
since this has RCA out and headphone out, can i use my desktop speakers through RCA and my headphones at the same time? like will audio be playing through both of them at the same time?

No. A plug in the headphone jack cuts off output to the RCA jacks.

Quote:

also, will these be enough for dt880 (250ohm) or will i need something better?

Someone else will have to answer this.

Jan 14, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #632 of 1,841
hmm i see....would i be better off then getting something like a xonar essence stx since it has RCA out and headphone out? i know its like almost double the price but....it would sound better and audio would be coming out of both the speakers and headphones right?

Jan 14, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #633 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by my.self /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm i see....would i be better off then getting something like a xonar essence stx since it has RCA out and headphone out? i know its like almost double the price but....it would sound better and audio would be coming out of both the speakers and headphones right?

I just received the uDac today, it blew my creative X fi sound card out of the water and into the stratosphere. The sound is much clearer and the sound stage expanded quite a bit. I highly doubt the 200$ stx will offer as much performance as the uDac despite being twice as expensive, take that with a grain of salt however, since i do not own a STX.

Currently using it with my AKG k702 and Shanling PH100 amplifier. Like the dilemma you're having, i probably would need a signal splitter so i can use it with my speakers and headphone at the same time.

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #634 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyphir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received the uDac today, it blew my creative X fi sound card out of the water and into the stratosphere.

And its my sincere hope that Jason is about to do exactly what he threatened to do when folk asked him why he would release something which will undoubtedly cannibalize sales of his earlier products: blow everything else NuForce has released (under the Icon product line, at least) out of the water.

Wild, totally speculative *hype*, no question, but I'm counting the days. When someone exceeds expectations at a given price point, your expectations go up a few notches when they raise the price point on their new toy - at least mine do.
biggrin.gif

Bring - it - on.

Jan 14, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #636 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyphir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received the uDac today, it blew my creative X fi sound card out of the water and into the stratosphere. The sound is much clearer and the sound stage expanded quite a bit. I highly doubt the 200$ stx will offer as much performance as the uDac despite being twice as expensive, take that with a grain of salt however, since i do not own a STX.

Currently using it with my AKG k702 and Shanling PH100 amplifier. Like the dilemma you're having, i probably would need a signal splitter so i can use it with my speakers and headphone at the same time.

whats a signal splitter? i never heard of it.

Jan 14, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #637 of 1,841
i guess its like those things i see on laptops one in a while at the library. this adapter thing is connected to the headphone out on the laptop and on the other side are 2 jacks to connect 2 headphones to. im sure theres the same thing for rca as well.

Jan 14, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #638 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And its my sincere hope that Jason is about to do exactly what he threatened to do when folk asked him why he would release something which will undoubtedly cannibalize sales of his earlier products: blow everything else NuForce has released (under the Icon product line, at least) out of the water.

Wild, totally speculative *hype*, no question, but I'm counting the days. When someone exceeds expectations at a given price point, your expectations go up a few notches when they raise the price point on their new toy - at least mine do.
biggrin.gif

Bring - it - on.

We have been following our strategy since 2005! It happened with our high-end amplifier (hey, we actually own several US patents) and other high-end products too. Our $1450 CDP-8 (just released) sounded better than a famous world class reference quality CDP priced at $7000.
It is the philosophy that if you don't kill your own products, someone else will do it for you. It is compete or die mindset.

How do we make the best value for money products? There are several "secrets":

1) Know the entire supplier network well. For example, we heard about a famous volume control cost a lot of money (it is used in some very expensive products that cost thousands of $). So we dig around and found the supplier that makes the critical parts, the volume control pot. And we buy a lot of them! So your $99 uDAC uses some serious high-end parts. This is not easy. You got to KNOW the supplier network and due to potential conflict, most of them will not tell you. So your supplier has to trust you and some of his supplier friends have to trust him etc. There is nothing illegal about what we're doing but supplier usually tries to protect their customer.

2) Keep up to date with technology. Chips companies constantly come up with new stuff. Again, if you have good contacts, you get to see the best stuff before everyone find out. We evaluated several DACs and found out that ESS 9022 Sabre DAC has the best performance for this price range. Hey, ESS Tech's engineers were surprised that we can make their chip sounded so good (uDAC was displayed at their showroom at CES). This is not surprising. There is a lot of know-how involved. You can't just put together the best spec and most expensive parts and expect to have the best sounding product.

3) Don't be greedy. Keep margin low, spread cost amount several products. If we think that a $99 product can't use the same top of the line volume pot as our much more expensive products, then we don't have the buying power to push cost down.

4) Don't hold back. A supplier of our CDP-8 told us something like "the clocking scheme that you are using is over killed, it is only used in very expensive players costly a few times more than your target price. The traditional thinking is that you have to hold back so that you can come up with a more expensive model later. Our approach is different. We have a target list price, our target cost. As long as it is within the cost, go make the damn best product possible. We could have sold uDAC at $149, perhaps with a larger chassis and some extra capacitors to make it look "expensive" and bigger. But $99 would be more affordable and keep it below the magic $100 psychological price point
smily_headphones1.gif
. I am cheap, and I want to be able to carry a good sounding uDAC in my laptop bag. So the decision was easy. I would want to pay $99 (NOT can we get away with selling at $149) so we sell it at $99
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #640 of 1,841
Hello

I just received this DAC and I would like to know which option will result in the best sound quality.

screenshot1no.png

What is the difference between Analog Stereo Output and Digital Stereo Duplex?

Jan 14, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #642 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The chips came from all over the place but the circuit board, chassis and final assembly are made in Taiwan. There is an entire support industries that go with the manufacturing base there.

Thanks. Good to see firms looking beyond mainland China.

Jan 14, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #643 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by EasterDavy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my uDac - it's sounds much better than my onboard sound. However, sometimes there's this obnoxious crackling sound and it's really bothering me. It happens even on low volumes. I'm not entirely sure what the problem is and I'm afraid that I have a defective product. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, how can I fix it?

EDIT: I'm using Vista, by the way.

I had a similar problem with my D2 Boa. In my situation, it was not a deffective product, but it was the fact that my laptop had incredibly noisy USB ports. Whenever I scrolled my mouse wheel, a very audible static would come through the headphones. I really have no idea what I did to fix it.

Jan 14, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #644 of 1,841
Jasonl,

Tweekgeek has a part not listed on your Website, the DAC-9, no picture, no details: Nuforce DAC 9 | 24/192 DAC. Umm... is this a new, upcoming product?

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We have been following our strategy since 2005! It happened with our high-end amplifier (hey, we actually own several US patents) and other high-end products too. Our $1450 CDP-8 (just released) sounded better than a famous world class reference quality CDP priced at $7000.
It is the philosophy that if you don't kill your own products, someone else will do it for you. It is compete or die mindset.

How do we make the best value for money products? There are several "secrets":

1) Know the entire supplier network well. For example, we heard about a famous volume control cost a lot of money (it is used in some very expensive products that cost thousands of $). So we dig around and found the supplier that makes the critical parts, the volume control pot. And we buy a lot of them! So your $99 uDAC uses some serious high-end parts. This is not easy. You got to KNOW the supplier network and due to potential conflict, most of them will not tell you. So your supplier has to trust you and some of his supplier friends have to trust him etc. There is nothing illegal about what we're doing but supplier usually tries to protect their customer.

2) Keep up to date with technology. Chips companies constantly come up with new stuff. Again, if you have good contacts, you get to see the best stuff before everyone find out. We evaluated several DACs and found out that ESS 9022 Sabre DAC has the best performance for this price range. Hey, ESS Tech's engineers were surprised that we can make their chip sounded so good (uDAC was displayed at their showroom at CES). This is not surprising. There is a lot of know-how involved. You can't just put together the best spec and most expensive parts and expect to have the best sounding product.

3) Don't be greedy. Keep margin low, spread cost amount several products. If we think that a $99 product can't use the same top of the line volume pot as our much more expensive products, then we don't have the buying power to push cost down.

4) Don't hold back. A supplier of our CDP-8 told us something like "the clocking scheme that you are using is over killed, it is only used in very expensive players costly a few times more than your target price. The traditional thinking is that you have to hold back so that you can come up with a more expensive model later. Our approach is different. We have a target list price, our target cost. As long as it is within the cost, go make the damn best product possible. We could have sold uDAC at $149, perhaps with a larger chassis and some extra capacitors to make it look "expensive" and bigger. But $99 would be more affordable and keep it below the magic $100 psychological price point
smily_headphones1.gif
. I am cheap, and I want to be able to carry a good sounding uDAC in my laptop bag. So the decision was easy. I would want to pay $99 (NOT can we get away with selling at $149) so we sell it at $99
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #645 of 1,841
Alrighty, just got it this morning, but had to head off to work. I'll post up some pics tonight! i got to listen to it for about 5 minutes, and the first thing that I was looking for was any audible hiss....and there was none (at normal hearing levels, not ear-damaging levels)! So this was really good news. Beatles remastered (Here Comes the Sun) sounded very clear, detailed, and punchy, and I noticed that the soundstage for my rock/pop music is even more incredible (AD-700 headphones).

Will post more thoughts as I listen to it more!

Regarding the build quality - while the unit seemed pretty solid, I noticed that my volume knob is a bit tilted. Only ever so slightly, but I can feel it scratching the unit when I turn the knob. I'll be contacting NuForce regarding that...

More later!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back