FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Jan 12, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #601 of 1,841
Alrighty...I decided not to wait any longer. Made a purchase =)

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #602 of 1,841
I'm waiting for mine to arrive hopefully tomorrow.

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #603 of 1,841
Pulled the trigger last Friday- received the uDAC on Monday! Very quick turnaround. Not much experience with dacs/amps however it does sound significantly better than the on-board computer audio. Great mids and much smoother treble through my M50s. Adds significant depth to the soundstage. Big jump in performance feeding my SI T-amp driving Insignia 6.5" speakers!

Jan 13, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #604 of 1,841
I asked this over here;
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...-sound-466010/
In a thread about Beyer's, but I thought this would be a good place to ask too.

I've been listening to HD580s on my new uDac, and I like the sound very much. I am, however, interested in trying another headphone maker, and I like what I've heard described about the Beyer family. I think I'm going to try a pair of DT770s (while wishing I was buying these; http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...00-ohm-454945/)

So, assuming I'm getting the DT770s, which version am I going to get a better response from the uDac with; 80ohm or 250ohm?

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #605 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by eneloquent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked this over here;

I've been listening to HD580s on my new uDac, and I like the sound very much. I am, however, interested in trying another headphone maker, and I like what I've heard described about the Beyer family. I think I'm going to try a pair of DT770s (while wishing I was buying these; http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...00-ohm-454945/)

So, assuming I'm getting the DT770s, which version am I going to get a better response from the uDac with; 80ohm or 250ohm?

I would really not go for the 600ohm beyer's with this little amp/dac. I've tried it on mine and it is no where near to powering them. Or...get the 600 ohm beyers and use your uDac as a DAC only and get a desktop amp...(sorry to put the upgraditis bug in your ear!). Otherwise, go for the 80ohm version.

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #606 of 1,841
So I've been switching between the uDAC amp and running it RCA out to my RSA Hornet amp and found the following:

1.) The amp portion of the uDAC is actually quite nice and tends to be on the warm side.
2.) I still prefer the amp on my RSA Hornet. The soundstage really improved with it over the uDAC amping my IE8s.

Oh, and setting my sound settings to "Do Nothing" on my Windows 7 PC seemed to get rid of the small crackling sound that I was hearing.

Just some more thoughts...

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #608 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by eneloquent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked this over here;

I'm not familiar enough with Beyer headphones to help you, but I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #610 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by prozach1576 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a shipping notice just a couple hours after my order...impressive. It says the carrier is USPS...is it Priority Mail?

Yes, the shipping is priority mail. I'm expecting mine in a day or two.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #611 of 1,841
Has anyone tried to connect the uDAC's RCA out to an amp? I have mine hooked up and I'm getting pretty bad hum/noise.

It doesn't do this when I use optical out to a receiver then the amp.

I'm suspecting it's USB noise from my computer, but does anybody else have a similar experience?

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #612 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by lh0628 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried to connect the uDAC's RCA out to an amp? I have mine hooked up and I'm getting pretty bad hum/noise.

It doesn't do this when I use optical out to a receiver then the amp.

I'm suspecting it's USB noise from my computer, but does anybody else have a similar experience?

Yes, I have noise problems with my audio equipment as well, independent of it being optical or USB. Try cheater plugs, try moving components farther away from each other. My uDac though is clean as a whistle. No problems with noise, unless I hook up my amp, which I why I keep the laptop and amp far apart when I do.

There's no easy answer, sorry.

Jan 13, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #613 of 1,841
So you know what I'm talking about then eh
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you mean that you have problems as well when connecting the uDAC to an amp?

When I hook the uDAC up with my receiver, everything sounds fine, also the headphone out is very quiet as well. Only when I connect the uDAC to my amp, the hums becomes really bad.

That's why I'm not sure if it's my amp or my computer. I really want to avoid using cheater plugs and fix the problem itself.

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #614 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by lh0628 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you know what I'm talking about then eh
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you mean that you have problems as well when connecting the uDAC to an amp?

When I hook the uDAC up with my receiver, everything sounds fine, also the headphone out is very quiet as well. Only when I connect the uDAC to my amp, the hums becomes really bad.

That's why I'm not sure if it's my amp or my computer. I really want to avoid using cheater plugs and fix the problem itself.

What type of cables are you using? I found that with one of my desktop amps (Tweak City Audio Gizmo) non-gold-plated RCA cables caused a buzz, but using gold-plated cables got rid of the buzz.

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #615 of 1,841
This may be a stupid question, but then again there aren't supposed to BE any stupid questions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Will the uDAC influence my gaming experience? I mean, will I bump into anything when playing games on my pc with sound coming through the uDAC? Or will it just be an improvement over my current soundcard? I ask this because when I used the Tascam US122L as a DAC, during gameplay I got all these short dropouts/hiccups. I tried the latest drivers but I think it's because I use Windows 7. Switching back to my onboard audio fixed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back