FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Jan 11, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #571 of 1,841
what kind of quality are the files that you are using? I get those once in a while when I use some revealing earphones with not so good files

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #573 of 1,841
well try unplugging then plugging it back into the computer. if it still does it try a different computer if you have access to another one.

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #574 of 1,841
I have the same issue alex.

in the sound options for windows, go to the communications tab and select "do nothing". It's helped someone but not me.

currently waiting for a replacement. let me know if it's fixable (and Nuforce too, they don't seem to know what it's about either.)

Jan 11, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #575 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexDorman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I've had mine for a few weeks now and I'm starting to notice something a pop or crackle coming in my music :/ I've tested my PCs onboard sounds and I don't get the pops.

What's your operating system?
Is the uDAC plugged into an USB hub or directly into the computer?
What player are you using?
What sound API are you using? (Windows: WASAPI, ASIO, Direct Sound, Kernel Streaming...)

We need more info x_x

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #576 of 1,841
My uDAC arrived! Sounds incredible, though I can't compare, since I've never owned another DAC. Photos here . Here's the one that makes crystal clear how tiny it is:

09-connected-rear-600x533.jpg

Jan 11, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #577 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by bearmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your operating system?
Is the uDAC plugged into an USB hub or directly into the computer?
What player are you using?
What sound API are you using? (Windows: WASAPI, ASIO, Direct Sound, Kernel Streaming...)

We need more info x_x

Windows 7 x64, directly into the computer, foobar, default audio driver.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #578 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uDAC has a slight warm tint, while I thought my Pico DAC only is a little more neutral.

See above

Hi Larry. Nice review (again) and does this lil' bugger justice. Just got mine this a.m. and been listening for several hours (working too, really
wink_face.gif
). Here's my two cents on balance and resolution.

As background, I've recently been over to my buddy's place a few times listening to his $100K + system in his Rives Audio designed and dedicated media room. Yes, it's nice!

After that experience I'm actually surprised at how much better balanced this lil' DAC sounds than the PICO! When paired with the Sonett, I'd have to give the edge to the uDAC in overall presentation! This is a surprisingly great sounding DAC! (Ok guys, just calm down.) From a listening point of view (less analytical), yes, it's easily on par with the PICO (Amp/DAC). Beyond that, at least to these ears, it's the more musical of the two. (What the heck does that mean?) To me, the mids are more in keeping with my buddy's "big rig" exhibiting more support in the lower midrange and mid-bass, evident on vocals and bass (electric or stringed). Nice! I think that coincides with your "warm" comment. I just wonder if it's really less neutral. It might be a tad rolled off in the most upper regions but, not much, if at all. Maybe a bit more 2D but, again, not much (could be my imagination). For the $99, it's a sweet lil' thing that you can just have fun with! And it's a good way to step into separates.

For example, on the Opus CD Gitarr-Kvartetten, Transkriptioner (sorry for those that don't have this one! but, it's out of print right now), the guitars can sound thin and bodiless on the PICO. Enter the uDAC, and the sounds are more rounded, full bodied. Just my two cents.

Resolution is on par with the PICO.

This one's about kicking back and enjoying the music! No worries, just a lot O' fun!

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #579 of 1,841
Question: Can I use this to connect to a desktop stereo using the RCA outputs and use the headphone out to my Headroom Micro Amp (2006)?

The Headroom amp only has a single mini plug line in and the desktop stereo only has RCA inputs.

Alternatively, should I use some sort of RCA to mini plug cable for the amp or just use a mini - mini interconnect to the amp and run it out of the HP out?

Or should I just look for another amp?

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #580 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by RASeymour /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question: Can I use this to connect to a desktop stereo using the RCA outputs and use the headphone out to my Headroom Micro Amp (2006)?

Should work, but the RCA outputs are only driven from the uDAC when its headphone out is unplugged.

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #581 of 1,841
Yes, I'll need to unplug the hp out when using the stereo. My main use would be with the Micro amp, with the stereo being for when my ears get tired
confused_face.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #583 of 1,841
Added the K271 MKII to my collection today for my closed headphone use (for my secondary rig to use with uDAC), and they're doing excellently off the uDAC... K271 sounds absolutely unlistenable through my WA6/Pico rig as it gets too bright and stale, while slightly warm, wide and dynamic uDAC is an EXCELLENT match. I think it's safe to say at this point that this is a very good combo to go with many of the AKG headphones, and other bright, yet dry headphones in general...

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #584 of 1,841
Unfortunately, my uDAC would not work with my Linux system which uses Gnome for music. All of my other DACs work fine. I continued to receive error messages and no music. Most of the time it would lock up the computer, necessitating a rebook. I did manage somehow to get it to perform once, but that was it. Strange!!

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #585 of 1,841
which linux? thats a bit troublesome since thats what i use as well. also what player did you use?
thats a bit strange since the icon mobile worked fine off usb for ubuntu when i had that so you would think it would work again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back