FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Dec 31, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #361 of 1,841
Received my uDAC yesterday. I bought it due to the glowing comments in this thread, especially those of Headphone Addict, as I will be using it eventually in an EF5/HE-5 system. Last night I ran it off of my Acer Aspire One into the Zana Deux and then to the HE-5's and I must say I am impressed. Warm and wonderful sound, yet plenty of detail to keep me happy. I did notice what others are mentioning though - it does appear able to overdrive the Zana's inputs so it took a few minutes to find the correct volume setting on the uDAC.

This morning I tried the built in amp with my ESW9's and again, I am duly impressed. I think I now have a new work desktop rig with this combo.

Those of you contemplating a uDAC, go for it. I do not think you will regret the purchase.

A_Sr.

Dec 31, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #362 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats weird that it distorts going in amps like little dots. My valab and standard 2volt cd player doesnt do that going in my mk2 even though they are both 2 volt rca outs. Hmm oh no... The uDac could have an active gain stage if it does that then... Can Jasonl reply to this post if I'm wrong with the active line out?

So doesn't that in a way negate the point of analog RCA? It's still going through the internal amp if you can control the volume level, correct?

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #363 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackwheel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So doesn't that in a way negate the point of analog RCA? It's still going through the internal amp if you can control the volume level, correct?

The RCA out is NOT amplified and does not go through a gain stage or anything, but is only attenuated from the output of the ESS chip by the volume knob. The 1/8" out is amplified, but not the RCA.

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #364 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by leothan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@charpi I think I got the same problem with u ,my sound totally messed up when I use the udac in Snow Leopard ,the treble and bass is cracking ,I am using COG to play Lossless file .
However when I change to Win 7 ,the problem is gone .Dont know what wrong with Macos ,anw what player u use to play the lossless file ?

I had the same problem. The issue lies with Cog.

The application adds in artificial software "amplification" when you turn the volume over ~75% or so. As you drag the volume along the slider there should be a point around 3/4 of the way through where it kind of sticks, and that's the loudest you can set it without the amplification kicking in.

Once I set the volume below 75% on Cog I the sound coming out of my UDAC has been great.

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #365 of 1,841
I have finally had some time to sit down with this little wonder and can easily say that I am thoroughly impressed. Larry you absolutely called it right again on your review!

I have had three great surprises so far:

1.) Just how tiny it is.
2.) Just how big it sounds. Honestly the DAC portion rivals my Cambridge DacMagic, but at 1/20th the size and 1/5 the cost. The amp portion is surprisingly powerful. I was expecting it to be only as powerful as the Icon Mobile, but I can get my HD650s to much higher volumes with not sounding thin at all.
3.) The price...I almost feel guilty on only paying $100.

Hat's off to NuForce...a great Engineering and Supply Chain achievement for sure. First to the design engineers (I kinda have to do this first as I'm an engineer myself) on the design and making this little thing sing the way it does. And second to Procurement for getting such high end components at the prices you did to make this unit so darn affordable!

All I can say is that you have one very happy customer!

As Absorbine_Sr put it, just "go for it".

Happy New Year to everybody!

Dec 31, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #366 of 1,841
Maybe I missed this in the thread, but I just realized that a pretty good quality USB cable was included too....

One of these will run you about $15 at the local electronics shop. Again, if you are thinking about this, don't waste any more time and just go for it!

Dec 31, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #367 of 1,841
I am very satisfied with mine driving MS1's and Triple fi 10's. Not listening to the Headfive as much.

Dec 31, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #368 of 1,841
I have never owned a dac before and after reading the glowing reviews I was thinking this might have to be my first. I have a couple questions regarding what I could use with it. I currently have a x-fi xtrememusic connected to a z5500( i bought it a few years a go for gaming). Could i connect the udac out from the coax to the z5500 for speakers too? I know I can use it with my netbbok and laptop. Also can this be hooked up to my appletv thru the usb? I've heard people say the dac isn't very good for the appletv. Would I hear a noticeable different? Thanks for the great review Headphone Addict and thanks for any input guys.

Dec 31, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #369 of 1,841
well im sold..gonna get myself one shortly after the new year
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #370 of 1,841
I'm still amazed by how much the uDAC improves the sound over my laptop's hp out - even through my cheap $3 buds! The difference in clarity, detail and soundstage is very apparent! You wouldn't be able to tell that these buds are dirt cheap when using the uDAC.

EDIT: Come to think of it, maybe it's the case that my laptop's hp out is just very low quality that is the reason why the uDAC sounds so much better even through the cheapie-budz.

Jan 1, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #371 of 1,841
The total cost for audio in your laptop is about $2 (no really $2), so the uDac would be a huge upgrade (especially with the Sabre DAC).

Jan 1, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #372 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by ikillgiants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the same problem. The issue lies with Cog.

The application adds in artificial software "amplification" when you turn the volume over ~75% or so. As you drag the volume along the slider there should be a point around 3/4 of the way through where it kind of sticks, and that's the loudest you can set it without the amplification kicking in.

Once I set the volume below 75% on Cog I the sound coming out of my UDAC has been great.

Thank ,I just tried the Cog with the volume set below 70% ,it work great
anw this small dac is awasome ,it feeds my 337 with the clearest source that I ever have
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back