Jan 1, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #377 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Five seconds with Google:

Cog

Forgive me...
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, quick question. Is it better to connect this to an amp through
RCA to 3.5mm or RCA to 1/4 inch plug, is one preferable over the other. Any difference in sound quality?

Jan 1, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #379 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackwheel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgive me...
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, quick question. Is it better to connect this to an amp through
RCA to 3.5mm or RCA to 1/4 inch plug, is one preferable over the other. Any difference in sound quality?

Quote:

Originally Posted by leothan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3.5mm or 1/4 ,I think they are the same in term of sound quality if I am not wrong
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RCA out is NOT amplified and does not go through a gain stage or anything, but is only attenuated from the output of the ESS chip by the volume knob. The 1/8" out is amplified, but not the RCA.

smile.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #380 of 1,841
Hi head-fi, this is my first post here.
redface.gif
I have picked up a udac (mine arrived dec 26th) because of this thread. I was looking for something better than turtle beach usb dac to hookup to my mbp. Happy I found this thread. The great review and killer price had me at the amazon checkout within minutes.
My udac arrived right before I took off overseas (for at least a year).
atsmile.gif
I need to say the nuforce guys came through for me on shipping and handling time. Thanks guys.

Well, I've been enjoying my udac tremendously these few days through hp out with my triple.fi 10. I don't need to turn the knob past 9-10 o'clock for loud listening. I'd love to get some nice cans one day for a better @home listening experience.

Jan 1, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #383 of 1,841
Quote:

???

Different questions.
L3000.gif

He means - why plug an amp into the 1/8" when you would be double amplifying the signal, when you can go strait from the DAC chip to your amp without extra circuits between them?

Jan 1, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #384 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He means - why plug an amp into the 1/8" when you would be double amplifying the signal, when you can go strait from the DAC chip to your amp without extra circuits between them?

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I wasn't clear/detailed enough with my question. I'm referring to the RCA out of the uDac in both instances. However, I'm going to be picking up an amp on ebay, and I have the option of getting the same amp with a 3.5 or 6.5mm input. I was unsure as to whether or not one connector might sound better than the other. I guess there is no difference though.

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #385 of 1,841
Quote:

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I wasn't clear/detailed enough with my question. I'm referring to the RCA out of the uDac in both instances. However, I'm going to be picking up an amp on ebay, and I have the option of getting the same amp with a 3.5 or 6.5mm input. I was unsure as to whether or not one connector might sound better than the other. I guess there is no difference though.

I can't help there. I actually have a high-end 1/4" to dual RCA cable that would work in a situation like that, and the 1/4" connectors may be a higher quality but I can't say it will make a big difference in the sound. Most commonly amps use 1/8" (or 3.5mm) input or RCA, not 1/4" (or 6.5mm).

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #386 of 1,841
I am still amazed with the uDac 48 hours into it. I think I actually prefer it with my K701s when it's paired (RCA out) with my RSA Hornet (on high gain setting) to my DacMagic and MAD Ear+HD tube amp.

Very impressive and revealing DAC. Next up, my IEMs.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #388 of 1,841
It's actually quite good, just not as full and controlled as the RSA Hornet. I was surprised to confirm that my HD650s/K701s sounded pretty good through the HF jack of the uDac...much better than my previously owned Icon Mobile (I was expecting that they would be very similar...thin with these two cans).

It is very good though with my RS1s/D7000s.

But the Hornet is a better amp as far as I can tell so far and since it's right here next to me, I'm using it.

From a DAC perspective, it's pretty close to my Cambridge Audio DacMagic (not as revealing), but at 1/5th the cost, quite the performance.

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #390 of 1,841
anyone try different usb cable and different length of the cable ? are there any different in term of sound quality ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back