FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Jul 4, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #1,741 of 1,841

Quote:
Got my uDac a couple of days ago. Since I haven't gotten my new headphones (D2000) I just tried em out with some old Philips headphones Ive got lying around, not high quailty ones by no means. But I was under the impression that IF things work as they should the uDac should be absolutely quiet even though I turn the volume to max on it? When I have it turned more then 2 a clock I get this whitenoise kind of sound. That is with the headphones connected to the headphone out on the uDac and with the USB from the computer to the uDac.

If I connect the headphones directly into my SB extreme music soundcard and turn the colume in Win7 up to max I dont get any noise at all. 

I apologise in advance If I've missed something obvious here. Im real new to all of this and the D2000 will be my first good set of headphones :)

[size=medium]
With my Macbook Pro I can turn the uDAC to max volume with my very sensitive JH13Pro and the music paused and it's silent.  I don't know where your noise is coming from, sorry.  I don't have enough experience with Windows.
[/size]

Jul 7, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #1,742 of 1,841
My uDAC keeps on cutting out a few minutes into, let's say an avi file. I've unplugged it and it works, but again, only for a few minutes before the audio cuts out. I've removed the driver and reinstalled it, to no avail, any tips?

Brendan

Jul 7, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #1,743 of 1,841

Quote:
My uDAC keeps on cutting out a few minutes into, let's say an avi file. I've unplugged it and it works, but again, only for a few minutes before the audio cuts out. I've removed the driver and reinstalled it, to no avail, any tips?

Brendan

Are you sure it's not your player software or your hdd stuttering, or maybe your usb hub cutting out?

Jul 7, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #1,744 of 1,841
Is this setup optimal?

Foobar (@max volume) ----usb---->uDAC (@max volume)--------RCA------->desktop amp------->headphones?

Or shall I balance it out and set the uDAC at 50%volume and the desktop amp at 50%?

Jul 7, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #1,745 of 1,841
Jul 8, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #1,749 of 1,841
I can play video files on my computer (avi or mkv containers) through the udac feeding an amp and then headphones without any issues.  May want to check that your codecs are playing nice with each other on your computer. 

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #1,750 of 1,841
Just tried the uDac as a usb-s/pdif converter for the first time. On first listen I'm pretty sure it beats the optical out of my Mac.

Jul 10, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #1,751 of 1,841
Apologies if this has been previously posted (can't exactly read all 117 pages) but in Vista/Win 7 I've noticed this makes a huge improvement in sound quality:

1. Go to "Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers" or in Win7 "Devices and Printers"
2. Right click on the "USB Audio" icon
3. Select "Sound Settings"
4. Select the "Enhancements" Tab.
5. Select "Disable all Enhancements" 

:)

Jul 15, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #1,752 of 1,841

Hello Everybody, I thought this would be a good opportunity to introduce myself...

I placed an order for a uDac a couple of nights ago after reading through HeadphoneAddict's excellent review, and all the useful posts that followed. I was led to this site through a passing interest in head-phones/hi-fi, got sucked in by the wealth of information, and so spent just about every evening for the last few weeks digesting. It would appear I've been bitten!

As an introduction to this apparently potentially very expensive interest, the uDac looks to me to be a very good starting place. My current headphone inventory consists of the Sennheiser HD25-1 II, Westone UM1 and audio-technica ATH-OR7 (a seemingly uncommon outside Japan, portable closed headphone). I'm looking forward to seeing how the uDac pairs with my modest inventory - particularly the HD25, which are my favourite - and to see what improvement it offers over the headphone out of my PC's on-board sound.

I've ordered the uDac from the NuForce Icon Europe e-store, so hopefully it won't take too long to arrive (I'm willing it's arrival with eager anticipation!). I shall post my impressions as soon as it's in my grasp and I've had a listen.

Best,

John.

Jul 17, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #1,755 of 1,841

Quote:
I missed the part about feeding the computer into a receiver's RCA inputs, and I only focused on the headphone amp questions. Sorry.  I agree, the uDAC's RCA output jacks are very good, and I would say they are more detailed and spacious than the headphone amp so it makes a good source to feed into another amp.  

It comes close to the Pico DAC-only in quality, with a very slight nudge in the direction of being slightly more forward and warmer than the Pico DAC-only RCA out.  The uDAC is a very good bargain as a USB DAC > RCA out; and as in another post above I find that the S/PDIF output is pretty good too.  Having a nice warm intimate sounding headphone amp in addition to all that is just icing on the cake.  I have a hard time thinking of a better way to spend $99 if you use your computer as a source for listening to music.

Question for you Addict, I'm pretty much a noob to this whole headphone thing. My first foray into getting more serious about using head phones was buying some Grado SR60's  back in January. My source (desktop PC) headphone out pretty much just didnt cut it. So after first starting out thinking I wanted an amp, I discovered that what I probably really needed was a DAC. So after reading this thread back in March I added the uDAC. Now I'm thinking I want an amp too even  though  Grado's supposedly dont need amping, at least the 60's.

Anyway to the question. Can you tell me what sort of subtleties pairing say the ef2 to the uDAC will do to my 60's. I also want to upgrade to the 225's at some point but the timing of that really depends on if you think adding a hybrid tube amp like the ef2 will add any flavor to my musical stew as it is now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back