FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Jun 27, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #1,726 of 1,841
It'll be interesting for sure. I've read a post that the HDP as a DAC is better than Pico DAC in every way and I've been reading that the uDAC is comparable to the Pico. I'm not sure if I'll be able to pick out the differences with my Grado RS1 as they're not extremely detailed but I'll see when the HDP comes back to me on Friday.

Jun 27, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #1,727 of 1,841

Quote:
It'll be interesting for sure. I've read a post that the HDP as a DAC is better than Pico DAC in every way and I've been reading that the uDAC is comparable to the Pico. I'm not sure if I'll be able to pick out the differences with my Grado RS1 as they're not extremely detailed but I'll see when the HDP comes back to me on Friday.

That was me, but with a clarification - that would be comparing the uDAC RCA out to the Pico DAC-only RCA out, and I did note the small or minor differences in sound in my review.  

I think the HDP DAC is slightly more resolving and spacious sounding than those other two with my 24/96 lossless music files, and posted that in my HDP review.  I'd have to read my reviews again to see what I wrote about the comparison when using 16/44 files, because I don't recall off the top of my head; but I suspect the gap would be narrower.  Interestingly, IIRC all three of these DACs do jitter reduction in some way or another.

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #1,728 of 1,841

Quote:
Hi

I've read quite alot about the uDac but i haven't seen anything regarding uDac+ie8. Some are saying that it increases warmth to their phones and some that it gives more control to bass department (tho those arent exclusive). probably its about the synergy between 2 devices.

So basically im interested in the synergy of uDacs amp section and the Senns ie8.

I would be getting the uDac to bypass the onboard sound and listening with my ie8 (and occasionally hd555).
Also i would feed the signal to my (old) stereo amp via rca output on the uDac. (viable solution? im a newbie
blink.gif
)

I'd appreciate if someone could share their impressions 
ksc75smile.gif

I previously owned the IE8 and tested it with the uDAC's HP out, and it's a great match. No hiss at all, I was impressed. To my ears they made the IE8 sound wider and the bass tightened up a bit.

Jul 2, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #1,730 of 1,841

Quote:
is it possible to hook the udac to the mixamp for ps3? would that setup be good?

No, I think the PS3's only digital audio output is optical/toslink, and you need USB digital audio for the uDac.

Jul 2, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #1,731 of 1,841

Quote:
is it possible to hook the udac to the mixamp for ps3? would that setup be good?

Like Grokit said, it's not possible. If you want a DAC that will work with the PS3, you need one that takes in digital input. I would recommend you the Musiland 02 US or 01 US since it takes optical input.

Jul 3, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #1,732 of 1,841
Got my uDac a couple of days ago. Since I haven't gotten my new headphones (D2000) I just tried em out with some old Philips headphones Ive got lying around, not high quailty ones by no means. But I was under the impression that IF things work as they should the uDac should be absolutely quiet even though I turn the volume to max on it? When I have it turned more then 2 a clock I get this whitenoise kind of sound. That is with the headphones connected to the headphone out on the uDac and with the USB from the computer to the uDac.

If I connect the headphones directly into my SB extreme music soundcard and turn the colume in Win7 up to max I dont get any noise at all. 

I apologise in advance If I've missed something obvious here. Im real new to all of this and the D2000 will be my first good set of headphones :)

Jul 3, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #1,733 of 1,841
It could be Windows related; there can be latency in the audio throughput, causing distortion. Do you have any software installed to bypass the OS bottlenecks, like Fubar2000? I use Windows via optical to avoid those issues, but that's not possible with the uDac. Usually I am on a Mac, which avoids those problems with its Core Audio technology.

Jul 3, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #1,735 of 1,841
I will try to remember to bring the uDac to work tomorrow to try with another computer. But yea I do have Foobar 2000 but when I press pause when listening to a song and turn the volume on uDac up further I get the noise. I tried using KS with it yesterday but songs just wouldnt play with that and Id get an errormsg. Probably did something wrong :p Will look into ASIO or WASAPI when I get home from work and see if its any different

cyberspyder: Im pretty sure I had all other devices disabled. But will doublecheck when I get home also.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

Jul 3, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #1,736 of 1,841
Hello all, I am a new member to this site but have watched it for a while.  Reading the forums got my interest up and and I have bought several IEMs and a uDac.  My experience with the uDac was that when I got it I hooked it up to my hp laptop, the one where I keep my music (mostly flac).  I was not happy, there was noise like static or like you get from a dirty lp.  I know, some of you may not remember lps (ha, ha) I sent the unit back and nuforce sent it right back (very good and quick service, thanks nuforce
smile.gif
).  When I got it back I had the same problem.  I have tried it with 3 other computers and it works fine.  My problem seems to be a noisy usb. Do not assume that the uDac or other usb dac is the problem, the usb can be the problem. I find the sound of the uDac to be very good and am very pleased with it when used with a clean source
L3000.gif

Jul 3, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #1,737 of 1,841
I just hooked up the uDac to my iPad via the camera connection kit; it sounds clean as a whistle through my e-Q7s.

Jul 3, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #1,738 of 1,841
This little gizmo has been reported to solve dirty USB problems, YMMV:

http://electronics-shop.dk/isolated_usb_hub.htm?currency=USD

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #1,739 of 1,841
What grokit says is probably true.  With 3 of the 4 computers I have tried it with it is very clean.  I get the same noise on all three music players I have tried and I get the same noise playing a cd on the hp.  I am sure that there is a limit to how much improvement the uDac can handle.  My hp is just too much.  Don't get me wrong, I think the uDac is great.  I doubt any usb dac will work with this laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back