FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce NE-700X earphones / IEM (non-mic version) - post your thoughts here
Dec 20, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #31 of 235
We discovered that the production NE-700M is a little more smooth sounding that the pilot production version (we sold only a few pairs without packaging for trial at low price).
Therefore anyone who bought the pilot production version can contact our directsales email to trade-in to the NE-700M at ($55 intro price - pilot trial price).

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #34 of 235
I have one last question before I decide on these or not. How is the housing of the NE-700X. I've had some issues with larger housings so if it's large it wouldn't fit me very well. The biggest diameter I would want is roughly the size of the Brainwavz M2. Is the diameter of the NE-700X around that size?

Dec 21, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #35 of 235

Quote:
Hi Larry,

Thanks for your impressions.

Do you have any idea how the NE-700X compares to the RE-0?  I've got RE-0 now, and some days I love their detail and other days I think they're too thin sounding.  I want a pair of affordable universal IEMs to wear on a plane trip to Hawaii in February.  Speaking of that, how do you think the airplane noise isolation would be on the NE-700X?

Thanks,

Harley.

I dont have an RE-0 to compare to.  I think the isolation would be enough for flying.

Dec 21, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #36 of 235

Quote:
I have one last question before I decide on these or not. How is the housing of the NE-700X. I've had some issues with larger housings so if it's large it wouldn't fit me very well. The biggest diameter I would want is roughly the size of the Brainwavz M2. Is the diameter of the NE-700X around that size?

The housing is smaller than my Triple.fi 10 Pro, but my M2 are out on loan.

Dec 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #37 of 235

Quote:
It is available now.

Thanks for the very comprehensive review Larry!

I ordered mine today. I, like Larry, do enjoy the NE-8s when the fit is right...but find over time I have to keep pushing them in to get the bass response I want. The sound stage of the NE-8s was as good as the way more expensive IE8s IMO. I'm looking forward to giving the NE-700X's a whirl and for $55, I won't have to worry about losing them when I travel.

My "no more gear in 2010" moratorium should still hold up as I don't expect to get them until after January 1st...and since I used VISA, I won't be billed for 30 days. Now 2011, all bets are off.
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #38 of 235

Quote:
Quote:
It is available now.

I ordered mine today. I, like Larry, do enjoy the NE-8s when the fit is right...but find over time I have to keep pushing them in to get the bass response I want. The sound stage of the NE-8s was as good as the way more expensive IE8s IMO. I'm looking forward to giving the NE-700X's a whirl and for $55, I won't have to worry about losing them when I travel.

My "no more gear in 2010" moratorium should still hold up as I don't expect to get them until after January 1st...and since I used VISA, I won't be billed for 30 days. Now 2011, all bets are off.
biggrin.gif

Once you get these, can you please give your opinion on my two questions above regarding how they compare to the RE0 and how they are for flying?  Based on your signature and your post, it appears you'll know the answers first hand.

BTW, you need to be careful with with "I am going to stop buying gear until date X".  I went a whole year without buying any gear once, and as soon as my deadline was up, I bought everything for a home theater.  :wink:

Dec 21, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #39 of 235

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It is available now.

biggrin.gif

Once you get these, can you please give your opinion on my two questions above regarding how they compare to the RE0 and how they are for flying?  Based on your signature and your post, it appears you'll know the answers first hand.

BTW, you need to be careful with with "I am going to stop buying gear until date X".  I went a whole year without buying any gear once, and as soon as my deadline was up, I bought everything for a home theater.  :wink:

Absolutely I'll update how they compare with my RE0s. That seems to be a good comparison.

I went a little nuts this year with gear: LCD-2, HD800, T1, Edition 8LE, Concerto, SE535, some Kimber Kables, aftermarket cables for my LCD-2s and HD800s, and some tubes. So around September I thought...no more this year. Next year is a whole new year as they say.
wink_face.gif

Dec 21, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #40 of 235
Larry, I currently have the Brainwavz M2 as my "fun" earphone. If I wanted something more balanced and closer to say the W2 presentation would the NE-700X be it? I'm not expecting it to be as good as the W2 but just signature. I'm thinking the M2 could be my fun one and the NE-700X could be something more balanced for when I want different signatures.

I think I may give this Nuforce earphone a chance as I've never heard a Nuforce earphone and at $55 it sounds like a pretty good deal.

Dec 22, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #42 of 235

Larry, I currently have the Brainwavz M2 as my "fun" earphone. If I wanted something more balanced and closer to say the W2 presentation would the NE-700X be it? I'm not expecting it to be as good as the W2 but just signature. I'm thinking the M2 could be my fun one and the NE-700X could be something more balanced for when I want different signatures.

I think I may give this Nuforce earphone a chance as I've never heard a Nuforce earphone and at $55 it sounds like a pretty good deal.

Yeah, I think that would be a fair assessment of the NE-700X.

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #43 of 235
Dec 23, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #44 of 235
I have now had the NuForce trial NE-700X for a few weeks, and have done some listening. Take this fwiw :)

Build:
The NE-700X has a great feel of good build quality, they feel sturdy with the metal casing, unlike my previous main earphones Shure SE-210. The soft tips are easy to replace, but there is no risk of them falling of. I usually like tri-flange and bi-flange tips, but with these NE-700X resorted to use the medium sized regular tips, even if tri-flange was supplied. The Tri-flange worked well at first, gave the best isolation and felt good, but it was hard to find a good fit that held tight when walking or working. I think its that the tri-flanges rubber is thinner than my Shures and thus will not hold as tight as good. The tri-flanges are not unusable, i just would like to find that the tight fit would hold better.  With the normal medium tips i had good results, even if less bass than with the tri-flanges, it was easy to find a good fit that held even while crosscountry skiing. 

Isolation:
With the triflange the isolation felt just as good as with the SE-210. With the regular tip, i found no difference to the RE-Zeros, about isolation, but not as good as with the triflange. 

Sound:
As i have no extensive hifi background or equipment, i used for reference what i had. I used for sources a iPod Nano 1st gen. with RockBox  and a HifiMan HM-601 both coupled with Grado HF2 and same songs. Most of my head-to-head comparing was done with this track: "Hocico - Forgotten tears". The song has a punchy bass that leaves a presence of hum and a strong bassline as well as a lot of high-hat percussion. 

First without burning in, i thought the NE-700X had a bit too bright and piercing treble, but after a few days of burning the songs felt just right. The song has a punchy bass that leaves a presence of hum and a strong bassline, and the NE-700X did well.

NE-700X vs Shure SE-210: The NE-700X has more bass, more treble and feels more alive. The Shures feels quite lame in comparing. 

NE-700X vs RE-Zero: The NE-700X has more bass (with any tip), and its quite controlled and good and sounded best of the three earphones with that Hocico song. The RE-Zeros had really good and controlled bass, it was just not as pronounced and felt thus a bit lacking in some songs when doing head-to-head comparing. 

NE-700X vs Grado HF2: If such a comparing can be done... but i felt that of the three earphones the NE-700X had a similar feel to the sound as i got from the HF-2. The HF-2 are more precise, and in that area the RE-Zeros came closer to the HF-2 than the NE-700X. 

Conclusion:
Not sure i can say if i like the NE-700X more than the RE-Zeros, they are quite different but both really great. I was first quite suspect over the NuForces but they really proved me wrong. I like them more than i had thought i would, and have to test more to re-confirm if the tri-flanges still might be for me or not.

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #45 of 235

Users who are viewing this thread

Back