FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Oct 31, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #871 of 877
Can someone give me a rundown of all the different versions and fixes to the uDac2 line?  With all the drama and versions I'm having a hard time figuring whats fixed, whats not and whats added and in which versions.

Did any revision address the spike in distortion when the input level neared 0dbFS?

Dec 6, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #872 of 877
So the uDac-2 has been around now for over 3 years.  I'm listening to one now, it's great.  But time marches on and I wonder how it stands up against newer asynchronous devices like the Dragonfly and HRT Microstreamer.  Has anyone made the jump?  What do you think?

Apr 29, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #873 of 877
Well I just picked up a uDac-2 for $60 brand new......couldn't pass that up and I needed a decent DAC anyway.

I'm using it with my desktop mainly (Lenovo Horizon 27"). Lenovo --> uDac-2 --> Bravo Audio Ocean (Tube Amp) --> Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250.

VERY happy with this set up. I also tried the uDac-2 without the Bravo and I though it worked quite well on its own. I also like that I can take it and plug it in to my Surface 2 and use it as a stand alone DAC/AMP.

May 2, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #874 of 877
  Well I just picked up a uDac-2 for $60 brand new......couldn't pass that up and I needed a decent DAC anyway.

I'm using it with my desktop mainly (Lenovo Horizon 27"). Lenovo --> uDac-2 --> Bravo Audio Ocean (Tube Amp) --> Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250.

VERY happy with this set up. I also tried the uDac-2 without the Bravo and I though it worked quite well on its own. I also like that I can take it and plug it in to my Surface 2 and use it as a stand alone DAC/AMP.

Yeah, my son still prefers the uDAC-2 sound quality over his Schiit Audio Modi, but it doesn't work with an iPad and CCK like the Modi.

Aug 4, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #875 of 877
I still had a uDAC-2 Signature Gold edition lying in a drawer collecting dust as I’m not using my headphones anymore. My kids grew up and for the past four years I’m enjoying my HiFi set-up again. I never sold the uDAC-2 thinking it’s too nice to sell for what I’ll probably get for it.

Anyways, at the moment my main DAC is in for maintenance, the power supply is being upgraded. I’m without it for two weeks.
Which means I needed to go to a temporary solution.

My source is an Auralic Aries G1 streamer unit, Femto clocks and all. Fantastic quality.
My preamp is a Mark Levinson 320s and my power amp a Mark Levinson 335. Still amongst the best you can get.
Speakers are two way floorstanders with Scan Speak Revelators.

I wasn’t pleased with the sound of the DAC I borrowed from a friend, and of my own backup DAC.
Frustrated about not being able to enjoy my music during the repairs I thought, why not give my little uDAC-2 Signature Gold edition a shot.
Fortunately my Auralic recognized it (not always the case for older USB DAC’s).
Using a Kimber KS 1011 RCA interlink I hooked it to my 320s. That’s a very good RCA cable.
As USB cable I used the one provided with the uDAC-2, which is a very decent USB cable.

And what a surprise I got! Yes, it only works for 44.1, 48 or 96. No 192 and no DSD. So not the latest specs.
But the sound is far, far above what I remembered. Super clean, super wide stage, outstanding dynamic range. Deep bass, sweet highs, fantastic details and background pitch dark. In one word: wow, what a result from such a little device.

I don’t care what the measurement results are and stuff, all I care about is what my ears tell me.
And my ears tell me this is an incredibly good little DAC.

I don’t have my ‘normal’ uDAC-2 at the moment as I borrowed it to a friend.
So I don’t know how the Signature Gold version compares to the normal one right now.
But the Signature Gold is just pretty darn good!

Once again compliments to Jason Lim and Nuforce team (now Nuprime).

Aug 4, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #876 of 877
E8D5EB0E-F8B0-4544-9414-5174D9741066.jpeg
True that it looks a little odd...

Aug 7, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #877 of 877
I still had a uDAC-2 Signature Gold edition lying in a drawer collecting dust as I’m not using my headphones anymore. My kids grew up and for the past four years I’m enjoying my HiFi set-up again. I never sold the uDAC-2 thinking it’s too nice to sell for what I’ll probably get for it.

Anyways, at the moment my main DAC is in for maintenance, the power supply is being upgraded. I’m without it for two weeks.
Which means I needed to go to a temporary solution.

My source is an Auralic Aries G1 streamer unit, Femto clocks and all. Fantastic quality.
My preamp is a Mark Levinson 320s and my power amp a Mark Levinson 335. Still amongst the best you can get.
Speakers are two way floorstanders with Scan Speak Revelators.

I wasn’t pleased with the sound of the DAC I borrowed from a friend, and of my own backup DAC.
Frustrated about not being able to enjoy my music during the repairs I thought, why not give my little uDAC-2 Signature Gold edition a shot.
Fortunately my Auralic recognized it (not always the case for older USB DAC’s).
Using a Kimber KS 1011 RCA interlink I hooked it to my 320s. That’s a very good RCA cable.
As USB cable I used the one provided with the uDAC-2, which is a very decent USB cable.

And what a surprise I got! Yes, it only works for 44.1, 48 or 96. No 192 and no DSD. So not the latest specs.
But the sound is far, far above what I remembered. Super clean, super wide stage, outstanding dynamic range. Deep bass, sweet highs, fantastic details and background pitch dark. In one word: wow, what a result from such a little device.

I don’t care what the measurement results are and stuff, all I care about is what my ears tell me.
And my ears tell me this is an incredibly good little DAC.

I don’t have my ‘normal’ uDAC-2 at the moment as I borrowed it to a friend.
So I don’t know how the Signature Gold version compares to the normal one right now.
But the Signature Gold is just pretty darn good!

Once again compliments to Jason Lim and Nuforce team (now Nuprime).

I still have my uDAC-2 Signature Gold, with another one sealed in the box for when this one quits working. It’s always punched way above it’s pay grade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back