FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Nov 11, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #481 of 877

Quote:
I purchased it with the same intention.  But, I have primarily been using it with my main PC as a headphone amp.  Prior to my replacement unit, my original unit sounded quite good as a source for my tube pre-amp.  And, it also sounded good feeding my solid sate amp directly.  But, I was only able to listen a bit, as my life has been really chaotic this last month and a half.  For the money, I think its a great deal, especially since there are few affordable DACs that have RCA outs.

--Ken

Thanks Ken for the input! Yeah I've been reading these forums quite thoroughly lately and couldn't agree more. There isn't much thats going to beat this for the money. Also very reassuring that you were satisfied using it as a source for your tube pre-amp as well as ss amp. This was really the best option I could find as I introduce myself into the audiophile world.

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #482 of 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yekrut /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks Ken for the input! Yeah I've been reading these forums quite thoroughly lately and couldn't agree more. There isn't much thats going to beat this for the money. Also very reassuring that you were satisfied using it as a source for your tube pre-amp as well as ss amp. This was really the best option I could find as I introduce myself into the audiophile world.

While I have been happy, I am just now starting to merge my two channel set-up with PC-based audio.  And, as I have limited time to work on this project, the test listening that I have done has not been with any high quality files.  Nonetheless, I have been happy with the initial listening, if only for the convenience of having access to what resides on, or can be streamed through, my computer.  I kept them separately for a long time as I used to consider PC-based audio a convenience.  I knew that was not the case, but never had the time or energy to delve into it.  The uDAC-2 is a great gateway "drug" to lead me into the world of PC-based audio.  I have not yet burned my CDs' (pun intended), but someday soon I should be just carrying a portable HD, a small lalptop and the uDAC-2 with me to have all of my music at my fingertips.

--Ken

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #483 of 877

Quote:
While I have been happy, I am just now starting to merge my two channel set-up with PC-based audio.  And, as I have limited time to work on this project, the test listening that I have done has not been with any high quality files.  Nonetheless, I have been happy with the initial listening, if only for the convenience of having access to what resides on, or can be streamed through, my computer.  I kept them separately for a long time as I used to consider PC-based audio a convenience.  I knew that was not the case, but never had the time or energy to delve into it.  The uDAC-2 is a great gateway "drug" to lead me into the world of PC-based audio.  I have not yet burned my CDs' (pun intended), but someday soon I should be just carrying a portable HD, a small lalptop and the uDAC-2 with me to have all of my music at my fingertips.

--Ken

Before purchasing any of my audio equipment I was able to audition tracks form my computer through a nice USB dac with my headphones of interest. I had purposely ripped some high quality files from two CDs to be able to test the headphones. When I listened to the tracks I was blown away. Comparing certain tracks with some lower quality downloads I had was very revealing. The high quality files made a huge difference in my listening experience and I'll probably have to invest some time in order to improve my selection. I really hope that the uDAC-2 will allow me to experience this same WOW factor I encountered during my auditioning session. The small size factor is definitely a plus as I'll probably be taking it with me to work so I will always be able to enjoy my music.

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #487 of 877
HeadphoneAddict, are you feeding your IEMs directly from the uDAC-2, or are you feeding the line out into the Protector and listening balanced?

Nov 12, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #488 of 877

Haven't had a chance to read whole thread yet but has anyone managed to compare the uDAC2 to a Matrix Cube or Mini-i ? They are only about £30 and £50 (respectively) more expensive in the uk than the uDAC2.

Nov 12, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #489 of 877

Quote:
HeadphoneAddict, are you feeding your IEMs directly from the uDAC-2, or are you feeding the line out into the Protector and listening balanced?

Using the uDAC-2 headphone out > Westone ES5 and JH13Pro.

Nov 12, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #490 of 877
Interesting. I think the uDAC-2 headphone out > JH16Pro is terrific, but I just bought a used Protector + TWag from the For Sale forum today. After just a few minutes listening to the uDAC-2 line out > Protector > Balanced TWag > JH16Pro, which is just amazing, I'm already sure that I wouldn't want to go back to just using the uDAC-2 headphone out.

Nov 13, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #491 of 877

Quote:
Interesting. I think the uDAC-2 headphone out > JH16Pro is terrific, but I just bought a used Protector + TWag from the For Sale forum today. After just a few minutes listening to the uDAC-2 line out > Protector > Balanced TWag > JH16Pro, which is just amazing, I'm already sure that I wouldn't want to go back to just using the uDAC-2 headphone out.

I use it out of convenience with the JH13pro, so I don't have to piggyback an amp onto the uDAC-2 and complicate things.  The JH13Pro do sound a little better balanced out of the Protector than uDAC-2, but the uDAC-2 pairs well enough that I don't have to tack on an amp if I don't want the bother.  And the ES5 are better out of the uDAC-2 than the JH13Pro, where the JH13Pro benefit from the more aggressive mids of the Protector.  

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #494 of 877
can anybody confirm whether the udac2 works with an (externally unpowered) usb isolator dongle?
i would like to use coax out as a transport to my audio-gd dac19.
thank you!
ps: i am also considering firestone bravo and audio-gd di. no idea which one would be the best choice ...

edit: clarified "unpowered"

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #495 of 877

Quote:
can anybody confirm whether the udac2 works with an (unpowered) usb isolator dongle?
i would like to use coax out as a transport to my audio-gd dac19.
thank you!
ps: i am also considering firestone bravo and audio-gd di. no idea which one would be the best choice ...

What is an "(unpowered) usb isolator dongle"? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back