FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Oct 22, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #451 of 877
Well done Jason and NuForce for taking responsibility for the problem in your product, even though it was rare. Also, it is commendable that you take an active part in these forums and are a part of this community.

P.S. I for one didn't have this problem and have been totally satisfied and even amazed at this product since the day I got it.

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #452 of 877
Thanks for diligently investigating this until you found the root cause, Jason!

I'm a US-based customer and purchased the uDAC-2 online from Crutchfield. With my unit, I do hear the 2KHz tone clearly through my very sensitive Shure SE530s when the uDAC-2 is connected directly to any of the USB ports of my Dell M65 laptop. I can also hear the tone faintly from the unit itself if I put my ear right up next to it.

The tone goes away if I connect through an unpowered USB hub.

I can mask out the tone using a RadioShack inline volume attenuator cable to increase the impedance to the SE530s. That's worked well enough for me on the go, but as HeadphoneAddict reported in another thread, these volume attenuators do degrade the sound quality a bit, so it's great to hear that a replacement board will eliminate the problem altogether. I'm going to go ahead and log a help desk ticket.

Aside from the tone, I've been extremely pleased with the uDAC-2! It's a huge upgrade from the laptop's internal soundcard, as well as from the Creative Xmod I was using before I joined Head-Fi and started to know better.
etysmile.gif

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #453 of 877
wait.. I'm still not sure, is uDac2 will let my windows to control the volume too?

because it's started to a bit funny, I like how uDac1 produce sound, but this imbalance issue started made me crazy

too sensitive cans paired with too sensitive ears, and yeah so be it...

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #454 of 877
On my computer, I have volume control via both computer and udac2. If low volume balance from the udac2 is an issue, I turn down the computer volume (say 50%) and turn up the udac2. Problem solved.

Oct 24, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #456 of 877

Quote:
On my computer, I have volume control via both computer and udac2. If low volume balance from the udac2 is an issue, I turn down the computer volume (say 50%) and turn up the udac2. Problem solved.

The volume imbalance is only existent at the lowest volumes. It corrects itself as you go a bit louder. When at the imbalance's loudest point, I can take off my headphones, hold my ear about 1 inch away and barely hear anything.

I love the build quality of this thing. It looks and feels durable. The added white ON light is very nice, as well as the powering off red light. The only thing I wish for would be rubber feet so I don't scratch it on the desk, but I have a cloth I place my headphones on anyways. Amazing product!

Oct 25, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #457 of 877
The quickest way to get the replacement board is to log a help desk ticket from http://www.nuforce.com/hp/support/service.php
without bothering the reseller (Crutchfield, Audio Advisor and others).  We should be getting the replacement board within the next 2 days.

Quote:
Thanks for diligently investigating this until you found the root cause, Jason!

I'm a US-based customer and purchased the uDAC-2 online from Crutchfield. With my unit, I do hear the 2KHz tone clearly through my very sensitive Shure SE530s when the uDAC-2 is connected directly to any of the USB ports of my Dell M65 laptop. I can also hear the tone faintly from the unit itself if I put my ear right up next to it.

The tone goes away if I connect through an unpowered USB hub.

I can mask out the tone using a RadioShack inline volume attenuator cable to increase the impedance to the SE530s. That's worked well enough for me on the go, but as HeadphoneAddict reported in another thread, these volume attenuators do degrade the sound quality a bit, so it's great to hear that a replacement board will eliminate the problem altogether. I'm going to go ahead and log a help desk ticket.

Aside from the tone, I've been extremely pleased with the uDAC-2! It's a huge upgrade from the laptop's internal soundcard, as well as from the Creative Xmod I was using before I joined Head-Fi and started to know better.
etysmile.gif

Oct 25, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #458 of 877

There is no need to ship the units to us. We (or international distributors) will just ship the small replacement board to customers directly.
Quote:
Nice Job Jason, didn't know that you wanted th affected units shipped to Nuforce directly. I shipped it back to Dustin, sorry for the inconvenience

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #459 of 877
Sent my unit back to the Swedish agent yesterday, and got the new board in it. Talked to them today, and the udac2 is now "dead silent"
smily_headphones1.gif

I will get i back on monday, looking forward to it
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #460 of 877
New user who registered for sole purpose of giving a review on my new uDAC-2!!!  

I am actually using this a little different than others I believe -- a hidden gem -- as a DAC/Preamp for my home office/studio stereo system, something I've been longing for, but haven't found until now.  My setup is as follows (some pics below):

1. iMac Core i7 - iTunes Lossless files
  2. nuForce IMPULSE USB audio cable
  3. nuForce uDac-2
  4. Monster Cable Interlink RCA interconnects
  5. Rotel RB-1050 amplifier (70w x 2)
  6. Homebrew Cat5e 5 pair twisted speaker cables
  7. Paradigm Atoms
  8. Velodyne IMPACT 10 sub

Results are stellar!!!  I am unequivocally impressed with this DAC!!!  I have tried the HRT Music Streamer II and II+ DACs, the Cambridge Audio DacMagic, and even a Marantz NR1501 AVR.  

1. HRT Music Streamer II and II+:  Both had nice sound, but the stereo soundstage was closer and lacked a sense of 'air/openess' to the sound.  
  2. Cambridge Audio DacMagic:  Had somewhat of an electronic sound to it -- almost strained -- like it was holding onto the details of the music; reproducing them, but again, not airy at all.
  3. Maratnz NR1501:  This AVR was hands down better than the HRT and Cambridge DACs.  I am not sure what DAC Marantz is using in this unit, but it's great sounding and the music comes through nicely -- a great soundstage.  Problem is, I really wanted to put my Rotel RB-1050 to work here, but alas, there are no pre-outs for stereo channels, only sub preout.

Now, for the nuForce uDac-2 (bows down to nuForce):

Holy cow!  This thing is amazing!  

I've been into audio for over 10 years, and this is the first time I've ever felt this enveloped in the sound - airy, open, wide sound stage, with fantastic dynamics -- bass is amazingly tight, like I've never heard before. I AM A KID IN A CANDY SHOP RIGHT NOW, I am listening to music again for the first time! Been listening for the past 6 hours, so I know this thing isn't even burned in yet and it sounds SOOO GOOOOD!

Just can't say enough here.  Thank you to Jason and the team at nuForce.  I've been to your site and realize you guys sell some pretty amazing (and expensive) products which no doubt sound stellar... I just praise you for bringing this level of performance at $129.99.  

VERDICT?  Stop contemplating... Buy one now if you are looking for a similar DAC/Preamp setup like I have.

Standard RCA to Velodyne sub + homebrew Cat5e speaker cable + Monster Cable Interconnect to uDac-2

uDac-2 under the desk using as a preamp

nuForce IMPUSE USB Audio Cable from iMac

Oct 30, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #461 of 877

Quote:
New user who registered for sole purpose of giving a review on my new uDAC-2!!!  

I am actually using this a little different than others I believe -- a hidden gem -- as a DAC/Preamp for my home office/studio stereo system, something I've been longing for, but haven't found until now.  My setup is as follows (some pics below):

1. iMac Core i7 - iTunes Lossless files
  2. nuForce IMPULSE USB audio cable
  3. nuForce uDac-2
  4. Monster Cable Interlink RCA interconnects
  5. Rotel RB-1050 amplifier (70w x 2)
  6. Homebrew Cat5e 5 pair twisted speaker cables
  7. Paradigm Atoms
  8. Velodyne IMPACT 10 sub

Results are stellar!!!  I am unequivocally impressed with this DAC!!!  I have tried the HRT Music Streamer II and II+ DACs, the Cambridge Audio DacMagic, and even a Marantz NR1501 AVR.  

1. HRT Music Streamer II and II+:  Both had nice sound, but the stereo soundstage was closer and lacked a sense of 'air/openess' to the sound.  
  2. Cambridge Audio DacMagic:  Had somewhat of an electronic sound to it -- almost strained -- like it was holding onto the details of the music; reproducing them, but again, not airy at all.
  3. Maratnz NR1501:  This AVR was hands down better than the HRT and Cambridge DACs.  I am not sure what DAC Marantz is using in this unit, but it's great sounding and the music comes through nicely -- a great soundstage.  Problem is, I really wanted to put my Rotel RB-1050 to work here, but alas, there are no pre-outs for stereo channels, only sub preout.

Now, for the nuForce uDac-2 (bows down to nuForce):

Holy cow!  This thing is amazing!  

I've been into audio for over 10 years, and this is the first time I've ever felt this enveloped in the sound - airy, open, wide sound stage, with fantastic dynamics -- bass is amazingly tight, like I've never heard before. I AM A KID IN A CANDY SHOP RIGHT NOW, I am listening to music again for the first time! Been listening for the past 6 hours, so I know this thing isn't even burned in yet and it sounds SOOO GOOOOD!

Just can't say enough here.  Thank you to Jason and the team at nuForce.  I've been to your site and realize you guys sell some pretty amazing (and expensive) products which no doubt sound stellar... I just praise you for bringing this level of performance at $129.99.  

VERDICT?  Stop contemplating... Buy one now if you are looking for a similar DAC/Preamp setup like I have.

Standard RCA to Velodyne sub + homebrew Cat5e speaker cable + Monster Cable Interconnect to uDac-2

uDac-2 under the desk using as a preamp

nuForce IMPUSE USB Audio Cable from iMac

We always say, "welcome to head-fi, and sorry about your wallet." here.

But in this case your wallet is still intact!

Oct 30, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #462 of 877

Quote:
We always say, "welcome to head-fi, and sorry about your wallet." here.  
But in this case your wallet is still intact!

So far... *dun*dun*dun*...
ph34r.gif

Nov 1, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #463 of 877
Today, I got the Udac2 back from PCB exchange, and...tada, its dead silent! Im so thankful for the support, and that Jason and the guys at Nuforce belived us with the affected units.
So, thx a lot!

Br
Lasse

Nov 1, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #464 of 877
I filed a helpdesk ticket with Nuforce and received a replacement board a week later. Installing the board was very easy, although it still would have been nice if Nuforce had included some instructions. A prepaid sticker was included to return the old board to Nuforce.

The new board completely fixed the problem with the 2KHz tone, and it sounds at least as good as the original board in all other respects.

Thanks for the great service!

Nov 1, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #465 of 877
Quote:
Today, I got the Udac2 back from PCB exchange, and...tada, its dead silent! Im so thankful for the support, and that Jason and the guys at Nuforce belived us with the affected units.
So, thx a lot!

Br
Lasse

I received my replacement unit on Friday, but was out of town until late Saturday.  I briefly listened to the unit yesterday, and so far, so good.  I'll try to post more when I have some time to use it a bit more.  Thanks to Jason and the gang at nuForce!! 
beerchug.gif

--Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back