FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Oct 19, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #422 of 877
I'm sending my unit back to dustin, I hope you guys find a solution to this issue as I would be happy to purchase this unit again and recommend it to my friends. 

Best of luck!

Oct 19, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #423 of 877
the treble in uDac2 is more extended or more agresive than uDac1? or maybe both?
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #424 of 877
Quote:
I posted a picture a while back...plug an RCA to hp jack (male) into a female-female hp jack and voila. of course you could make/find a RCA to female hp jack adaptor (but these are harder to find). The hiss is completely gone with my fairly sensitive IEMs and I would imagine the tone problem will disappear as well (i don't have this problem so can't say). Could at least one person try this! 

just found a rca to 1/8 female in one of my cable boxes and tried it. — tone is still there but almost not audible anymore.
i used a closed 32 ohms can for testing ...
don't know, what this means ... ("normal" background noise which is amplified by the headphone amp circuit then?)
really curious what the nuforce feedback will be ... slowly i'm starting to find it all rather entertaining ...  

Oct 20, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #425 of 877
So funny. I have just ordered mine and started to wait delivery eagerly. I had read many good reviews (including first pages of this thread, without noise issue) before ordering.  Now I read some more pages
confused_face(1).gif
 and becoming more exited to see the result
popcorn.gif

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #427 of 877
I kinda agree. The clarity and separation are better than the uDac-1, but it almost seems to make the k702 harsher in comparison. The treble started to bother me with the uDac-2 as well, but maybe because it's underpowering them, I don't know. But they seem more shrill to my ears that on the uDac-1. To my surprise, the uDac-2 DID improve pretty noticebly from 100 hours of burnin. The treble calmed down a titch, and the separation seemed to improve as well. I actually can tell that it's TECHNICALLY better than the uDac-1, but I still think I prefer the first one because it's a tiny bit smoother. However, I think when my M-Stage gets here, the uDac-2 will be the one to use with it as a dac only, till I upgrade to either the Yulong 100/1704, or DSP 19.

-Daniel

Oct 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #428 of 877
If it's a hub problem, then how does that explain those who have the noise while it's plugged directly into the computer's USB? (And tested on multiple computers.)

(US customer, here.)

Oct 20, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #429 of 877
I can hear a tone with ATH-M50 but not with DT770 (250 ohm) or DT990 (600 ohm).

I will test a bit more and give a bit more detailed information about my setup when I get some time.

Oct 20, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #430 of 877
Quote:
If it's a hub problem, then how does that explain those who have the noise while it's plugged directly into the computer's USB? (And tested on multiple computers.)

(US customer, here.)

Jason was also including internal USB hub inside PC's -
 Quote:
 Note that even when you plug the uDAC-2 to your laptop directly, internally it has USB hub.

--Ken

Oct 20, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #431 of 877

Quote:

(US customer, here.)

Computer USB is also a hub. A USB hub simply means that it has multiple USB ports.
Internally it may or may not have separate 5V power.   The best way to deal with problem like this is to try out with a powered USB hub, then contact our support directly.  Majority of the uDAC-2 that are plugged directly onto a computer USB port have no problem, but may be some computers have crappy USB implementation, or could be our product defect.

Oct 20, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #432 of 877

Quote:
Jason:
    Thanks for the quick response! Yes mine is the uDac-2 HP that came with the short clear usb cable. I bought it through Amazon, but the seller was Audio Advisor. How do I go about getting the replacement cable?

-Daniel

We just shipped the replacement Impulse cables to Audio Advisor. Call them in a day or two.  We need to coordinate with them. We will most likely pay for their shipping cost to customers. Well, we messed up, we pay for everything
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #433 of 877

Quote:
One follow-up question.  If a good, powered hub is the solution, is there any loss of sound quality from the additional cables, hub and power supply being added between the PC and the DAC?

--Ken

The issues affecting the sound quality are different from analog cables. For streamed USB data transfer, data loss is possible. If you have high quality hub and cables, and a reasonable distance, then the digital signals are going to get through without loss. A high quality and better shielded USB cable (like the Nuforce Impulse cable
L3000.gif
) would greatly improve the sound quality by reducing the noise too.
The ground noise that comes through from the computer side won't affect the DAC but could affect the analog section.

Oct 20, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #435 of 877

Quote:
I kinda agree. The clarity and separation are better than the uDac-1, but it almost seems to make the k702 harsher in comparison. The treble started to bother me with the uDac-2 as well, but maybe because it's underpowering them, I don't know. But they seem more shrill to my ears that on the uDac-1. To my surprise, the uDac-2 DID improve pretty noticebly from 100 hours of burnin. The treble calmed down a titch, and the separation seemed to improve as well. I actually can tell that it's TECHNICALLY better than the uDac-1, but I still think I prefer the first one because it's a tiny bit smoother. However, I think when my M-Stage gets here, the uDac-2 will be the one to use with it as a dac only, till I upgrade to either the Yulong 100/1704, or DSP 19.

-Daniel

wow fair review, thx!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back