FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Oct 15, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #391 of 877
Quick impressions:

I DEFINITELY prefer the uDac-1 to this one with the k702. This one seems much harsher/brighter than that one. Maybe it will improve with burn-in, but I don't see it happening. The first one was definitely smoother, seemed to have lusher vocals, and just an overall warmer signature that I preferred with the AKG. I am using the headphone out by the way until my Matrix arrives.

-Daniel

Oct 16, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #392 of 877
I just got feedback from Nuforce help desk, and they want me to send the UDAC2 back, for a replacement unit, so apperantly, they found something thats not right with the "tone" units.

Lasse

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #394 of 877
Anyone else not like this pairing (k702/uDac2)? To me it sounds dry, harsh, brittle-kinda how they sounded out of the box before burn-in. They sounded the same way when I fed the original uDac into the Asgard. But straight from the uDac-1 they sound perfect to me! Not sure if this is an amp or dac issue or what. But as it stands I'm going to go back to the uDac-1 unless the uDac-2/Matrix combo fixes this.

-Daniel

edit: the uDac-2 has about 50 hours of burnin...not
       sure if it's supposed to change much or not

Oct 17, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #395 of 877
[size=medium]Hey guys if you needed more power and need to run the uDAC-2 into an additional AMP, is it best to run it off the RCA or [/size][size=9pt]coaxial other [/size][size=medium]than the headphone jack? Are the other outputs more like “pure line-out” (not amped like the headphone outs? Essentially just using the uDAC-2 as a DAC minus the amp (also is that possible to use the uDAC-2 as just a pure DAC) And if that is the case and your amp only has the traditional 3.5mm line-in/out jack, is it best to get a RCA to 3.5mm line-out cable and utilize the RCA out puts than use the headphone output? [/size]
[size=medium]Thanks.[/size]

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #396 of 877
Well the coaxial only acts as a usb-->coaxial converter...you'd be bypassing the amp and dac. I'm not sure if there's a difference using the rca outs versus the headphone out when connecting to another amp...they sounded the same to me. I 'think' the differences would probably only be from the interconnects in that instance, but I'm not sure.

-Daniel

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #397 of 877
Quote:
[size=medium]Hey guys if you needed more power and need to run the uDAC-2 into an additional AMP, is it best to run it off the RCA or [/size][size=9pt]coaxial other [/size][size=medium]than the headphone jack? Are the other outputs more like “pure line-out” (not amped like the headphone outs? Essentially just using the uDAC-2 as a DAC minus the amp (also is that possible to use the uDAC-2 as just a pure DAC) And if that is the case and your amp only has the traditional 3.5mm line-in/out jack, is it best to get a RCA to 3.5mm line-out cable and utilize the RCA out puts than use the headphone output? [/size]
[size=medium]Thanks.[/size]

Both the RCA outs and the headphone jack pass through the volume control, it cannot be bypassed.  But, the new uDAC-2 has a better volume control than the previous version.

--Ken

Oct 17, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #402 of 877
Quote:
But is there any sonic differences between using the rca outs versus the headphone out when connecting to a seperate amp?

I think that somebody with more technical expertise will need to answer this question.  I believe that the RCA line-outs put out 2 Volts RMS, but as I mentioned previously,  they are tied to the volume pot.  Obviously, the headphone out does not put out that strong of a signal, but I do not know if there is a relationship between signal strength and sound quality.

--Ken

Oct 18, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #405 of 877
Strange episode today. I noticed I wasn't getting a signal to my right speaker and swapped cables at the uDAC-2 RCA outs to confirm it was a DAC issue. While swapping cables I found the uDAC-2 to be really hot. I unplugged the USB cable from the back, waited a couple seconds, and after plugging it back in the uDAC is working normally and the temperature is back down to normal. What could cause it to get so hot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back