FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Sep 24, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #226 of 877
I've done some more testing and no noise yet, so it does not look to be a design flaw.  It may have been a bad batch or QA isn't tight enough. (I'm looking at you, volume nob cap thingy that fell off...
angry_face.gif
)

I'm still happy with my purchase.  It sounds very good so far with the few hours I've been able to listen to it.

Here are the different setups I have tried so far (and all combinations):

Computers:
  1. Custom built desktop with an Asus M2N-Deluxe motherboard (which has a very noisy SoundMax integrated sound card)
  2. HP6700 Laptop

USB Cables:
  1. Supplied by NuForce
  2. Old, cheap, 6ft

Headphones:
  1. SRH840
  2. iPod earbuds

Settings:
  1. Full Volume
  2. Minimum Volume
  3. Sleep Mode (some static, but that's to be expected since the DAC isn't getting enough power)
  4. Sound playing
  5. No sounds playing

Quote:
thanks for the effort mate. I think the issue runs with IEMs, not so much full sized cans, open to correction.

IsoOctane mentioned using AH-D1001s and some ear buds, both having the same issue.  The problem does not appear to be limited to just IEMs.

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #227 of 877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

IsoOctane mentioned using AH-D1001s and some ear buds, both having the same issue.  The problem does not appear to be limited to just IEMs.

I stand corrected then
biggrin.gif
hehe

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #228 of 877
Wow, that's not good. We've definitely have different experiences with the unit then. Sorry to hear you're having problems.

Quote:
It's on the lowest volume level that the noise become more obvious for me, no his, just a high pitch noise.

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #229 of 877
Quote:
That's funny. I run a similar setup with my Dell e6400 laptop and when I run the udac-2 with my ety 4ps with S cable I hear no noise at all. As long as I plug in my headphones with the unit turned off and then turn it on it's completely silent. Out of curiosity, I tried switching out headphones (plugged in with S adapter and without) and with the 4Ps plugged in directly I (sometimes) get a FAINT faint noise with the pot turned all the way up. That's it. Nothing when the music plays and nothing at normal volumes. Not sure if it makes a difference (pretty sure it doesn't) but my adapter was one of the ones made my Xin Feng a long time ago out of a Radio Shack extension cord. I never use the DAC 2 and my etys without the adapter anyway.

While I have had a chance to read some of the posts since my previous post, I have only had time to try out the Etys with the S cable.  Using the S cable, which raises the impedance, significantly reduced the noise.  It was not completely gone, but it was significantly lower.  I will try to test the RCA line outs this afternoon, schedule permitting.

--Ken

Sep 24, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #231 of 877
I decided to steal a few minutes form my afternoon chores and errands to plug the uDAC-2 into my main rig.  I'll probably be paying for this decision later, but it was worth it.  Very good news, I could not hear any of the above-described noise from the unit through its RCA outs.  I plugged the unit into my tube preamp as well ad directly into my amplifier, and things sounded great.  Actually, it is giving by tube amp a run for its money.  The sound stage is really great, and I have not even tweaked anything in my netbook.  If this keeps up, it will be a keeper for me.

I really love my Etys at the gym, on the bus, and especially on an airplane, but they can be quite unforgiving at times.  And since the S-cable helps reduce this noise when using them, it is not really a deal-breaker for me.  I'll post more when I have more time to listen.  Now I need to be off to accomplish a billion things before dinner! 
eek.gif

--Ken

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #232 of 877
No noise or whatsoever for me.

Laptop -> uDac-2 -> LCD-2

In a few days my Asgard will arrive and I will test the DAC function of the uDac-2 w/ dedicated amp.

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #233 of 877
I guess it was defective then and they just sent me back the same one since it seems so few others have this noise. That's somewhat infuriating. I will be pissed if I can't get my shipping cost refunded.

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #235 of 877
Can someone shed me some lights on this:

1- S/PDIF digital is digital, no more, no less?

2- Or there can be S/PDIF stereo and S/PDIF surround?

If statement 2 is true then what kind of digital out I'm having with my uDac-2 S/PDIF output? The reason for my concern is that I'm having my uDac-2 connected to my 5.1 receiver to get 5.1 sound in games and movies. I just wanna make sure that I'm getting proper 5.1 sound the way games and movies intended to be, not simulated 5.1 sound.

And by the way is there any other good sounding DAC that has digital out like the uDac-2? That feature is a must for me.

Thanks and cheers
beerchug.gif

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #237 of 877
  S/PDIF is digital. S/DPIF can transmit up to 5.1 as a bitstream depending on implementation.  However, as far as I know the uDAC2 won't accept or pass compressed bitstreams like DD or DTS so the most you'll get from it is 24/96 stereo PCM. If you're hearing 5.1 then your receiver is deriving it via Dolby Prologic II or the like or some other algorithm.

Quote:
Can someone shed me some lights on this:

1- S/PDIF digital is digital, no more, no less?

2- Or there can be S/PDIF stereo and S/PDIF surround?

If statement 2 is true then what kind of digital out I'm having with my uDac-2 S/PDIF output? The reason for my concern is that I'm having my uDac-2 connected to my 5.1 receiver to get 5.1 sound in games and movies. I just wanna make sure that I'm getting proper 5.1 sound the way games and movies intended to be, not simulated 5.1 sound.

And by the way is there any other good sounding DAC that has digital out like the uDac-2? That feature is a must for me.

Thanks and cheers
beerchug.gif

Sep 24, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #238 of 877

Quote:
Thanks for your reply! I have Alessandro MS-1i's and probably getting a Denon D2000 later on. For an amp, I'm in doubt between the Schiit Asgard (solid state) and the Little Dot I+ (hybrid). I really like the looks of the Asgard, and the fact that it's made with love, with quality materials, in the U.S.. The Little Dot is very nice to start with tube and opamp swapping. You say the uDAC-2 has a "warm" sound. That would imply that it would match better with a solid state amp. The D2K's are supposed to pair better with solid state too, right? What amp of the beforementioned two would you think has the best synergy with the uDAC-2?

I have no idea, I know none of them
smily_headphones1.gif

But if I had to gamble, I'd go with the hybrid. My amp is also integrated and the sound isn't too warm, in fact I made it a bit warmer with my interconnect cable. But that also has a lot to do with my specific headphone. So you have to figure out what would best compliment your own headphones.

Sep 24, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #239 of 877

Quote:
  S/PDIF is digital. S/DPIF can transmit up to 5.1 as a bitstream depending on implementation.  However, as far as I know the uDAC2 won't accept or pass compressed bitstreams like DD or DTS so the most you'll get from it is 24/96 stereo PCM. If you're hearing 5.1 then your receiver is deriving it via Dolby Prologic II or the like or some other algorithm.

You're right, the uDAC-2 doesn't accept more than 2 channels into its USB input. You can downmix your 5.1 to 2 channels but that kinda defeats the cause.

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #240 of 877
Mine still remains silent as well.  My ES3X and W3 pick up hiss pretty easily and I can hear it loud and clear with my ALO Amphora amp, but not with any of my Nuforce gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back