FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Sep 26, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #256 of 877

Quote:
This whole background "tone" problem, is this known to affect all units?  Because I don't hear a tone, at least not over the background hiss, when using IEMs.  None of the 3 other people who listening to this unit noticed anything out of the ordinary either.

nope, certainly not every unit from what I've read here on the boards.

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #257 of 877
I don't hear a hiss but I definitely hear some sort of frequency when the unit it on...obviously not noticeable when listening to music or watching a movie so not a big deal for me.

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #258 of 877

Quote:
I don't hear a hiss but I definitely hear some sort of frequency when the unit it on...obviously not noticeable when listening to music or watching a movie so not a big deal for me.

What frequency would you say the tone is?  I heard the recording on one of the earlier posts and could hear that clearly but I don't know how much that was amplified, but from my unit I don't hear anything.  So I don't know if this tone is supposed to be pretty loud or what.

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #259 of 877

Quote:
What frequency would you say the tone is?  I heard the recording on one of the earlier posts and could hear that clearly but I don't know how much that was amplified, but from my unit I don't hear anything.  So I don't know if this tone is supposed to be pretty loud or what.

If it's there, you will know. I had no trouble hearing it even through music on my IE8s. the udac2 I had was completely unusable for me.

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #260 of 877

Quote:
If it's there, you will know. I had no trouble hearing it even through music on my IE8s. the udac2 I had was completely unusable for me.

yeah; it's just weird how in some devices we hear it, but in others we don't and I know there are many variables, but still. If hiss pervades into the music, bah. So what did you end up doing with the udac2?

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #261 of 877

Quote:

So did you exchange one for a unit that had no more noise problem?  I remember a post where someone exchanged it and the replacement had the exact same tone.  That made me think it was one of those problems that exist in every unit but only some people can hear it. 

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #262 of 877

Quote:
So did you exchange one for a unit that had no more noise problem?  I remember a post where someone exchanged it and the replacement had the exact same tone.  That made me think it was one of those problems that exist in every unit but only some people can hear it. 

I am still thinking that it depends on which headphone is connected. High or low impedance? I will test is tonight with Grado vs. HD650 when I collect my uDAC-2 from the postoffice.  

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #263 of 877

Quote:

I sent it back to them for exchange, and I thought they did exchange it, so then I blamed it on my equipment since the 2nd one did the same thing. However, it did mysteriously return to me in the exact same packaging(I had put tape on the corners). And Jason's post here says: 

Quote:
It is not a defect. We won't provide any exchange.

So now I am back to thinking they just sent me back the same one I sent to them. I have since sent it back for a refund and I am hoping I can get my shipping charges refunded since it does indeed appear to be a defect since more people are reporting they hear nothing compared to the ones that do hear it. I'm quite annoyed with them for sending me back the same unit after I reported I had an issue. I even linked them to post on head-fi where a fellow stated that his IE8s don't hiss with hissy amps, and his hissy IEMs don't hiss with the udac2.(My original complaint was hissing with IE8s, before I realized that it was actually a tone).

So for now I am just thinking that Nuforce is providing a product with variable performance, a DAC lotto if you will. Roll the dice! Maybe you won't get one with the background noise!

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #264 of 877

Quote:

60 cycle hum I would think...high pitched but I compared it to some clips I heard and it seems to be the same.

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #265 of 877

Quote:
I sent it back to them for exchange, and I thought they did exchange it, so then I blamed it on my equipment since the 2nd one did the same thing. However, it did mysteriously return to me in the exact same packaging(I had put tape on the corners). And Jason's post here says: 

So now I am back to thinking they just sent me back the same one I sent to them. I have since sent it back for a refund and I am hoping I can get my shipping charges refunded since it does indeed appear to be a defect since more people are reporting they hear nothing compared to the ones that do hear it. I'm quite annoyed with them for sending me back the same unit after I reported I had an issue. I even linked them to post on head-fi where a fellow stated that his IE8s don't hiss with hissy amps, and his hissy IEMs don't hiss with the udac2.(My original complaint was hissing with IE8s, before I realized that it was actually a tone).

So for now I am just thinking that Nuforce is providing a product with variable performance, a DAC lotto if you will. Roll the dice! Maybe you won't get one with the background noise!

Yeah I kinda wish I took done the serial number on the HDP I sent back. If they do send me back the same one, I'd be plenty unhappy to put it mildly and yes, it does seem to be a roll of the dice though they do seem to say that it's more because we have sensitive ears. I'll see how it goes with mine. I might be tempted into an impedance adapter, but that said. I really pray they don't even think about sending the same unit back to me.

Sep 27, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #266 of 877

Quote:
I am still thinking that it depends on which headphone is connected. High or low impedance? I will test is tonight with Grado vs. HD650 when I collect my uDAC-2 from the postoffice.  

I found that simply resistance adapter(I have here only Crappy Ultimate ears 100ohm) help you to get rid of this high tone, if you are using IEMS. With my HD595 there is no noise.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 27, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #268 of 877
Quote:
That could be a good solution! Where could I buy a good quality resistance adapter?

My Etymotics ER-4 adapter cable seemed to help knock down, but not totally eliminate, the tone.  I believe that they sell their adapter directly if you think that it will help your headphones.

--Ken

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #270 of 877

Quote:
This one should be high quality, take one with lower impendance( Maybe 30-40 will be enough?)

http://apuresound.com/ra.html

Wow. Yeah I meant good quality, but not thát good. Any recommendations for anything cheaper?
dt880smile.png

And replytoken, do you mean this one? ER4P-24 (http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4-acc.aspx) That's also a bit too expensive too...
Cable : Converts ER-4P to ER-4S
BUY NOW - $65.00 Each

Users who are viewing this thread

Back