First Headphones
Jun 5, 2011 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ImSikhWithIt

New Head-Fier
 I was looking into buying new headphones. I used to have some crappy Sonys that I got for like 10 bucks but now I feel like upgrading. It'd be great to get some suggestions for first headphones. I mostly listen to music with heavy bass such as Rap and Dubstep, but I don't want everything else to be overpowered.

I was looking into  the Shure SRH 440s and the SRH 550DJs. In between those two, which ones would be better? Or would your recommend something different.

I'm trying to find headphones that would be available in Canada readily in places such as Best Buy, Future-Shop etc. I'm not a fan of buying things online.

Thanks.

Jun 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 4
Online is that best way to buy. Cheap, great selection, no idiotic tech that thinks that Beats are better then anything else.

Anyways.

I'm not a big fan of shure, they seem to be a company that "you get what you paid for" with their headphones.

There are a lot of headphones out there that will give double or triple what you actually give to them in terms of quality.

For Rap and hiphop, I would go for a pair of Sony MDR-V6's. They have great all around sound, comfort, they love bass and they give rap the type of feel that it's rolling other then hitting. Hard to explain. I see that the only problem with V6's is that they need to be driven hard or need a amp to get the full effect. But you don't need a amp for the time being. But I choose these as well as music producers and sound techs for anything. I've known people to sell $500 headphones because V6's sound could not be beat at that price range. $60 online, and they sell at a lot of places.

Oh, what's your source components? ipod, mp3, CD, Computer? Because if your source is not good, then everything coming out of it won't be good either.

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 4
 I'll be using my iPhone, but I might switch to a BB. Mostly though, it will be at home from my computer or I could connect it to the reciever I use to hook up my laptop.

If Sony MD-V6's are the way to go, 60 dollars is way less than what I was aiming to buy my headphones for.

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
 I'll be using my iPhone, but I might switch to a BB. Mostly though, it will be at home from my computer or I could connect it to the reciever I use to hook up my laptop.

If Sony MD-V6's are the way to go, 60 dollars is way less than what I was aiming to buy my headphones for.

Yeah they are great headphones. If you're just looking for a single genre to fit them into, they would suite you fine. IMO I would keep the iphone and buy a Cowon DAP. I have a Cowon S9 and it will change your view on music. Ipods will not cut it but some people swear by them here, but then they also buy $400 amps to go with them. A Cowon S9 16gb with the newset firmware update will give you a great portable player. Just make sure your audio files are mp3 320kbs or Flac. 

Also, if your thinking of using the V6 as a portable, I would turn away. The cord is long, but it's springed to shrink the real length. If you need a pair of headphone for a portable, get my Brainwavz M1s like in my signature. They are $30 and with a Fiio E5 $15 you will have a rocking set of IEMs for your ipod. With the money you saved from the V6s you can buy the BWs. Also, if your asking, the Fiio e5 amp only really works with the BW M1s because they lack Bass, but with them they can settle about in the $200 headphone bracket range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back