First head-fi meet Netherlands
Feb 6, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #196 of 265
Last week a dog chewed lots of my audio gear to death (and damaged some furniture).
Two headphones totally defunct, the Stax damaged, a tube (!), a wooden enclosure and six cables.
Well, the sixth cable was his last cable, it was connected to the mains.
It wasn't my dog, and frankly I wasn't too unhappy about his demise.

"Beware of the dog" got a whole new meaning.I felt like being part of a Monthy Python movie.When I came home I saw the crying female owner, and my somewhat uncalled for comment about a universe where bastards sometimes get what they deserve didn't make her nor my GF happy.

However, the Stax is repairable, but the modded K340 I've originally planned to add to the list is history.I could bring an unmodded K340 (on request) in case someone wants to audition it, but honestly a stock K340 isn't that special.
And I'm really short on cables now.
Decent digital cables would be appreciated.Coax, Toslink and XLR , whatever you have.

An analog XLR cable for connecting to Norbert Lehmann's Pro amp would be nice since both my DACs provide balanced outputs.

Another cable I'd like to see is a adapter cable for connecting the K1000 to the powerful Corda headamps (4 pin XLR to 1/4 ").So if someone has such a cable ..........

Power cables are not that much of an issue since two of my amps are battery powered and I'm not that much of a believer in huge differences in power cables anyway, the fancy ones just look better.

We are really short on power related stuff.Especially power strips.My audio related power strips at home were surplus when a physics lab at my local university was reconstructed.They are built into a desk and are not detachable.
I have some cheap power strips in my household, but these are really crappy.

Also on request I could bring a DIY tube amp.This amp isn't exactly what I'd call hi-fi in the term's original sense.It's coloring the sound and smoothes it out.I'm utilizing this amp to make substandard recordings or internet radio listenable.

Feb 6, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #197 of 265
plainface.gif
oh my dog
my sincerest condolences for the losses ..

quite a sad story .. and incredible , it wasn't even your dog .. if a thing like this happened to me ( and eventually hp-2 or ps-1 damaged ) I would probably go quite mad on it

Feb 6, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #198 of 265
Ahh - that is a terrible bad luck for everyone involved.
frown.gif
I hope you are able to look forward to the meet.

As to cables: the ones your are looking for, at least I don't have. Perhaps Norbert or Jan are able to bring a few of the kind?

Feb 6, 2006 at 10:42 AM Post #199 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by luuk
If centerparcs won't work I will try to find something else, when I have the time(that will be tuesday). If anybody got some suggestions?
Isn't there a local guy attending the meeting--> maybe he knows a good spot for the meet.

Yeah - wasn't there somebody in a neighbouring village? Anyhow, it shouldn’t be more complicated than asking the Tourism Office there about options, or perhaps the local folk-dance club where they usually hang out. They need some good space too, with mains connections.
tongue.gif

I could do some enquiry too. However, I am not sure I would be possible for me to collect the keys Friday or early Saturday and then take the responsibility to close the place later since I will probably have somebody I need to pick up at the airport and to bring back later. Lets first see what Richer Di will tell us today about the Center Parcs room.

Feb 6, 2006 at 10:53 AM Post #200 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
Ahh - that is a terrible bad luck for everyone involved.
frown.gif

Especially for the dog.
The dog wasn't supposed to enter my room to begin with, and an unobserved dog in a room full of delicate gear is careless.
The owner of the dog is liability insured, but nevertheless I will end with a substantial loss.They will reimburse me for the commercial cables, but the value of DIY cables and a self modded K340 is a question of perspective.
C'est la vie.

Feb 6, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #201 of 265
Firestarter, I see that you are logged on at the moment. Could you please tell us if having the meet at your parents place on Saturday is a go?

Feb 6, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #202 of 265
and he's offline again.
mm, don't want to attack him, he will probably has his reasons to act like this, but it's really frustrating me--> I thought we had a deal!
Since I'm the one who's organizing it, I'm feeling a bit guilty and responsible to find another spot, while I don't got masses of time on my hand.

Feb 6, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #203 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by luuk
and he's offline again.
mm, don't want to attack him, he will probably has his reasons to act like this, but it's really frustrating me--> I thought we had a deal!
Since I'm the one who's organizing it, I'm feeling a bit guilty and responsible to find another spot, while I don't got masses of time on my hand.

I think that desides it. I don't think we can coun’t on Firestarter this time. I hope he's OK.

If Richter Di doesn't/can’t post tonight, I'll give him a ring. If the Center Parcs is not possible, I'll contact the local Tourist Office tomorrow morning and PM you about the outcome. All right?
smily_headphones1.gif
I think its important to get a new location ASAP.

Feb 6, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #204 of 265
Hi, Center Prc told me that it is not possible to held it there. Have an Hotel name (Talens in Coevorden) close to here. Will call them tomorrow. Post tomorrow if it is possible or not. Regards, Reiner

Feb 6, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #205 of 265
Hi Reiner,

Thanks for taking all the trouble. It's a pity you have to spend some of your precious holiday time on this one.

> Have an Hotel name (Talens in Coevorden) close to here.

Actually, seems like a very good solution. This hotel is only 300 meters from the railway station. Easy for those who come by train.

Cheers

Jan

Feb 6, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #206 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
Especially for the dog....

What a sad story. I'm really sorry - for the dog and for your gear of course!

Quote:

Originally Posted by glod
I don't think we can coun’t on Firestarter this time.

This seems to be clear now.
If there are problems this didn't have to be discussed in public, a short PM (I'm sorry, but it's unfortunately impossible to have the meeting where it was planned.) would have been enough and I guess that no one around here would have been annoyed. But handling it this way isn't nice. However I hope Firestarter is fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richter Di
Have an Hotel name (Talens in Coevorden) close to here. Will call them tomorrow. Post tomorrow if it is possible or not. Regards, Reiner

Thank you for your efforts.

Hope this will be possible. It would really be a pity if we had to give up the meeting.
As cosmogragma has stated moderate costs will not hold us back.

Feb 6, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #207 of 265
Headphones:
----------
1x AKG K240DF
2x AKG K-1000
1x AKG K701
1x Audiotechnika ATH W-1000
1X Beyerdynamik DT 331
1x Beyerdynamic DT 931
1x Koss KSC 75
1x Koss Portapro
1x Grado SR 225 w/ bowls, flats, Senn pads
1x Grado RS1
3x Sennheiser HD 650
2x Sennheiser HD 595
1x Sennheiser HD 590-v1
1x Sennheiser PXC 250
2x Sennheiser PX 100
1x Sennheiser Unipolar 2000 + Her 2000
1x Stax STS 3030 Classic Sytem II
1x Westone ES2
1x Westone UM2

Amplifiers:
---------
1 x Autocostruire T-amp
1x CEC HD 53 (modified)
1x CEC CD 5300 (built in headphone amp)
1 x HeadAmp GS-1
2 - 3x Lehmann audio Black Cube Linear
1x Lehmann audio Black Cube Linear USB (prototype)
1x Lehmann audio Black Cube Linear PRO (XLR-input) if balanced source is available
1x Lehmann audio Black Cube Stamp power amp (for really loud K1000 listening)
1x Meier Corda Aria
1 x Meier Porta Corda mk II (with PSU)
1x Meier Porta Corda mk III USB
1 x Musical Fidelity X10-D v.2 (tube-buffer)
1 x RA-1 clone
1 x SinglePower Audio MPX3
2 x Sonic Impact T-amp (unmodded)

Sources:
--------
1 x Aqvox USB 2 D/A
1 x Benchmark DAC 1
1x CEC CD 5300
1 x Classé CDP-10
1 x Iriver IHP 120 DAP (optical out)
1x Laptop Acer Travelmate
1x Toshiba Laptop with Echo Indigo
1 x Marantz CD6000OSE
1 x Marantz ST6000 (tuner)
1 x Palm Tungsten V
1x Pioneer DV-575A
1 x Rega Planet (the original version)
1x Yamaha DVD-S657
1x Sony CDP 557ESD
1x Sony X202ES

Cables:
-------
Headphone cables :
2x Cardas Sennheiser Cable
1 x RnB Audio Grace Five Two Sennheiser Cable
1 x Stefan AudioArt Equinox Sennheiser Cable
-------------------------------
Interconnects (pairs) :
1 X Amity
1 xNordost Red Dawn
1 X TMR
2x Van den Hul First Ultimate
1 x Van den Hul The Bay C5 HYBRID
1 x Van den Hul D-102 mk III
1 x Van den Hul The First Metal Screen
2x Voodoo Cable

Digital :
------------------------
2 x Dunno SP/DIF coax (made in Germany )
1 x Dunno Toslink ("Profiline Audio", haha)

Power related equipment:
------------------------
2x Van den Hul MAINSTREAM power cords
HMS Energia filtered power strip
2x Lapp Cable power cords

Other :
--------------------------
1 x Audio Quest RCA T-splitter pair
1 X ASL UHC]

Feb 7, 2006 at 10:08 AM Post #208 of 265
Phoned the hotel. The room is available. Will visit it and if it fits book it. Costs are 50 Euro for the room (not per person) for half a day. I suggest the meeting going on from 12 to 18 pm. Hope this fits for everybody. I will pay those 50 bucks. If more time is needed maybe someoneelse might donate. Please eat and drink in the hotel since this part of the deal. Be back on this internet station at the evening. Regards, Reiner

Feb 7, 2006 at 10:37 AM Post #209 of 265
Quote:

Phoned the hotel. The room is available. Will visit it and if it fits book it. Costs are 50 Euro for the room (not per person) for half a day. I suggest the meeting going on from 12 to 18 pm. Hope this fits for everybody. I will pay those 50 bucks. If more time is needed maybe someoneelse might donate. Please eat and drink in the hotel since this part of the deal. Be back on this internet station at the evening. Regards, Reiner

sounds fantastic! thanks for the effort!

Feb 7, 2006 at 10:54 AM Post #210 of 265
Quote:

That is really great Reiner. Thanks! I hope the room turns out to fit our needs, i.e. room for 15-20 head-fi'ers without having to sit on each others laps, sufficient number of mains outlets, tables and chairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back